Correct lane at unmarked roundabout

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby weehazey » Thu May 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Wonder if someone could help me with this one. The roundabout has 3 exits - left, straight on and right. There are 2 lanes on approach to the roundabout but only one lane on each of the three exits. There are no markings on either of the two lanes on approach. Ive always been taught that if going straight on stay in the left lane as the right hand lane is for turning right. Recently a taxi driver pulled out into the right lane while i was sitting in the left lane and we were both waiting for a break in the traffic. We both pulled away onto the roundabout and both wanted to go straight on. He started shouting saying that i was in the wrong lane and should have been in the outside lane to go straight on. Who (or both) is correct?! Thanks for your help.
weehazey

Postby Angus » Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Technically, I would usually say that you are right - left hand lane for the first 2 exits and right hand for the other 2 (right and back the way you came), and on test that is what an examiner would normally expect.

However, these commonly understood "rules" do not apply to certain stereotypical groups, namely taxis, white vans etc, and I've seen this sort of "overtake" performed countless times.

I assume that you're learning to drive if you posted in this forum, so probably in your case he thought he could easily get away quicker that you and got caught out. Hopefully he'll learn and you've learnt not to assume what another driver is doing solely on their road positioning.
Angus

Postby fungus » Thu May 21, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi weehazey, and welcome to the forum,

When going ahead in the situation you describe I would use the left lane if the second exit is at 12 o clock, or to the left of 12. If the second exit is to the right of 12 o clock I would use the right hand lane. The DSA in their book, Driving the Esential Skills advises using the left lane to go ahead. However, if you decide to use the right hand lane to go ahead, you must be very aware of vehicles in the left lane and be prepared to continue around the roundabout if someone is in the left lane going ahead, especialy if you are likey to cause that driver to alter speed or position.
My guess is that the taxi driver thought that he could beat you to the exit.

A roundabout near me has three lanes ( unmarked ) on approach, and three exits There are no markings on the roundabout. Most drivers use the middle lane to go ahead, but quite a few use the left lane. All exits are single lane. One day I was in the middle lane going ahead second exit with a car behind me also doing the same. There was a car in the right hand lane going right third exit. A taxi came up in the left lane not signaling. As we emerged onto the roundabout I checked my NS door mirror, sure enough, the taxi was going second exit, and the car behind me had followed me out. I was the meat in the sandwich. I could not brake. I could not go round. The only option was to out accelerate the taxi. Fortunately my car was more powerfull than the taxi. My guess was that the taxi driver thought that the driver of my car was a learner as I had my head board on the car having just finished a lesson.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby zadocbrown » Fri May 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Ive always been taught that if going straight on stay in the left lane as the right hand lane is for turning right.

That is the accepted 'normal' route to take.

However, unless the lanes are marked, including the word 'only' (as in 'turn left only') there is no specific law against doing something different - even if there are direction arrows these are 'advisory' not compulsory. So you need to keep an eye on what other drivers are doing and be prepared to keep out of harms way.

Sometimes traffic conditions, road layout or 'local custom' may lead you, or someone else, to take the right hand lane instead. For example, if there is often lots of traffic in the left hand lane turning left, it may become customary to bypass this by using the other lane to go ahead. This could be a factor in the case you quote (it is also possible that the other driver just hasn't read his Highway code).

Another example near where I live is a roundabout similar to the one you describe, except that the exits are at 8, 10 and 12 O'clock (there is no right turn). There are no markings but many people use the right hand lane to go ahead, on the basis that otherwise it would be a wasted lane.

So, basically what you've been taught is best under most circumstances, but there are exceptions.
zadocbrown

Postby TripleS » Fri May 22, 2009 5:16 pm

fungus wrote:Hi weehazey, and welcome to the forum,

When going ahead in the situation you describe I would use the left lane if the second exit is at 12 o clock, or to the left of 12. If the second exit is to the right of 12 o clock I would use the right hand lane. The DSA in their book, Driving the Esential Skills advises using the left lane to go ahead. However, if you decide to use the right hand lane to go ahead, you must be very aware of vehicles in the left lane and be prepared to continue around the roundabout if someone is in the left lane going ahead, especialy if you are likey to cause that driver to alter speed or position.
My guess is that the taxi driver thought that he could beat you to the exit.

A roundabout near me has three lanes ( unmarked ) on approach, and three exits There are no markings on the roundabout. Most drivers use the middle lane to go ahead, but quite a few use the left lane. All exits are single lane. One day I was in the middle lane going ahead second exit with a car behind me also doing the same. There was a car in the right hand lane going right third exit. A taxi came up in the left lane not signaling. As we emerged onto the roundabout I checked my NS door mirror, sure enough, the taxi was going second exit, and the car behind me had followed me out. I was the meat in the sandwich. I could not brake. I could not go round. The only option was to out accelerate the taxi. Fortunately my car was more powerfull than the taxi. My guess was that the taxi driver thought that the driver of my car was a learner as I had my head board on the car having just finished a lesson.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer

"I could not brake." - you said.

Nigel - I'm not wishing to be unfairly critical here, but on the approach to this situation do you think there is anything you could have done to give yourself the option of making a modest speed reduction if needed?

I may be a bit adrift with this, but while you can't easily control the space behind you, if you have spare space in front it does give you more options, one feature of which is avoiding being alongside aomebody else at a roundabout. Other people have advocated this previously, and it isn't always easy to achieve, but it does help to reduce the difficulties and conflicts.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Fri May 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Dave, we were all stationary waiting for the opportunity to emerge on to the roundabout. The left and centre lanes were vacant when I approached the roundabout , and there was one vehicle waiting in the right hand lane turning right. Another car positioned behind me in the centre lane, then the taxi took up the left lane. The road approaching from the right is a fast A road, and you have to be quick at busier times of the day. In this instance the following vehicles were able to emerge behind the lead vehicles. Thats why I could not brake, as I had a vehicle close behind. I hope this clarifies the situation, a fairly common one on this roundabout.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby weehazey » Sat May 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks very much for your advice - have a better idea of what to expect and do now! Thanks again!
weehazey

Postby 7db » Sun May 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Apply Dave's roundabout maxim:- never go round with anyone else.

This is more important than the lane choice.
7db

Postby willdotcom » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I bet the taxi driver was just a pig! If you can ever avoid all heading for the same exit, just back off and allow them to get to their burning building. I always teach the left lane for heading straight over, as long as the markings on the ground/info on approach tells you different.

If you're still unsure, go to google maps, get a screen grab and post it up on here. I'm sure everyone will have their pennies to chip in.
willdotcom

Postby andypandy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 pm

I have just had a heated debate with a friend about roundabouts that ties in with this thread and others on small unmarked or mini roundabouts. I stated that if I approached a small roundabout, with a single vehicle turning circle, that had exits at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock and two lanes at entry I would automatically assume that the left hand lane was for turning left only and use the right hand lane for going striaght ahead. This would seem perfectly logical to me as the alternative - ie to have two cars going striaght on - one to turn right, one to go straight ahead would be the option that would lead to possible accidents, conflict and confusion - as the car turning right always has nowhere to go. We discussed several rounadbouts where this scenario happens on a regular basis - due entirely to this convention being followed - and I suspect where, if it happens enough, the lane is eventually marked left turn only.

I understand the rule - ie "keep to the left in normal....." , but not necessarily some of the replies about local custom - isn't the rule just sometimes wrong and natural or common sense the prevailing order? The exception that proves the rule as it were.

In addition I was always taught that these very small roundabouts should be considered as alternatives to crossroads or junctions (which they often replace) and therefore indicating (not signalling) on entry or exit was not required when going straight on - and by not indicating signalling that intention. My friend was adamant on both points - ie always stay left - no matter what (or usually I think he would say) and that you should always indicate on exiting - even when going straight on.
On my way home from him I travelled over several newer roundabouts, large and small where this type of thinking (not always staying left to go straight on) had been implemeted by using hatching and road markings - but we were talking about the assumption where this did not exist. Any thoughts? There seems to be a negative attitude to taxis and white van men - I am neither, nor am I advanced trained - but myself and friend both drive extensively.
andypandy

Postby martine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:18 pm

If there are no road markings on the approach then I would usually take the left lane to go left or straight on 12 o'clock. I think it's unusual for there not to be any road markings if there are 2 lanes on the approach.

I always suggest indicating left before you pull off a roundabout (mini or midi or regular)...except that with many 'minis' you literally haven't got time to make it meaningful as you're already 'off' or it's obvious to all concerned you're heading that way. Highway code says you should indicate if it would benefit another road user.

Oh and welcome 'andypandy'!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby JonP » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am

I would agree with previous posters that the left hand lane is the correct one, but that you would have to be aware of those around you.

I have a roundabout near me which has 4 exists (plus where you've come from), at 4 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 12 o'clock, and 3 o'clock with the exit you are emerging from at 6 o'clock. There are no markings on the road, and a lot of people indicate right, and position in the right hand lane for the 12 o'clock exit which I believe to be "straight on" therefore in the left hand lane.
Jon Price
MInstLM
IAM Observer
JonP

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I'll point out, as I always do when this discussion surfaces, that there is no "correct" lane for going straight ahead at a roundabout. HC rule 186 says:
Highway code rule 186 wrote:When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

•select the appropriate (my bold) lane on approach to the roundabout
•you should not normally need to signal on approach
•stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
•signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Nowhere does it say "The appropriate lane when leaving the roundabout at an exit before / after 12 o'clock is the left / right lane". You are meant to exercise your own judgement. The "safer" choice is the left hand lane, but there is no "right" or "wrong". Any such "rules of thumb" are just that, local custom, rules of thumb, folklore, call them what you will.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby MOOEY » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi All,

Some god advice here but the best is not to presume.

You're probaly not the only person who has experienced this problem at this junction. I would do 2 things write to the local council explaining the problem and suggest that the right hand lane be right turn only. If you also contact your local driving instructor association they normally have a contact at the council and if they agree with you they may be able to put some pressure on them to change it. Councils have a care of duty to deal with such things even if they sometimes ignore it.

It's worth ago and may stop you having the same problem inthe future. You never know you may even stop an accident.

Safe Driving!!!

Mooey
MOOEY

Return to Learner Driver Forum