About provisional license

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby mzonas » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi there,

I have provisional license. I would like to learn to drive (already did though). Some say that if you have a provisional license you can drive normally on streets (except on motorways) with a person who has held full UK license for at least 3 years but the car is needed to be insured on a learner's name as well as the passenger's. Other say that you just need to have 'L' letter on car.

Could anyone explain what do I need to have in order to go on streets with provisional license except instructor?

Thank you very much.
mzonas

Postby daz6215 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:35 pm

daz6215

Postby mzonas » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks. That really helped me. Now I know everything I need to. Thank you very much. +1
mzonas

Postby ROG » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:34 am

I would recommend that potential learners find an off-road area to get the basic controls mastered in a 'friends car' before going onto the public highway - this way the cash for the insurance can be delayed and is not wasted on learning the basics.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Red Herring » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:36 am

Careful Rog, most of the public consider "off road" to be car parks and such like where clearly you do need insurance.
Red Herring

Postby ROG » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:42 am

Red Herring wrote:Careful Rog, most of the public consider "off road" to be car parks and such like where clearly you do need insurance.

Thanks - noted for future reference :D :D

I suppose I am lucky that I have a private parking area outside my front door where starting and stopping can be done as well as an empty-on-Sunday small Industrial estate for 2nd gear speed & manouvering.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to Learner Driver Forum