Driving Schools In Manchester

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby musicmad » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi

Could anyone recommend a good driving school in Manchester ?
musicmad

Postby musicmad » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Ok! i guess thats a no then, thanks anyway.
musicmad

Postby crr003 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Don't know if this is accurate - Andrew Walsh - Car Limits is on the list!

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/learner-driving-lessons/manchester/
crr003

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:09 pm

crr003 wrote:Don't know if this is accurate - Andrew Walsh - Car Limits is on the list!

Probably not, given the vast range of std codes displayed. However there are 6 or 7 phone numbers starting with 0161 so I suggest the OP start be calling some of these.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Its done on postcode. If the company shows in the list, that's because the company told us they have instructors that cover the postcode.
Darren

Postby musicmad » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 am

I'm thinking of going with BSM for my driving lessons, anyone had experiance with them ?
musicmad

Postby Gareth » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 pm

musicmad wrote:anyone had experiance with them ?

As far as I know it's a franchise so peoples' experiences will depend on which ADI taught them ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby fungus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Gareth wrote,

[quote]
As far as I know it's a franchise so peoples' experiences will depend on which ADI taught them ...[/quote]

Thats correct, The AA, BSM, RED and in many large schools, the instructors are franchised. IIRC the AA only use qualified instructors. BSM & RED also use trainee instructors. Qualified instructors, (ADIs), display a green octagonal badge, whislt trainee instructors, (PDIs), display a pink traingular badge. Sole opperators have to be ADIs by law.

Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby musicmad » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi

Sorry to confuse everyone! recently I passed my theory test and I’m now looking to pass my practical test as soon as possible due to a job position. I've previously had months of private tuition via a friend but never with an ADI, I will also be needing a car on the day of the test. I've been told I can attend a crash/intensive driving course over a weekend, anything up to 2 / 3 days, practical test included plus accommodation, packages ranging from 285 to 350. I’m researching online but was wondering if anyone here had done this before and could recommend a school ? manchester based.
Last edited by musicmad on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicmad

Postby fungus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi musicmad,

You mention doing a crash course. Whilst I appreciate that you wish to get your licence as quickly as possible, bear in mind that they can be very demanding. Most learners find that concentration drops off after about 50-60 mins. Errors creep in, and it's easy to become demoralised. Some people cope ok, whilst others find it too much.

BSM have the military contract near where I live, and there are always three in the car. I imagine that they each drive for about 30-40 mins, then change over. In that way it would become managable, and you would learn from the others.

My neighbours son learnt when he was in the SAS. It was a five day course. Start on Monday, test on Friday afternoon. I don't know how the lessons were structured, but he found it very demanding, and given the nature of his job, he was used to high levels of concentration.

All the best with your course, whatever you choose.

Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:38 am

fungus wrote:Gareth wrote,

As far as I know it's a franchise so peoples' experiences will depend on which ADI taught them ...

Thats correct, The AA, BSM, RED and in many large schools, the instructors are franchised. IIRC the AA only use qualified instructors. BSM & RED also use trainee instructors. Qualified instructors, (ADIs), display a green octagonal badge, whislt trainee instructors, (PDIs), display a pink traingular badge. Sole opperators have to be ADIs by law.

Nigel ADI
IAM observer

Once instructors have qualified, they are graded 4, 5 or 6, based on how good their instructing was during a 'check test' by the DSA. You might consider asking a potential instructor such questions as, how long have you been doing this, what is your DSA grad, what is the pass rate of your pupils, etc.

Before booking an intensive course, I would suggest at least one previous lesson booked without commitment for you to find out whether you get on with the instructor and for the instructor to assess how much more you need before test. You may find that having been taught by a friend there are some things you will have to learn to do differently, which can take quite some time.
waremark

Postby ROG » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:59 am

waremark wrote:what is the pass rate of your pupils,

Make that - what is the FIRST TIME pass rate of your pupils
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm

ROG wrote:
waremark wrote:what is the pass rate of your pupils,

Make that - what is the FIRST TIME pass rate of your pupils

Just to play devils advocate, Some instructors will have very good pass rates and also very good first time pass rates,

Does this make them better instructors? the simple answer is not necessarily so, why? Because some people will go out of their way to teach natural driver and discard people who dont take to driving like a duck to water, they wont entertain people with learning difficulties who may need an EXCELLENT and patient instructor to get them through , but hey if I can get a natural driver through first time I must be good eh?
daz6215

Postby ROG » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:52 pm

I had realised that the 'pass rate' issue was dependant on many things - probably why ADIs at the DSA consulations were rightly reluctant to have that figure as a measure of their competance as proposed by the DSA
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby musicmad » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks! i appreciate your answers, but with regard to crash courses could anyone recommend :?:
musicmad

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum