Learning the Highway Code

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:10 am

I thought I'd post in here as it's probably most relevant to new drivers, but I was wondering if anyone had any useful (free if possible ;)) resources for helping to learn the Highway Code. I can find online resources to test for knowledge of road signs, but nothing seems to test recollection of the contents of the rules. I'd rather avoid "multiple guess" if possible.

I'm happy to create my own if need be, but don't want to be re-inventing the wheel unnecessarily :D

Thanks, Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Get a friend or family member to ask you questions on it.

If you can get a very experienced driver to ask you questions - even better - as they can explain the reasons as well.

Or with a someone online who will put various ones to you on MSN or similar by having 2 windows open and then the questions can be copied and pasted from HERE

example -
Take extra care at junctions. You should
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reply, Rog. I'm really looking for a means of removing the human from the equation so ideally I'd just want a way of repeatedly asking random HC questions and being able to validate the answers. No real need to be able to regurgitate it and the focus would mainly be on the must's and must-not's, as well as signs and markings.

As said, I'm happy to create something myself, but didn't see any point in reinventing the wheel if someone else has already done it :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Renny » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:21 am

Some of the Theory Test training CDs have a training section as well as the Theory Qs. IIRC, the Focus Media one (that you can get in most Supermarkets for <£10) had this. I used it when preparing for my ADI part 1. I also loaned it to a mate who recently sat his Theory Test (and passed).

You could also have a go at the Hazard Perception exercises if you want...
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks, Renny, I'll look into those :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Return to Learner Driver Forum