Applying For The Practical Test ??

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby musicmad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi

With regard to the practical test would anyone know if it’s essential to have had official driving lessons from an (approved driving instructor) before one can actually apply for their practical test ? example, if for the past 6 months i had been taking driving lessons only from my wife and after such time now felt I was ready to take on the practical test, would a driving school except this or would they of expected you to of taken your driving lessons from them ?

I’d also appreciate anyone’s advice on failing a test, example, if one fails their Theory or Practical test what is the soonest time possible they can re-sit it ?
musicmad

Postby ROG » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Using an ADI is not a legal requirement but it may be worth at least one assessment from an ADI to confirm that you are at DSA test standard before booking your own DSA driving test
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:59 pm

There is a 10 working day wait if you fail the practicle test and 3 days for the theory i think
http://www.theory-tests.co.uk/
daz6215

Postby ROG » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:41 am

3 day wait minimum between practical tests to allow DSA HQ to book with examiners at the tesing stations.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:35 pm

ROG wrote:3 day wait minimum between practical tests to allow DSA HQ to book with examiners at the tesing stations.

Thats LGV Rog mind it's 10 days for cars.
http://www.mlg4b-plus-e.co.uk/images/DL ... y-2004.pdf
daz6215

Postby martine » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:43 pm

musicmad wrote:...if for the past 6 months i had been taking driving lessons only from my wife and after such time now felt I was ready to take on the practical test, would a driving school except this or would they of expected you to of taken your driving lessons from them ?

I would really recommend you have a few check lessons with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) as the L-test is quite demanding and has a pass rate of less than 50%.

Not sure I understand your reference to a 'driving school' - these are commercial companies who provide driving lessons. It's not compulsory to have 'proper' lessons with an ADI but most people would strongly recommend it unless your wife has experience of teaching people to drive and knows what the examiner is expecting.

The L-test is booked and taken with the Driving Standard Agency (part of the government) which is nothing to do with driving schools as such.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby musicmad » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:30 pm

The L-test is booked and taken with the Driving Standard Agency (part of the government) which is nothing to do with driving schools as such.

Do you mean the theory test can be taken at any driving school using their touch screen monitor to pass the theory test ? But with regard to the practical or (L-Test) as you say, this has to be officially taken with the DSA ? Sorry I'm not to familiar with all this! what and who exactly does one go to in order to pass their driving test ? Whats the process ?
musicmad

Postby martine » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:51 pm

musicmad wrote:

Do you mean the theory test can be taken at any driving school using their touch screen monitor to pass the theory test ? But with regard to the practical or (L-Test) as you say, this has to be officially taken with the DSA ? Sorry I'm not to familiar with all this! what and who exactly does one go to in order to pass their driving test ? Whats the process ?

No - your theory test is not taken at a driving school but a 'theory test centre' - all they do is theory tests for car/bikes/instructors etc.

Once you've passed your theory test you are eligeable to take the practical driving test otherwise known as the L-test. This is done at a...wait for it...'practical test centre' and is run by the DSA. You may or may not decide to get some professional driving instruction before the L-test - a collection of driving instructors is called a 'driving school' but many instructors work alone and are self-employed. It's not compulsory to have professional instruction but many would suggest it's a good idea.

See this DSA leaflet for more info...

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/publications/DVLA%20Stuffer%20-%20English%20-%202007.pdf
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:56 pm

musicmad wrote:

Theory has to be booked with DSA but is taken at special centres run by a sub-contractor. You have to pass this before you can book the

Practical, which again you book with DSA online or by phone (or post if you want to be awkward!). You can opt to take this at any DSA test centre which caters for the particular test you are taking.

Just go to www.dsa.gov.uk and you'll find all the info you need.
zadocbrown

Postby musicmad » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi all,

Sorry! to of confused everyone but being a novice one has to learn, however from what I've gathered so far is it like this ? The only place to officially sit and pass a theory & practical test is with the DSA at one of their test centers. Whereas a driving school can only provide you with driving lessons, meaning they have no part in the theory & practical tests

Again thanks for all your help, appreciated!

Musicmad.
musicmad

Postby martine » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:55 pm

You got it.

Good Luck.
martine

Postby musicmad » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:54 pm

One last question, when taking your practical test is it necessary to provide your own vehicle ? or does the DSA test center provide this ?
Last edited by musicmad on Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicmad

Postby jont » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:06 pm

musicmad wrote:One last question, when taking your practical test is it necessary to provide your own vehicle ?

You have to turn up in a vehicle suitable to take the test. Often this is an instructors vehicle, but it can be your own. It must have L-plates, and if necessary an MoT and you must have insurance to prove you're insured on it. There are also some rules about things like headrests which may affect you if you have an older car - check the DSA website.
jont

Postby fungus » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Also bear in mind that certain cars will not be accepted for a practicle test. eg vehicles with electronic handbrakes (Renault Scenic) or, I think I have this correct, the new VW Passat with the system that stops the car from rolling back when doing a hill start. Mini convertables are not allowed, and I would imagine that other convertables would not be either.

Make sure that the interior of the car is clean. An examiner at the Oxford Driving Test Centre cancelled a test because the candidates was car was deemed to be too dirty. There were croissant crumbs on the front seat and dog biscuits under it. The examiner said that he came to work in a suit and expected to sit on a tidy seat. No refund was offered.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby musicmad » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:54 pm

Well flat out!! i don't have a car, so would DSA provide me with one on the day for the practical test ?
musicmad

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum