Increase in the age for learning to drive

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Angus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:14 pm

It was mooted a year or two back that the age for learning to drive was to go up to 18.

Is this definate, and if so, when is it coming in?
Angus

Postby martine » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:50 pm

It was one of a series of proposals for discussion by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA - the people who set standards for instructors and testing of drivers). It's got no further than a discussion point as yet - so no plans to introduce it...as yet.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MGF » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:53 am

The suggestion was to raise the age at which a learner can take a test to 18 but to continue to allow 17 year olds to hold a provisional licence.
MGF

Postby ROG » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:00 am

As the age for getting a LGV licence has just dropped to 18, I suspect that any age increase for the car licence will look a bit silly !!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:33 am

ROG wrote:As the age for getting a LGV licence has just dropped to 18, I suspect that any age increase for the car licence will look a bit silly !!

Yes, it certainly would. I didn't know the age for getting a LGV ( and I still think it should be HGV) licence had changed; I thought it was 21, but it doesn't seem unreasonable. My feeling is that the sort of wild behaviour displayed by some youngsters in cars is not likely to be replicated if they're driving a 44 tonne machine.

Are there any signs that young drivers in HGVs are figuring excessively in the accident statistics since the change in the age limit?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Renny » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 am

TripleS wrote:
Are there any signs that young drivers in HGVs are figuring excessively in the accident statistics since the change in the age limit?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Dave,

the change has only just happened within the last few months. Given the current economic climate, I'd think there are very few <21yo LGV drivers qualifying just now.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Angus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks everyone

ROG wrote:As the age for getting a LGV licence has just dropped to 18, I suspect that any age increase for the car licence will look a bit silly !!

This is excellent news - she'll be able to drive the horsebox :lol:
Angus

Postby ROG » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Angus wrote:Thanks everyone

This is excellent news - she'll be able to drive the horsebox :lol:

If you want the rules on doing that if the horsebox is over 7.5 tonnes then PM me
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Angus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:41 pm

ROG wrote: If you want the rules on doing that if the horsebox is over 7.5 tonnes then PM me

It's ok, it's under 7.5 tonnes.
Angus

Postby Sirens Instructor » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:12 pm

I still think our way of teaching young people from as early as 14 years old is the way forward. They teach cycle proficiency as early as they can, so why not driving, which is far more dangerous. http://www.sirensdrivingacademy.co.uk
Sirens Instructor

Postby martine » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Sirens Instructor wrote:I still think our way of teaching young people from as early as 14 years old is the way forward. They teach cycle proficiency as early as they can, so why not driving, which is far more dangerous. http://www.sirensdrivingacademy.co.uk

Can I ask you enter into the discussion and no more plugs please - can you expand a bit on that? 14 year olds on the road or off-road preparation like the under 17 car club?

PS. If you're going to advertise your company I suggest you might like to proof read it a bit more...numerous references to 'advance driving'.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:38 pm

That site does have a direct link to this one
http://www.drivingschoolswatford.com/pa ... ce_driving
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ROG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Sirens Instructor wrote:I still think our way of teaching young people from as early as 14 years old is the way forward.

The DSA & I agree with you
When the DSA had their consltation in Leicester I showed Rosemary Thew the book Mind Driving and she was impressed in it's subject matter.
We discussed early education and it has since emerged that the DSA are talking to the Education Dept about introducing early driver theory and education when the school leaving age goes up to 17 in a few years time.
The idea being to start at age 15 and being spread over 2 years. Peer pressure discussion groups are being proposed as well as HC theory and 'thinking' skills.

IMO it looks like they are basing much of this on Mind Driving !!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:20 pm

ROG wrote:....the DSA are talking to the Education Dept about introducing early driver theory and education when the school leaving age goes up to 17 in a few years time.

Very good, but is it too much to hope that by the time we reach that point the Education Department will first have managed to ensure that the pupils/students have reasonable ability in reading, writing and mathematics?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Triples wrote,

[quote]Very good, but is it too much to hope that by the time we reach that point the Education Department will first have managed to ensure that the pupils/students have reasonable ability in reading, writing and mathematics?

Best wishes all,
Dave.[/quote]

That's a good point. My wife has a part time job in a local fish & chip shop. One day last week she came home, not in total disbelief, but one of the seventeen year olds was giving change of a twenty pound note. The bill came to fourteen pounds thirty pence. The girl was giving the customer fourteen pounds thirty pence change, not five pounds seventy pence. Worrying eh!

Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum