Driving Test In The UK From Abroad??

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby musicmad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi,

I'm an ex-pat from the Uk been living abroad some years now but I'm wanting to return to the UK to pass my driving test. Seeing as i don't live there permanently anymore does anybody know if there would be any issues in returning to the UK to pass the test?? i have relative's i can stay with which will provide me with a full UK address.

Regards
Musicworld.
musicmad

Postby ROG » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:07 am

There have been slight changes to the theory test within the last couple of years - are you aware of them ?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby GS » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:29 am

musicmad wrote:Hi,

I'm an ex-pat from the Uk been living abroad some years now but I'm wanting to return to the UK to pass my driving test. Seeing as i don't live there permanently anymore does anybody know if there would be any issues in returning to the UK to pass the test?? i have relative's i can stay with which will provide me with a full UK address.

Regards
Musicworld.

I thought that you had to be a UK resident, and have been in this country a certain amount of time before you can take the UK test, but I may be wrong. Using a relative's address is not counted as UK residency.
GS
GS

Postby MGF » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:42 am

Residency is essential and being an ex-pat means you cannot satisfy this test unless of course you choose to return to the UK indefinately.
MGF

Postby zadocbrown » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:57 pm

musicmad wrote:Hi,

Regards
Musicworld.

Why do you want to pass a uk test if you don't live here? Where are you based? Wouldn't an EU/international license be more useful?
zadocbrown

Postby musicmad » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:43 pm

So the answer to my question is that if i don't reside in the UK permanently i don't qualify to pass the driving test and gain a UK driving License??
musicmad

Postby ROG » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:47 am

musicmad wrote:So the answer to my question is that if i don't reside in the UK permanently i don't qualify to pass the driving test and gain a UK driving License??

I think that is generally the case but there are also those that are allowed to do the test if they live here for a certain percentage of the year - not sure of the exact details - perhaps a call to DVLA may clear things up - 01792 782 341.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MGF » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:49 pm

I think non-UK residents who are EU residents may extend their driver entitlement eg car to HGV having lived here for 6 months in the last 12 but if you need a car licence you need to apply in your country of residence.
MGF

Postby musicmad » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks for your response's.. would anyone know what the shortest time would be to enter and pass a driving crash course in the UK? I've been told a driving school in blackpool can provide crash courses. Does anybody know anywhere in Bristol that does the same thing??

musicmad

Postby Ynot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Taken from "Driving in Great Britain (GB) as a visitor or a new resident"

Taking a test
If you want to take a GB driving test you must normally live in GB. If you have moved to GB recently from another EC/EEA country, you must have lived in GB for 185 days in the 12 months before you can apply for a driving test and a full licence.

For the full document:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf38.pdf

Tony
Ynot

Postby musicmad » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks for your reply.. but regarding my last post concerning the crash course would anyone have any previous experience with this??
musicmad

Postby jont » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:08 pm

musicmad wrote:Thanks for your reply.. but regarding my last post concerning the crash course would anyone have any previous experience with this??

I think ADIs in general are short of work at the moment, so you may well find that if you contact some in the Bristol area they may be willing to provide a week long intensive course. However the problem may be that if you're not resident and don't have a theory test pass certificate you can't book the practical exam, so what would be the point of an intensive course?

I imagine most courses would be a week long, but no-one is going to want to guarantee whether that will be sufficient time as everyone learns at a different pace.
jont

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:06 pm

I'm always amazed how many people can ask for a crash course in driving, and keep a straight face. :lol: :shock:

Maybe that's where we're going wrong...... :idea:
zadocbrown

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun May 24, 2009 9:17 am

zadocbrown wrote:I'm always amazed how many people can ask for a crash course in driving, and keep a straight face. :lol: :shock:

Maybe that's where we're going wrong...... :idea:

Must admit I couldn't stop a cynical smile from appearing!

If you get your theory sorted then contact me I am happy to supply an intensive course in teh Bristol area.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Return to Learner Driver Forum