Hazard Perception DVD Which One ??

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby musicmad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi,

Concerning the UK driving license I'm currently in the process of studying to pass my test. I've already purchased the (AA theory test book which covers all the 1,265 official questions & answers for car drivers & motorcyclists) also the (official DSA guide to driving the essential skills.) In addition its also been suggested to me to purchase the hazard awareness/perception DVD as this is an essential 2nd part of the theory test. Unfortunately there are a number of hazard perception DVDs online and as a result I’m unsure which one is the right one for me. Could anybody please suggest which DVD is the correct one to go for ?

Cheers
Musicmad.
musicmad

Postby Gareth » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:33 pm

The reviews I've read about the official DSA hazard perception (DVD) guide is that it's little more a guide with only 10 video clips included. Moreover a number of online comments suggest it's badly presented and mainly serves to confuse. If you're looking for practice then another product is probably a better idea.

There are a range of products available from the learnerstuff website - not a recommendation; I know nothing about the website or the products other that what's presented. However the one that has 400 video clips seems like it could be reasonable.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby martine » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi musicmad,

I can recommend this website:

http://www.drivingtheory4all.co.uk

It has Hazard Perception Test clips and a bank of theory questions for you to practise with...when you sign up (and pay the money!) you can run mock tests which are extremely similar to the real theory test in the way they are presented. My daughter used it last week to gain 100% in the multiple choice and 65 points (out of max 75) in the HPT.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Porker » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:08 pm

http://www.2passforum.co.uk may also be a good place to ask about what others have found useful.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby fungus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Focus Multimedia produce a CD rom with theory and hazard perception. They are resonably priced, but the video quality is not as good as the DSAs.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee
fungus

Postby Ynot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:17 pm

The one I recommed to my pupils is the Focus one mentioned by Nigel - "Driving Test Success - All Tests". There is also DTS - Theory which has just the theory and hazard perception tests, but the All Tests shows a simulated driving test, has the show me tell me questions and a few other bits n bobs. Morrisons were (not sure if they still are) doing it for only £5.99 - well worth the money: I was recommending it even at £10 or so.

Tony
Ynot

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:29 am

For the Haz perception Test, there's a few things worth knowing:

- You should only click to be marked when the hazard 'develops' ie that you need to brake, signal, change speed etc.
- However, if you spot a hazard very early, you may click then
- If you click too often then the software will 'fail' you on that clip

- Each clip has just one 'marked' hazard
- Except one clip per test which has two hazards to click for

So, if you see what you think is a hazard which is likely to develop, click, then when that happens, click again ASAP. However, don't click at anything and everything (eg "Well a junction's a hazard, so I clicked" - the junction can't develop - but a pedestrian on the pavement is potentially developing hazard).

HTH
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby musicmad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi

Thanks so much for all your replies, given your suggestions I'm now thinking of purchasing the "Driving Test Success package" the one that comes with 3 discs, It seems a good choice.

Thanks
Musicmad.
musicmad

Postby willdotcom » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Amazon has load of DVDs for sale. Seems a little random, but my local Blockbuster had about 20 copies of some hazard perception DVD/CD ROM for 10p each. Might be worth checking their bargain bucket? There are a few links on this site to free online hazard perception clips too.

http://www.a-class-driving.com/links.php
willdotcom

Return to Learner Driver Forum