Give Way Markings on Major Roads and Roundabouts

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Big Err » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 pm

The Thinker wrote:
I'll be bumping my gums about this at the Forth Valley advanced Motorists tonight!

I was there. It was an excellent talk.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby dth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:31 pm

TripleS wrote:On that basis it is only a matter of time before somebody will think it necessary to introduce a triple version for when things are a bit more difficult still; and then a while later, when a situation is really really really hazardous we'll have a quadruple version.

They already do this to some extent. Many motorists fail to recognise the significance of red tarmac, lots of white lineage and road signs backed by yellow backgrounds.

These all indicate that that bit of road is hazardous and been the scene of serious if not fatal, crashes.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby dth » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:44 pm

fungus wrote:Hatched areas are certainly over used, and quite often awkwardly shaped, not allowing a driver to enter a right turn lane with room to position the car correctly as they take up a lot of road before the lane breaks off.

But you are allowed to enter or even wait on the hatched area if necessary.

As for the argument that they protect traffic turning right, thats nonsense. If a following driver can't see a vehicle turning right, a hatch marking is going to make no difference

But surely you can apply that to any road marking or sign. I don't need a sign to tell me there's a bend ahead but I wouldn't necessarily not want it there.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 pm

sulligogs wrote:Hi,

I've recently passed my driving test, but every now and then I get curious about certain aspects of the Highway Code and road markings.

For instance, why are there double broken lines on entrances to major roads, but only single broken lines on entrances to roundabouts? Wouldn't it make the driver's life easier to have 'give way' markings the same on all roads?

Additionally, when exiting a major road into a minor road there is a single broken line, but when exiting a roundabout there is no line at all. Doesn't this defy logic?

By the way, good luck to everyone taking the tests soon.

Sulligogs

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that has noticed this! :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum