Snow driving

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm

Overhearing a number of people discussing driving in the recent snowy weather, several have mentioned that they were taught (or perhaps advised once they'd qualified) to avoid use of the brakes and to prefer engine-braking when driving in snow. This doesn't seem to me to be good advice, and I can't see that it ever was! Has this ever been something learners were taught? If so, what was the thinking behind it? Am I missing something?
kfae8959

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:03 pm

You're controlling the speed of the vehicle whilst minimising the risk of locking up the wheels. If you use the brakes there's a higher chance (even with ABS) of sliding. I remember in my offroading days watching someone on a hill descent popping his Land Rover in neutral and using the brakes when the speed got too high. He was lucky it was only a small hill as the brakes locked and he slid about half way down still piling on the speed. Don't think he made that mistake again and he learnt what a low range box is for :lol:

Can't comment as to whether it's taught to learners but I suspect a lot of people don't get real-world experience of it on a lesson! :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Gareth » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:31 pm

kfae8959 wrote:taught (or perhaps advised once they'd qualified) to avoid use of the brakes and to prefer engine-braking when driving in snow

On low friction surfaces it is important to be very smooth. Many people really aren't all that smooth when applying brakes so, for them, using engine braking is a way to apply retardation more smoothly than braking.

Doing this has another benefit - drivers who are hoping to avoid using brakes will need to look further ahead and plan to have more space in which to slow down.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:14 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:You're controlling the speed of the vehicle whilst minimising the risk of locking up the wheels. If you use the brakes there's a higher chance (even with ABS) of sliding.
Chris

I don't think that the amount of grip available varies according to what means you use to slow down the wheels, does it? Certainly selecting a lower gear when you've reached your chosen speed, in order to use engine-braking to keep to that speed, is a good plan, but that's not only true on low-grip surfaces.

Whilst the example Chris gave concerned a four-wheel drive vehicle, most people will have only two driven wheels, so the braking force of the engine is only applied to one axle, which can't be great for stability. And whilst it may be that people struggle to be sufficiently smooth with the brakes, at least they are in direct control of the amount of braking being applied. So, you haven't convinced me yet!

David
kfae8959

Postby daz6215 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:50 pm

kfae8959 wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:You're controlling the speed of the vehicle whilst minimising the risk of locking up the wheels. If you use the brakes there's a higher chance (even with ABS) of sliding.
Chris

I don't think that the amount of grip available varies according to what means you use to slow down the wheels, does it?

David

It certainly helps you to steer! Try steering and braking on snow.
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Braking in slippy conditions - no prob if got good feeling through sloes of feet and applying very gradually.
A lot of drivers do not or cannot seem to do just that !!
So, Gearing down can be a better option for such drivers and NO accelerator - clutch control only - this works for most as I have found out this week when teaching a few non-advanced drivers.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Angus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:32 pm

ROG wrote:sloes of feet

Berry careful? :D
Angus

Postby stevo8851 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:48 pm

heres my go.....

As well as an advanced driving instructor I am a cross-country driving instructor with extensive experience with snow driving, so here goes:

If you feel the need to break, footbreak or enginebreaking you are driving too fast for the conditions.

You require a higher gear and lower revs, which is in contrast to normal driving drills I know, but is the safest way, as this stops you overrevving and causing wheel spin. Once this gear/rev ratio has been met, you stick with it and DO NOT change... you keep a constant speed. You use hazard-perception drills to look at the road ahead and if required ease off a little to negotiate any hazards i.e roundabouts.

If you use engine breaking then you are changing 'down' to a gear while the vehicle is moving at a pace faster than the selected gear is for, therefor you will cause the 'centrifugal' force to be pushed to the front, causing a possible rear end skid.

It has also been advised to 'de-clutch' and let the vehicle slow down naturally.... NO. This only works if used correctly while 'aquaplaning' If you de-clutch, you have disengaged drive to the wheels and you are basically free wheeling and not in control of the vehicle.. YOU WILL LOSE CONTROL.

If you do skid, DO NOT try and compensate with the steering by oversteering to the opposite way, as soon as grip is returned to the tyres the steering wheel will be ripped from your grasp and you will lose the back end. You must hold the steering tight and not move it at all!!!

SLIGHTLY HIGHER GEAR WITH SLIGHTLY LOWER REVS AT A CONSTANT SPEED, NO CHANGING UP A GEAR, LOOK AT THE ROAD WELL AHEAD AND IF NECESSARY EASE OFF GENTLY WHEN NEGOTIATING HAZARDS THEN VERY GENTLY BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL REV (TO GEAR) RATIO. IF YOU ARE REQUIRED TO COME TO A HALT, ENSURE YOU HAVE LOOKED WELL AHEAD FIRST AND PLANNED YOUR STOPPING DISTANCE, THEN COME OFF THE REVS, LEAVE THE GEAR ITS IN, ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO SLOW RIGHT DOWN BY ITSELF (IT WILL DO SO QUICKLY DUE TO THE HIGH GEAR & ALREADY LOW REV) THEN VERY VERY GENTLY TOUCH THE FOOTBREAK AND COME OFF ON OFF ON UNTIL STOP.
STEVO
DDTI
RoSPA BTEC level3 adv dvg instr
I.A.M's
stevo8851

Postby stevo8851 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:38 pm

for the record, i am not conversant with forum chat ''technique''. with this in mind it was not my intention to ''shout'' my last entry. I put it in bold so the reader could see clearly the point i was trying to make. :roll:
STEVO
DDTI
RoSPA BTEC level3 adv dvg instr
I.A.M's
stevo8851

Postby Renny » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:14 pm

stevo8851 wrote:for the record, i am not conversant with forum chat ''technique''. with this in mind it was not my intention to ''shout'' my last entry. I put it in bold so the reader could see clearly the point i was trying to make. :roll:

You should be able to edit your post Stevo
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Shipwright » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Ice mode on my autobox, a gentle right foot and lots of forward planning.

Works for me.
Shipwright

Postby TiJay » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:37 pm

If you do skid, DO NOT try and compensate with the steering by oversteering to the opposite way, as soon as grip is returned to the tyres the steering wheel will be ripped from your grasp and you will lose the back end. You must hold the steering tight and not move it at all!!!

Is it correct to interpret that as "if the rear comes out, don't attempt to catch the slide as you may overcorrect it"? :? As my instinct would be to attempt to catch it...
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:15 am

stevo8851 wrote:....Once this gear/rev ratio has been met, you stick with it and DO NOT change... you keep a constant speed. You use hazard-perception drills to look at the road ahead and if required ease off a little to negotiate any hazards i.e roundabouts.....

Do not change? Not particularly practical out on the road. The best advice so far has come from Shipwright - "lots of forward planning". Speed will have to be altered, particularly on the approach to junctions, much more allowance needs to be made for the 'what ifs'.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Bluecray » Wed May 02, 2012 6:07 am

I laugh at the poor BMW drivers struggling in the snow rear wheel drive and a BMW in snow just doesn't work!
Bluecray

Postby Big Err » Wed May 02, 2012 6:55 am

Bluecray wrote:I laugh at the poor BMW drivers struggling in the snow rear wheel drive and a BMW in snow just doesn't work!

A couple of paving slabs in the boot and rear wheel drive will go anywhere in the snow.
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum