Cancelling lessons in adverse conditios?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Lynne » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Ooo 'ello Long Time No Post :oops: Some of you know me, most probably don't after all this time!!

Managed to get a lesson in yesterday as the snow fell. I also just had time to get her to a wide, freshly snowed on, empty road so we could have a play around.

Today was a no go, same as tomorrow. Apart from obviously advice and conditions, as an indie, I have to think about my car (not us having a prang but others going into us). As I'm not with a national school I won't have a 'like for like' car given to me if mine if off the road.

As for skid pans, the one at Essex HQ is now not in use..I am told that Essex Police now go to All Motor Training in Kelvedon. (They are on the list) I think the cost is about £400 a time (half day). I usually go with a group I belong to and we try to get at least 10 of us so we split the cost.

A couple of peeps from the group in action, taken errr with my nokia phone some while back and lifted (unbenown to me) onto their website from YouTube so not a good video...it's an idea though of what they do on the skidpan.

Lynne
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby waremark » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:51 am

If I was an ADI, I think I would be calling recent students, suggesting a session in a local uncleared car park - as good a facility as any skid school, and not car damaging. You might end up selling further training.
waremark

Postby jont » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 am

waremark wrote:If I was an ADI, I think I would be calling recent students, suggesting a session in a local uncleared car park - as good a facility as any skid school, and not car damaging. You might end up selling further training.

Might you also end up with an S59 notice?
jont

Postby Renny » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 am

adiNigel wrote:Is there a skid pan anywhere near you? May be worth investing in a session for you and your daughter sometime. At least then everything is done under controlled situations. I can highly recommend a skid pan session.

Nigel

I'd look for an empty industrial estate car park myself. :wink:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:40 pm

dth wrote:As for skid pans, the one at Essex HQ is now not in use..

Hi Lynne

I did work there a long time ago in the 80's :oops: :oops:

Renny wrote:
adiNigel wrote:Is there a skid pan anywhere near you? May be worth investing in a session for you and your daughter sometime. At least then everything is done under controlled situations. I can highly recommend a skid pan session.

Nigel

I really do fancy having a go on a skid pan :wink: ...but...also would like to experience a slide/skid on the real thing...just so I know how to handle it and dont panic..which is what I probably would do :lol: :lol:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby TripleS » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:I really do fancy having a go on a skid pan :wink: ...but...also would like to experience a slide/skid on the real thing...just so I know how to handle it and dont panic..which is what I probably would do :lol: :lol:

Just find a deserted stretch of minor road where you can see that nobody else can be anywhere near you for a while, or an empty car park, and try things at very low speed and with plenty of space around you.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 am

Renny wrote:

Nigel

I have no problem with that, I took a test-ready pupil to an empty car park last night to do some skid recovery. The reason I suggested that Sonia go to a skid pan is that she would be with someone to help coach her.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby waremark » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 pm

jont wrote:
waremark wrote:If I was an ADI, I think I would be calling recent students, suggesting a session in a local uncleared car park - as good a facility as any skid school, and not car damaging. You might end up selling further training.

I was not suggesting causing alarm, distress or annoyance! When I was playing in a car park, on the contrary, I helped push a couple of stuck drivers. What would occasion such a notice?
waremark

Postby jont » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 pm

waremark wrote:
jont wrote:

I was not suggesting causing alarm, distress or annoyance! When I was playing in a car park, on the contrary, I helped push a couple of stuck drivers. What would occasion such a notice?

I wonder if the police would have different interpretations between say a more mature individual in a normal car compared to a youngster in a sports car or similar (thinking of Jay's experience in not dissimilar circumstances)? You don't have to be causing alarm, distress or annoyance - all it takes is for plod to decide for themselves that you are and issue the notice.
jont

Postby waremark » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:29 pm

jont wrote:I wonder if the police would have different interpretations between say a more mature individual in a normal car compared to a youngster in a sports car or similar (thinking of Jay's experience in not dissimilar circumstances)? You don't have to be causing alarm, distress or annoyance - all it takes is for plod to decide for themselves that you are and issue the notice.

What I was specifically suggesting was that it was a suitable activity for a driving instructor in a marked up car. In such a case, it would not be a matter of teaching handbrake turns, but demonstrating and allowing the pupil to experience and understand understeer and long stopping distances; and perhaps lift off oversteer which can be experienced at low speeds in FWD cars with the handbrake partly applied.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby mickjane2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:02 pm

There is a rumour going around here that an ADI had his accident claim refused because he should not have been teaching a pupil in such adverse conditions (very heavy snow). The insurance company put it down to negligence. Is this an urban myth or just lazy ADI's lol. :lol:

Mick
mickjane2

Postby michael769 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 am

mickjane2 wrote:There is a rumour going around here that an ADI had his accident claim refused because he should not have been teaching a pupil in such adverse conditions (very heavy snow). The insurance company put it down to negligence. Is this an urban myth or just lazy ADI's lol. :lol:

Mick

It's an urban myth. The whole point of motor insurance is to protect you against your own negligence(*). If insurers could reject claims on the grounds of negligence they would never pay out, and insurance would be pointless.

I would not rule out an insurer trying it on but would be confident that the Financial Ombudsman would take a very dim view of such a refusal.

(*) This does not apply to the theft component of the cover.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 pm

TripleS wrote:
I wasn't using the handbrake when old CUBby did it to me. :D

<Thinks: I wonder if I ought to have put the new pair of tyres on the back, or used 'winters' all round?> :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.

The one and only time I've provoked lift off oversteer, on the road, was embarrassing. Sitting alongside was a uniformed, on duty, advanced police instructor. :oops:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum