When To Book The Practical Test ??

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby musicmad » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi

After recently passing my theory test I thought I would immediately book my practical test seeing as though the waiting list for a car is 4/6 weeks, however before booking the practical test I didn't know that crash course driving schools did this for you, meaning they book the practical for you to sit the test at the end of the course, silly me :? So what happens now if I approach a driving school and book a one week crash course knowing I’ve already book my practical test, would I have to cancel it ? or would I just leave it to the driving school to take care of it :?:
musicmad

Postby GS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:30 am

musicmad wrote:Hi

After recently passing my theory tes.......................

This is a problem that ADIs discus on a regular basis.

If you, as the pupil, think you will be good enough to take your test in 4/6 weeks why do you need an ADI? Surely it is the ADI's experience and skill which you are paying for which determines when you will be ready, not your best guess. Driving schools which do 'crash courses' block book tests and usually if the pupil is not ready they are not presented for the test at the end of the course. There is no guarantee that you will be at the correct standard just because you have paid for an intensive course. Unfortunately, in my view, some schools take the view that because a client has paid for the course they will give them a go at the test despite the instructor not thinking they are ready (or safe!). The thinking being that if you have paid for the course which includes a test you are entitled to the test. I have to say that if you came to me to teach you and you told me that you have already booked a test without me even having seen you drive, I would suggest we have an assessment lesson and then, based on that lesson, I would advise you cancel the test if I thought the test date was too close. If you refused to do this I would suggest you found another instructor and you certainly would not be using my car for the test.

I would suggest that you do not book your test at this early stage, wait to hear what your instructor, the professional your are paying good money to, has to say.
Last edited by GS on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GS
GS

Postby ROG » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:45 am

Is it still the same 3 clear working days prior to test date that the test can be cancelled with full money back :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fastwayintensive » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:49 pm

It was last time I checked (about 6 months back)
Northumberland based driving school:

http://www.fastwayintensivecourses.co.uk

20% off stated prices if booked before Christmas!
fastwayintensive

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:05 am

If you have already booked a test it shouldn't pose a problem, it can be moved. Why go for an intensive course? You now have a wait of whatever number of weeks until the test you have booked so why not have some lessons with a local instructor? Why wait until the intensive course?

Talk to some local instructors, they may be able to fit in the necessary number of hours between now and your test. That way you (and your instructor) will be better able to assess whether you will be ready for test. If you aren't you will be in a better position to make the decision to move the test (3 days notice) without losing the fee.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby passtest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Practical test appointments can be booked online, by phone and by post and subject to you giving us three clear working days notice, can be changed and cancelled online or using our telephone service.

To book a test online you will need:
a valid UK driving licence
a theory test certificate number
a valid debit or credit card for payment (Visa, Mastercard, Delta, Visa Electron, Switch/Maestro and Solo cards are accepted

If you require any special needs facilities at your practical test you will need to request these at the time of booking.
passtest

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 pm

It never ceases to amaze me that people can ask for a 'crash' course in driving, completely oblivious to the irony of such a request.... :o

Why do you need a 'crash' course? Start now and have regular lessons if you can.

Obviously if you've already booked a test you need to point it out when you book the course. You shouldn't be double charged.

The main problem with booking the test yourself is that you might find the instructor is not available when you want him/her. But you can reschedule a test upto 3 working days before the test date.

If you do take, for example, a week's intensive course what should happen is that you get a couple of days tuition, then decide whether to go ahead with the test or reschedule it. The problem is that if you decide at the last minute you are not going to be ready you might have to wait another 6 weeks before you get another go.

It's really better to start lessons sooner rather than later, then if after a few weeks it's not going as well as you'd hoped you have more flexibility to give yourself more time/practice/lessons. Going for a day a week or a couple of evenings a week is the most efficient way to learn. Most people don't appreciate how hard it is to drive all week under pressure.
zadocbrown

Postby passtest » Thu May 06, 2010 11:05 am

Driving practical test can be booked after passing the theory test. To preparing your practical test just search on the internet. many website provide the practical test clips. You can choose the best one. :lol:
passtest

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu May 06, 2010 8:25 pm

passtest wrote:Driving practical test can be booked after passing the theory test. To preparing your practical test just search on the internet. many website provide the practical test clips. You can choose the best one. :lol:

What practical test clips? For the practical test you need to get in a car and drive! Preferably with a qualified trainer.

By qualified, I don't necessarily mean an ADI!

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby waremark » Fri May 14, 2010 1:34 pm

adiNigel wrote:What practical test clips? For the practical test you need to get in a car and drive! Preferably with a qualified trainer.

By qualified, I don't necessarily mean an ADI!

Nigel

I found the ? official video/clips helpful preparation for teaching my daughter (my third and last child, all passed first time, none of them have crashed yet).
waremark

Postby Hakan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:22 am

I would recommend the first to pass theoretical test and just then to book time for practical test. Besides, do booking ust when you are sure about your practical driving skills. Of course, you can't learn practical driving from online videos, no way! The only thing that helps is practical driving :)
Good luck!
/Hakan
Körkort
Hakan

Postby fungus » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Hakan, and welcome to the forum.

You can't book a practical test in the UK untill you have passed your theory test. You need the theory test pass certificate number in order to book a practical test.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Return to Learner Driver Forum