Snow driving

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 am

Big Err wrote:
Bluecray wrote:I laugh at the poor BMW drivers struggling in the snow rear wheel drive and a BMW in snow just doesn't work!

A couple of paving slabs in the boot and rear wheel drive will go anywhere in the snow.

Does anyone have experience of those little "escape ramp" things that you use if you get stuck in the snow/mud? I've seen them somewhere, possibly the IAM mag, and for £20 or so, seems like a reasonable bit of kit to have during the winter period if snow is falling.

Can't find a decent link, but see here and here for examples of what I mean.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby dombooth » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 am

The problem with the above is you've got to stop to pick them up again and chances are you'll get stuck. :lol:

http://reviews.asda.com/1440-en_gb/0010 ... eviews.htm

I've got a set of those, when winter starts to set back in they should have them back in stock.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Renny » Wed May 02, 2012 11:19 am

Bluecray wrote:I laugh at the poor BMW drivers struggling in the snow rear wheel drive and a BMW in snow just doesn't work!

Some of us BMW owners laugh at the fwd owners who get stuck, or slide off into the kerbside because they haven't had the foresight to fit winter tyres which allow us to get traction for braking, steering and acceleration, unlike those who are struggling on wide summer tyres. Wide, summer tyres do not grip on snow, slush or ice, many drivers rely on electronic aids to assist them with traction or braking, but forget about the basic laws of physics. Some of us are old/experienced enough as have to learn how to drive rwd in poor conditions without electronic aids of ABS, ETC etc.

Then, when we get to a nice deserted bit of private road, we can practice our car control with nice balanced slides :D .
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby TripleS » Wed May 02, 2012 1:39 pm

dombooth wrote:The problem with the above is you've got to stop to pick them up again and chances are you'll get stuck. :lol:
Dom

Somebody once suggested:

....suitable lengths of rope, one end tied to rear bumper, t'other end tied to your traction device or mat....and Bob's yer uncle, you stop again when you're through the tricky bit.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby dombooth » Wed May 02, 2012 2:02 pm

TripleS wrote:
dombooth wrote:The problem with the above is you've got to stop to pick them up again and chances are you'll get stuck. :lol:
Dom

Somebody once suggested:

....suitable lengths of rope, one end tied to rear bumper, t'other end tied to your traction device or mat....and Bob's yer uncle, you stop again when you're through the tricky bit.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Not sure I like the idea of having things trailing on the floor attached to the back of the car thanks. :wink:

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Bluecray » Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Tell you what my classic mini fwd and no abs or any electronic gimzo will drive in snow easy peasy!
Bluecray

Postby dombooth » Wed May 02, 2012 6:59 pm

chriskay wrote:Loved this bit on the ASDA review.
" For removal, the vehicle must not be in motion" :mrgreen:

LOL.

The other one is "Do I have to jack the car up to get them on?" *Facepalm*

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum