Is he taking too long?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Tim Keenan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:02 am

Hi folks,

My step-son has been taking lessons with a local ADI since June this year and as yet he has only been driven to an industrial estate, about twenty minutes away, to drive around. I was wondering what your veiws were on his instructor wasting up to fourty minutes of his two hour lesson and the fact that he does not seem to allow him to drive from the house.

Tim.
Tim Keenan

Postby jbsportstech » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:12 am

Tricky one as I dont think its in an adi interests to waste lessons so I assume your step son is not taking to driving very quickly and the adi feels that it is the most suitable place for him to drive.

I would go out with him and see what level he is up to now. If you can't as you dont have suitable vehicle and insurance etc. Then maybe refer him to another adi for assesment just to check that the adi in question is not failing your stepson.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby daz6215 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:18 am

Why not ask to sit in the back on a lesson to see whats going on?
daz6215

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Until recently I was teaching my son to drive from scratch,he started back in April of this year until October when he passed his test. Now,I started off by hiring a dual control car,to give me the security of being in control when out in case any little mistakes took place.

I must add I am not an ADI but feel I have got a good sound driving background,and can tell you it is not easy teaching especially someone who you know as you want to make sure that you are giving them the best.

I would say that after about 4th or 5th lesson your step son should be able to do the basic move off and stop,so,should be able to drive off comfortably from your house.

I would certainly have a word with the Instructor and see what the problem is if any,after all you are all paying the money to pay for his lessons.

You could even be subtle with the Instructor if you dont want to go one to one with him and ask him if he is ready to have private lessons,driving the family car,and see what he says.

Either way good luck,and hiope he does not have too many problems.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby dth » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:44 pm

I think sitting in on a lesson is an option further down the line and you won't see what is really going on if the ADI is not doing things properly on the other lessons. It may also create barriers that don't need to be there yet.

If you think you know enough about it to assess your son's skills in your own car etc etc fine. But if the ADI is worth his salt, he should not object to a non-aggressive approach for a general discussion and debrief with you when he next arrives for a lesson without your son being in ear-shot. Teaching driving is not what many people think it is hence why many avoid having to do it for siblings.

Prior to that, you should get some honest feedback from your son as to what he is doing on his lessons. If all this isn't possible, ring the ADI. Communication and understanding is the key.

Without being rude or funny here, his skills may be way below the norm and the ADI is doing appropriate work despite what the learner says. Some (learners and parents!) think 10-12 lessons is all that's needed to start thinking of booking a test. It may not be that straight-forward!

But if you don't ask, you won't know!
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby zadocbrown » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:54 pm

Tim Keenan wrote:Hi folks,

My step-son has been taking lessons with a local ADI since June this year and as yet he has only been driven to an industrial estate, about twenty minutes away, to drive around. I was wondering what your veiws were on his instructor wasting up to fourty minutes of his two hour lesson and the fact that he does not seem to allow him to drive from the house.

Tim.

It's impossible to form a view without being in the vehicle. Tell the ADI you're thinking of taking your step-son out for some extra practice, and you'd like to sit in on a lesson to see how he's doing.

Is the time being wasted? Or is the ADI giving useful demonstrations?

Is the area you live in too difficult for your step-son to negotiate yet? There's no point giving a pupil such a difficult start that they're on edge for the rest of the lesson.

Some ADIs like to go into more challenging conditions earlier than others. Neither approach is necessarily wrong, so long as it suits the pupil.

The key question is: Is the pupil being given good opportunities to learn, or not?
zadocbrown

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:01 pm

dth wrote:I think sitting in on a lesson is an option further down the line and you won't see what is really going on if the ADI is not doing things properly on the other lessons. It may also create barriers that don't need to be there yet.

I tend to agree with this. If your step-son is struggling with driving then the last thing he needs is some added pressure to perform well, so I'd make sure I spoke to the ADI to see how he is progressing before suggesting you sit in the car during a lesson.

I like the suggestion of approaching the ADI and saying you're keen to help your step-son practise between lessons and could he highlight some things that need work so you can focus on them. I think you'll soon get a feel for how he's doing.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Moved to Learner forum :)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby PeterE » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:13 pm

This does seem very slow to me - from experience of family and friends I would expect a learner to be able to get to test readiness by six months from the first lesson.

However, we have to accept that some people simply don't take to driving - I remember two of my school contemporaries from many years ago took numerous lessons but never got round to taking a test.

Perhaps you could discreetly ask the lad himself how he's getting on.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Stephen » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:06 pm

I dont think realistically you can put a time limit on these things there are smuch to consider,like how many lessons a week is he getting,and of course the main one is how quickly is he picking it up,as has been said not everybody learns at the same pace. In my opinion a learner should be getting around 50 lessons this will make him a good basis to start to learn once he passes his test.
Stephen

Postby daz6215 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:44 pm

hopefully if he' been taught correctly and to a high standard he should not need to start learning after he passes, He may however choose to further his education with iam, rospa etc.
daz6215

Postby bloosuzy2 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:41 pm

I drove for 12 months when i was 17, that was just learning, but it was with a friend, after 12 months life changed and i never drove again, was not interested, years went bye, and i decided to do my test and driving lessons, so i booked a well known school, i was fully confident, knew my highway code, always asked questions when i was 17, i liked practical not theary, what does that mean and what does this mean, and what are those to lines in the middle of the road etc etc,
Then i got in the car with the ADI, and drove for two hours, and the following week, and the following week, he use to sit there with his sunglasses on, i never got any feed back, did not know if i was doing any wrong, and this went on for three months, i was driving down the road and i droped to 20 no cars behind me, he said what have you droped to 20 for this is a 30 mile road, i said there is a boy betwwn the cars on my left hand side near the shop, and what happ the kid ran out in front of me, that ADI never said a word,he should have spotted him himself, i was burning,then there were 3 more inc, so what i did, i went into the bicycle lane at the traffic lights, and i know thats a fail if you are doing a test, the idiot never corrected me, i thought right , so i went to another well known driving school, still while i had this other ADI, i thought i will see the difference, and wow what a difference, got to the top of the road, and he pulled me over, you did not check your blind spot, i thought you will do for me man, i did four hours at a time with him, i told him give me some stick i can take it, he said you have asked for it i will give you a hard time, and by jesus, he would not let me get away with one thing, i use to cry,he said this is for your own good, when you get out there alone then this is when you will think of what i have taught you,i still had the other driver but, i droped him to one hour a week, i did not tell either driver i had them both, i was ready for my test, with driver no 2, i was out with my first driver, i said, take me to the test centre while i reverse in their carpark, while i was there i thought i was sure i had seen my second driver getting into a car, but i thought no, i was just afraid of him seeing me with another driver, my first driver said, one of the cheif examiners was in there, i said right,on my next lesson, with driver no 2, i said was you in the centre wednesday, he said cant rem, well i went in for my test got 2 minors,my second ADI said your foot controll is brilliant time passed, i had seen something in a newspaper about my 2 driver, he was an x examiner and an x cop but gave the cop up years before, i would rec him to any one,and when i drive i can hear him in my head, infinity and behond, etc etc etc,tell your son to try another school of motoring, he might get on better with another ADI
bloosuzy2

Return to Learner Driver Forum