Help With Theory Question ?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby musicmad » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi to all drivers,

Concerning the UK driving test I'm now in the process of studying to pass my theory and have recently approached a question in the AA Theory test book which I'm convinced is wrong? If anyone has this book titled AA Theory Test Book the official questions & answers for car drivers and motorcyclists, could you please confirm this correct?

Section 13 - Accidents - Question: 1199

When approaching a tunnel it is good advice to..

Mark one answer:

A. Put on your sunglasses and use the sun visor

B. Check your tyre pressures

C. Change down to a lower gear

D. Make sure your radio is tuned to the frequency shown

The official correct answer is D. Is this right?
musicmad

Postby Gareth » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:34 pm

I found a short discussion about this question - perplexes many - and according to an article in the Telegraph newspaper there is a reason for the preferred answer.
Last edited by Gareth on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Angus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:35 pm

I don't have the book, but I would agree that out of those 4, "D" is the most appropriate.

However, I can't recall any tunnels recently that advise re-tuning your radio, and some have repeaters so that you can continue to listen to your preferred station.

I would have expected an option to put on lights
Angus

Postby ROG » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Angus wrote:I would have expected an option to put on lights

Me too
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:52 pm

One problem that I have encountered with the questions about tunnels, is that in one question, there are two options that would be correct, but only one answer is required. These may not be the exact answers, but IIRC the question is worded something like this.

Answer one question

When approaching a tunnel you should.

a, Remove your sunglasses

b, change to a lower gear

c, close your sunroof

d, switch on your hazard warning lights

There are two perfectly correct answers to this question that most learners will come up with, namely a, and c.
The answer to the question is (c). The reason being as I'm sure most of you know is to stop the ingress of toxic fumes into the car. But (a) is also correct.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby crr003 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 am

fungus wrote:There are two perfectly correct answers to this question that most learners will come up with, namely a, and c.
The answer to the question is (c). The reason being as I'm sure most of you know is to stop the ingress of toxic fumes into the car. But (a) is also correct.

Well I'm stuffed then.
No roof and no air recirculate button.

Maybe it's only the Mersey Tunnels, but they have ventillation systems that maintain the tunnel air quality actually better than the air outside the tunnel! (Or so they say).
crr003

Postby musicmad » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:25 am

Gareth wrote:I found a short discussion about this question - perplexes many - and according to an article in the Telegraph newspaper there is a reason for the preferred answer.

Thanks for the links Gareth you've enlightened me.. So the DSA incorporated this perplexed question after the St Gothard and Mont Blanc tunnel deaths in the 90s in which drivers lost their lives.. well that’s quite understandable then.. still what a hard question to get right, thanks mate.

Also thanks to everyone else for your responses.

Cheers
Musicmad.
musicmad

Postby brianhaddon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:18 pm

musicmad wrote:Hi to all drivers,

Concerning the UK driving test I'm now in the process of studying to pass my theory and have recently approached a question in the AA Theory test book which I'm convinced is wrong? If anyone has this book titled AA Theory Test Book the official questions & answers for car drivers and motorcyclists, could you please confirm this correct?

Section 13 - Accidents - Question: 1199

When approaching a tunnel it is good advice to..

Mark one answer:

A. Put on your sunglasses and use the sun visor

B. Check your tyre pressures

C. Change down to a lower gear

D. Make sure your radio is tuned to the frequency shown

The official correct answer is D. Is this right?

That's no good to me - I never put the radio on!
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby jont » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:56 pm

crr003 wrote:
fungus wrote:There are two perfectly correct answers to this question that most learners will come up with, namely a, and c.

Well I'm stuffed then.
No roof and no air recirculate button.

Same problem here - and I've never got the radio face plate in the car as you can't hear it once you're moving anyway (really ought to get rid of it - all important weight saving :lol: )
jont

Postby willdotcom » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 pm

It seems like a poory worded question to me. There are some in the offical DSA theory test book too.

I'm going to plug for 'd'. I'd asume, out of those options 'd' would be the most obvious as tunnels can cause you to loose radio reception, creating static, perhaps distracting the driver ... Who knows?

www.a-class-driving.com
willdotcom

Postby 7db » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:25 pm

No radio, no roof, no sunglasses.

Everyone knows that the right answer in a tunnel is to drop a couple of gears and see how loud you can make it. :)
7db

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:19 pm

7db wrote:No radio, no roof, no sunglasses.

Everyone knows that the right answer in a tunnel is to drop a couple of gears and see how loud you can make it. :)

Tut tut, these Caterham drivers. :roll:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Return to Learner Driver Forum