Applying For The Practical Test ??

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby martine » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:54 pm

...and you have to have a second rear view mirror (for the examiner to use).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:16 am

musicmad wrote:i don't have a car, so would DSA provide me with one on the day for the practical test ?

The DSA do not have any vehicles of their own for doing the test in.
You must supply the vehicle.
That vehicle must comply to what has been mentioned in previous posts.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MGF » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:39 pm

musicmad wrote:Well flat out!! i don't have a car, so would DSA provide me with one on the day for the practical test ?

They'll pay for your lessons too if you ask them nicely :wink:
MGF

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Maybe ive read this wrong, but if you dont have a car how has your wife been teaching you :?: :?:

I am a novice as i only passed my test last sept but i think i am right in saying some instructors will let you 'hire' their car for the test, probably cost you more than the normal 2 hours you would book it for, if you had been having lessons with that instructor. In my opinion a test is gonna cost you at least £100, so that money would be much better spent on having a few lessons with an instructor who will be able to point out any areas you need working on and advise you if you are infact ready for a test and what the examiner will be looking for :)
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:18 pm

Second what Sonia has said. Presumably you have been using your wife's car for your lessons so far? And if you've been using it, you're insured on it, and it has L plates on it, right? Will she not let you use it for the test too?

Otherwise, your best bet is to go to an ADI for a check lesson or two and hope that they will then let you use their car for the test. I don't know what the rules are about what they are or aren't allowed to charge for, but I imagine they might possibly want a fee for the use of the car, if you haven't had more than a couple of lessons with them.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:49 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I don't know what the rules are about what they are or aren't allowed to charge for, but I imagine they might possibly want a fee for the use of the car, if you haven't had more than a couple of lessons with them.

Instructors will charge as per a normal lesson of use of their car for a test. Most will book a 2 hour slot for a test - that gives the pupil a chance to drive to the test centre (to warm up) and then take the test with or without the instructor in the back.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Mr Cholmondeley -Warner wrote
"Otherwise, your best bet is to go to an ADI for a check lesson or two and hope that they will then let you use their car for the test. I don't know what the rules are about what they are or aren't allowed to charge for, but I imagine they might possibly want a fee for the use of the car, if you haven't had more than a couple of lessons with them."

The usual practice would be to charge for the time that the car is used for. For example, Test centre A is 15 minutes from the pupils home. The instructor would probably arive at the pupils house about 1 hour before the test, arive at test centre 5-10 minutes before test, giving the pupil about 50 minutes practice. Time taken on test, approximately 40 minutes. De brief, and form filling if candidate has passed the test, up to 5 minutes. Drive home,15 minutes. Time charged for, 2 hours.
Test centre B is 45 mins from the pupils home. If the pupil wants time to practice maneouvres the instructor will have to arive at the pupils home at least 1.5 hours before the test. Add on time for test and de brief, plus time to get back home, and you have a charge for 3 hours.

A word of warning. There is always the possibility that your examiner is being check tested that day. There will then be another examiner,( a supervising examiner ), sitting in the back seat behind the candidate. This examiner plays no part in YOUR test, other than to test your examiner. But be aware of the effect of the extra weight in the car.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Doh! obvious, and now you both say it, yes of course I knew that. :oops:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum