New driver - motorways etc.

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby andrewh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi there,

I've just passed on Friday, first time (thank God!) and now in possession of a car. I found this forum very helpful in the run up to the test so can I say thanks a lot!

I'm over 30 (and under 35 ;)) so I like to think I've got a good head on my shoulders, but I'd appreciate knowing any advice for approaching motorways as a new driver.

To be honest, I didn't really get over 50mph during my lessons, and naturally driving on motorways is illegal without a full license, so holding 70mph for extended periods is new territory. I know about Pass Plus but unfortunately my wallet can't take that this side of Christmas, and my instructor doesn't generally take people on after 3 weeks of passing their test.

So, what general advice do you have as to the differences between driving on normal roads and dual carriageways, and the motorway?

I'm in London so I've had some "interesting" experiences already on the various dual carriageways and even the M4 in London, but I'm planning to do the M6 to Carlisle at Christmas and would appreciate any tips about that road in particular!

Of course, I might just need to get on and do it, feel free to tell me I'm over-thinking it!

Cheers,
Andrew
andrewh

Postby firstmk1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:36 pm

For my first venture onto a motorway I took an experienced driver as my passenger. Having someone to help in real time really helped.

Oh yes, congratulations on passing. :)
Ian
firstmk1

Postby crr003 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:53 pm

andrewh wrote:So, what general advice do you have as to the differences between driving on normal roads and dual carriageways, and the motorway?

Well done on passing and here's to many happy years of motoring till the Government takes it away from us.

1. Leave a nice gap. As soon as you can, develop a sense of a "bubble of space" around you, without other vehicles being in it. Easier to say than to do.
2. Don't hang around alongside vehicles: get past into a safe gap or stay back. Otherwise an LGV will spin you off the road (a tad melodramatic, but happens every day.....)
3. Don't drive too slowly - that causes its own problems.
4. Look ahead - as far as possible and scan back. Don't fixate on the car ahead (or the other "advanced technique" of two cars ahead).
5. Look behind - other people will want to get past. Some have blue lights!

Enjoy the drive, and think about IAM or RoADAR when you can find the money.
crr003

Postby waremark » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:38 am

Before you join, know your junction number for leaving, and be aware of any motorway merges etc. Joining the M6 at M1 J19 should be quite easy, but the route past Birmingham needs some planning. If you are taking the toll road have means of payment to hand (you can use a credit card). Plan where you are going to stop for breaks or fuel. The Highway Code suggestion of a 15 minute break every two hours is quite ambitious for your first long journey. You should probably plan on shorter stages than that.

Joining from a slip, remember that Lane 1 moves at about an indicated 60 mph, and get up to this sort of speed in good time to merge with motorway traffic. If there are two lanes on the slip, in the early days you probably want to be in the left lane, and to make sure there is no one alongside you as you approach the end of the slip.

When you are ready to move to Lane 2, remember not only to give way to traffic already in lane 2, and also anyone who may be moving into lane 2 from lane 3.
waremark

Postby jont » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:47 pm

As well as the advice above, it's also worth doing a basic maintenance check of your car - tyre pressures are okay (and tyres are damage free) - if the car is heavily loaded then you might want a few more PSI than normal in the tyres (especially the rear) - check your handbook for guidance.
It goes without saying for most - but check you've got enough fuel for the journey (or at least to the next services).

At this time of year it's worth while making sure you've got plenty of screenwash with a decent concentration in case you encouter freezing conditions on the way - I also often take a few bits of rag/kitchen towel so I can clean the lights at the services (unless you have headlamp washers).

Most motorways sign at least the next two lots of service stations (eg 1m and 30m) so you can plan your stops.

If you assume everyone around you is an idiot and just as likely to make mistakes as you are, you should have a reasonable sense of self-preservation. A lot of people who don't do many miles will be making long trips to see friends/family at this time of year so the idiot factor is higher than usual.

Have a good trip,

Jon
<edit>
Just to add to Chris's comments about the M6 toll - the signage around there is terrible, and seems to do everything possible to get you on the toll road.

Radio 2 is good for traffic updates, but unless you have a navigator with you who's happy to read a map, it might not be helpful to hear where all the jams are!
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:59 pm

Keep a really good eye on your mirrors, especially when changing lanes. Plan lane changes in advance, so you are sure what is behind you, and what is in your blind spot or beside you. A bit like crossing the road, look behind, beside, and behind again. Signal in plenty of time, especially for moving out. Signals for moving back are optional, but courteous. Don't cut straight back in in front of somebody, wait until you can see the whole of the car you just overtook in your interior mirror before pulling back in.

Take regular breaks, as already stated. If you have to do London-Carlisle on your own, as a new driver, you will be exhausted at the end of it. It could be 8 hours at this time of year.

And as Jon said, check your car over before setting off. If it uses any fluids such as oil or coolant, buy some to take in the boot, don't rely on getting it at motorway services as they may not have what you want and their prices can be horrendous.

Keep your lights and windscreen clean. A dirty windscreen and poorly performing lights will tire you out from squinting and having to concentrate even harder than usual.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Big Err » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Watch out for vehicles particularly in your nearside rear quarter blind spot particulary at merges and when changing lane from lane 3 to lane 2.

It's amazing how many drivers will accelerate up your inside in these circumstances.
Big Err

Postby Porker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Lots of good advice there.

I really would emphasise the value of having an experienced driver as a passenger when you first drive on a motorway.

Secondly, when joining the motorway from the sliproad, you need to be in a flexible gear - third or fourth perhaps - so that you have the ability to accelerate reasonably briskly (and use engine braking if required) in order to be able to merge with the traffic flow safely.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:06 pm

Take it easy leave lots of space between you and other road users. Don't get all bunched up in a cluster of vehicles as this is where it tends to go wrong on motorways. You will use a lot less fuel traveling at 70mph than 80 or even 90 plus it keeps you out of the 6 point zone. Make sure you check your car b4 going on the motorway:

1) Oil level
2) Coolant
3) Tyre pressures including the spare if you have one., Condition no damage etc at least 2mm if not 3mm plus.
4) Especially applicable in winter make sure all glass is clear so you have good visibailty
5) Make sure you lights and clean and all working.
6) Make sure you have enough fuel (Sounds simple but you would be amazed how many people RAC and AA rescue everyday)
7) Check the Horn (somewhere senseable)

Get addtional training like pass plus....

In year or so look at getting into a IAM or ROSPA group and get some more training.

Key thing dont make the mistake that alot of people make on the motorway. If you are changing lane consult your mirrors check you blind spot, then if clear put you trafficator on for 3-4 seconds then make a smooth transition into teh desired lane. That is the safest technique for changing lane on multi lane carriageways.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Custom24 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:21 pm

All this advice is excellent.

Don't be too nervous or worried about it either. Motorways are actually easier to drive on and safer than dual carriageways - look at the advantages - hard shoulder, more lanes, proper junctions with long slip roads (in the main), no gaps in the central reservation or barrier for people to turn across in front of you, predictable services, better signage, better and more matrix signs, you can see further, and the bends are better designed.

You could build yourself up into a right nervous state about your first time - enjoy it.

You could also go on one for a couple of junctions when it is quiet to get a feel for the slip roads and how it all works. If possible with an experienced driver, as others have said.

If you go on to do further training, you may find that like some of us, you end up avoiding motorways not because they are difficult, but because they are boring. Don't get so bored of them that you drop your concentration, however!
Custom24

Postby andrewh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Wow, plenty of A-grade advice here. Thanks a lot people! This forum is top-notch.

I have booked a two-hour motorway lesson for this Sunday (watch out!) and will supplement that with some motorway miles with an experienced friend before I go on the big trip. Regarding the car, I'm having it serviced this week so it should be in good shape for the trip. I'll make sure I carry some supplies with me just in case!

I probably will end up taking the toll road, I've always enjoyed it more as a passenger and it will get me up north quicker, so it makes sense.

I suppose the fear come from travelling faster than before, and having to be much more aware of movement, as many of you have mentioned. I suspect once I've spent a few hours on the motorway this fear will fade.

Thanks again, I will report back with progress! :)

Andrew
andrewh

Postby jont » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:44 pm

andrewh wrote:I suppose the fear come from travelling faster than before, and having to be much more aware of movement, as many of you have mentioned. I suspect once I've spent a few hours on the motorway this fear will fade.

Equally be careful when you come off the motorway that your sense of speed isn't numbed too much and you end up going quicker than you thought (eg especially if you go straight into a 30 from the motorway)
jont

Postby michael769 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:47 pm

andrewh wrote:
I suppose the fear come from travelling faster than before, and having to be much more aware of movement, as many of you have mentioned. I suspect once I've spent a few hours on the motorway this fear will fade.

The hardest bit is getting onto the motorway.

Once you are there you will adjust to the higher speeds very quickly, which leads to a very important point. When you come off the motorway check you speedometer! When I was staring out I found it hard to adjust my speed perception back down to normal roads, and as a result there is a tendency to approach hazards much faster than you normally would.

The other bit of advice is to check your following distances frequently especially where the traffic is queuing. It took me years to get used to the correct following distances at high speeds and my observation is that most folks badly underestimate the amount of space they need in front.

Finally expect a sore back if you are going a long distance and your body is not yet used to spending hours at a time behind the wheel.
michael769

Postby MikeG » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:05 pm

Nothing to add to the already excellent advice except have some breakdown
cover in place (if you haven't already), just in case 'Murphy should put his oar in'. And perhaps invest in some high viz vests.

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby Big Err » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:50 pm

MikeG wrote:Nothing to add to the already excellent advice except have some breakdown cover in place

Best not to try a repair yourself at the side of the motorway. Call the breakdown company and get yourself as far from the live traffic as feasibly possible for the conditions and environment you're in. A good 6'+ behind a verge side safety barrier is a good option.
Big Err

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum