New driver - motorways etc.

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 pm

ROG wrote:For joining mtorways -
Build up as much speed as you can in the slip road as it is quicker to slow down than to speed up when matching your speed to that of those on the motorway

BUT be very aware of what is happening behind you, you don't want the prat behind rear ending you if you do have to slow down quickly - you can bet your bottom dollar he isn't watching you as much as what is approaching on the motorway!

ROG wrote:Plan to use ALL of the slip road and don't be tempted to join early as the longer you are in the slip road, the more chance you and others have of adjusting speed & position.

But if there is a good size gap to move into, I see no problem in joining early (provided you aren't crossing a solid white line to do so).

ROG wrote:If poss, use the right side of the slip road as you get an earlier view of those on the motorway and they see you earlier.

Depends on the gradient of the slip road. If the slip road is up hill then the left lane may give a better view. There are pros and cons to each lane, the one to choose is the one you consider to have more pros for you!

ROG wrote:Not a scientific method, but use the lane lines for calculating a safe gap - one lane line = 10mph so a 70 gap will need 7 lane lines distance.

Signal at least 6 times whilst staying in your lane before moving towards the line for an overtake - 6 clicks = about 2 seconds.

I have always suggested 4 or 5 flashes (often 2 clicks per flash) but I have also seen 1 flash per 10 mph.

Andrewh, Reasoning behind the number of flashes is that it can take some drivers that long to simply realise you are signalling, let alone what you are signalling.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:45 pm

Thinking about what's implied in the previous two posts, I think it can be summed up as "with light traffic on the motorway, use the r/h lane of the slip road so as to make yourself most visible, and join the motorway quickly and painlessly. With heavy traffic on the motorway, use the l/h lane, which gives you more time to adjust your speed and find a suitable gap".

Of course the topography also influences your choice. Where visibility is reduced, use whichever lane gives you the best view.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:49 pm

To an extent Nick, I agree. I would also suggest the driver's confidence should be brought into play. A new driver going onto the motorway for the first time may be more comfortable using the left lane, just for the increased space to build up to the relevent speed.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:36 pm

waremark wrote:
ROG wrote:If poss, use the right side of the slip road as you get an earlier view of those on the motorway and they see you earlier.

But - very often lane 2 of the slip road ends over quite a short distance. In my opinion you don't want to let yourself be in lane 2 where it ends until you are confident that there will be a suitable gap in lane 1 of the motorway when you get there. You must then be ready to allow traffic from lane 1 of the slip road to merge onto the motorway.

Sorry - I should have said the right side of a slip road that is designed to contain 2 vehicles but does not have a 'seperator' of any kind
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby andrewh » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:44 pm

adiNigel wrote:Andrewh, Reasoning behind the number of flashes is that it can take some drivers that long to simply realise you are signalling, let alone what you are signalling.

So far I've got by on the intuitive method of signalling as soon as I get onto the slip road. As I'm going down it, I'm using my mirror and looking round to the right, and so far, luckily, drivers on the motorway have either cleared out of lane 1 or given me space to join.

When I was on my motorway lesson I did witness one driver using lane 1 with a slip road approaching, and failing to slow down, speed up or change lanes, putting the joining driver under unnecessary pressure. Seeing that really cemented an idea of how to act joining the motorway and while on it.

As one person said previously, being on the motorway is actually a lot more relaxing than being on dual carriageways around London!

Happy new year to all!
andrewh

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:24 am

andrewh wrote:....When I was on my motorway lesson I did witness one driver using lane 1 with a slip road approaching, and failing to slow down, speed up or change lanes, putting the joining driver under unnecessary pressure. Seeing that really cemented an idea of how to act joining the motorway and while on it......

Well, actually the driver in lane 1 could have moved out if possible to help the driver on the slip road join BUT slow down or speed up? The onus is on the joining driver to fit in with the traffic on the motorway so the best thing the driver in lane 1 can do (if he can't move to lane 2) is to maintain a constant speed.

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum