Sat in the back of an L-test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby martine » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Couldn't resist bragging here that today my daughter passed her L-test, first time with 3 minors. I was her sole instructor and I'm proud of her achievement.

With her agreement, I sat in the back during the test and it was nerve-racking...I think I was more nervous than she was with me 'willing' all the traffic around her to cooperate and me trying to use vulcan mind-transfer to get her to remember mirror checks, indicators, shoulder checks etc.

The examiner was very friendly and efficient - chatting afterwards he said they do 7 tests each day with only 10 mins between and 30 mins for lunch.

I spotted what I thought would be 2 more minors but I'm no examiner. Last part of her drive was a nasty junction that was just mayhem as we approached it due to a hold-up further down the road. She delt with it like someone who'd be driving for years and after that I thought she was in with a good chance of passing.

Phew!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Porker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Nice work Martin. You obviously prepared her well for the test.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby fungus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Congratulations to your daughter on passing her test, and to you for teaching her. 3 minors is good in anyones books.

Many pupils feel that having their instructor in the back would put them off, where as some have said that seeing their instructor when they check the interior mirror makes them think he/she would be saying, What, Where, Why, When, etc. etc. and have found it a help.

As from October this year instructors will have to be present at the de brief, something I always do, and from October 2010 candidates presenting themselves for a test will have their instructor sitting in on the test. This will help instructors as they will have first hand knowledge of any points raised by the examiner and not have to rely on an explanation given by the candidate, as they often can't remember the situation themselves.

If the examiner is being check tested, they will have three passengers on board, a situation that most will not have experienced before.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby ROG » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:31 am

Congrats to you both - you for teaching and your daughter for passing.

On the subject of you for teaching - are you an ADI?
If not, did you just use your AD observer experience to teach but keep it basic?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:11 pm

ROG wrote:Congrats to you both - you for teaching and your daughter for passing.

On the subject of you for teaching - are you an ADI?
If not, did you just use your AD observer experience to teach but keep it basic?

Not an ADI yet...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Porker wrote:Nice work Martin. You obviously prepared her well for the test.

regards
P.

Ditto. The next phase will no doubt be instruction in eco-driving. ;)

....and if Martin can't handle that, he could always send the lass up here. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:17 pm

TripleS wrote:The next phase will no doubt be instruction in eco-driving. ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

You've got to be joking...send my 19 year old daughter up north to see 'uncle Triples'...don't think so. :wink:
martine

Postby Custom24 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:55 pm

martine wrote:Not an ADI yet...

Are you thinking of going down that road?
Custom24

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:29 am

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:The next phase will no doubt be instruction in eco-driving. ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

You've got to be joking...send my 19 year old daughter up north to see 'uncle TripleS'...don't think so. :wink:

Sounds good to me. I was only trying to help - as usual. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Renny » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:04 am

Well done to both of you.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:14 pm

Congratulations to you both Martin! :)

What a fantastic achievement to teach your own daughter. My daughter is 18 and having lessons at the moment. On occasions i go with her on her lessons and sit in the back. The instructor obviously doesnt let me interfere, i am purely there to watch listen and actually enjoy!!! I find it absolutely amazing that she asks the same questions and behaves in exactly the same way i used to :lol: :lol: I have been told i can go on her test with her if she wants me to, sooo maybe!!!! :)
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:06 am

Well done both! I started teaching my elder son at one time, but it was a scary business, and I'm not sure I felt qualified to take him all the way to test standard without any checks from a qualified ADI. As it happens, neither of my lads has yet passed a test, but that's more to do with circumstances than ability.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Return to Learner Driver Forum