Cancelling lessons in adverse conditios?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:41 pm

In view of the adverse weather conditions affecting the UK at the moment, would you cancell lessons?

Although we only have about 3cm of snow here, and main roads have been treated, side roads and housing estates have not. In fact to join the main B road through the village from the estate where I live, you have to climb a short hill with little run up. The result is that vehicles often get stuck on the junction and approaches to it. Most pupils live in roads that are untreated, and I personally feel that it's not worth the risk of damaging the car with the inconvenience that it brings.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jont » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Tricky one. The lesson could be invaluable for a pupil that finds themselves on their own after passing the test in these sorts of conditions. However as you say, the risk is damaging the car (or worse still yourself/pupil). Can they meet you on a more major road by walking out of the housing estate?
jont

Postby Gareth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06 pm

If you have cold weather tyres fitted it might be worthwhile, especially for pupils who are close to taking their test. Otherwise safer not to.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm

For me, it depends entirely on how bad the roads are and what standard the pupil has reached. If it is possible to let the lesson go ahead I will try to continue.

A lesson from last year....(on a pupil's test day, not surprisingly the test didn't go ahead but we agreed to have "an introduction to adverse weather conditions" lesson.....Image
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Pupil this afternoon decided that the roads near him were too bad, although I think that he would have coped with the conditions as they are improving. This mornings pupil decided that it would be better to forgo todays lesson as the road where he lives is a series of short undulating hills, and the police had closed the road on a junction just beyond his home due to it being very slippery. The alternative route was up a rutted unmade road. At present the road conditions are not bad around here though.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:36 pm

adiNigel wrote:For me, it depends entirely on how bad the roads are and what standard the pupil has reached. If it is possible to let the lesson go ahead I will try to continue.

A lesson from last year....(on a pupil's test day, not surprisingly the test didn't go ahead but we agreed to have "an introduction to adverse weather conditions" lesson.....Image

That's a nice scene; what's the problem? Just be ready to apply a bit of right lock. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:53 pm

The only problem was me trying to get to the pupil in the first place - I had to go up a fairly steep hill to get to my pupil's house and the hill was slippery. Once I made it we had no problems at all - we both enjoyed the lesson.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:23 pm

adiNigel wrote:The only problem was me trying to get to the pupil in the first place - I had to go up a fairly steep hill to get to my pupil's house and the hill was slippery. Once I made it we had no problems at all - we both enjoyed the lesson.

Nigel

So, a good result after all; and so long as it doesn't distract the pupil from dealing with driving in normal conditions, I think it's good that you both coped well in these abnormal circumstances. Having 'survived' this, I would think your pupil will be better off. We ought not to miss out on these opportunities to improve overall capability.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:33 pm

If all you manage to do is demonstrate how far it can take to stop, and the benefits of being smooth, then something worthwhile will have been achieved without the pupil driving at all.
waremark

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Well my opinion is if you have pupils who are near test standard and can handle driving in normal conditions then more experience they can get with the advice of their ADi by their side the better :D :D

I had lessons for 18 months and never got one in the snow :mrgreen: When it snowed last feb I phoned me old ADi and asked for lesson which I had. However til just before xmas id never driven in snow before on me own...and it scared me!! Am I over that yet....nope, this morning we had about 8 inches much more than dec and to get my car out of the carport, its uphill slope then I have to turn sharp left as im at then end of a t junction and theres fence the other side. It must of taken me about 20 minutes to get out me drive :lol: :lol: wheels were turning and going nowhere!! Would I like more lessons in the snow...YES PLEASE!!!
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:32 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:....Would I like more lessons in the snow...YES PLEASE!!!

Are you anywhere near Swindon?

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 pm

adiNigel wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:....Would I like more lessons in the snow...YES PLEASE!!!

Are you anywhere near Swindon?

Nigel

Hi Nigel

No im in Essex!! I did phone me old ADi today...to see if he was free. His car is in garage so if I want any 'snow' lessons I ave to drive to him...15 miles...dont wanna do that :lol: :lol: :lol: ...but also know that I have to drive to work friday night, and unlike everything else that comes to a standstill in the snow, the out of hours Dr service still needs to run :twisted: :twisted:
x-Sonia-x

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Is there a skid pan anywhere near you? May be worth investing in a session for you and your daughter sometime. At least then everything is done under controlled situations. I can highly recommend a skid pan session.

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:50 pm

adiNigel wrote:Is there a skid pan anywhere near you? May be worth investing in a session for you and your daughter sometime. At least then everything is done under controlled situations. I can highly recommend a skid pan session.

Nigel

There is one at Essex police HQ, I know coz I used to work there :wink: Not sure if they do any sort of sessions there. Its strange coz its 'experiencing' a skid/slide that I really want. Until you do that its hard to say how you would handle it :wink:
x-Sonia-x

Postby dth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:02 pm

As Nigel rightly says, it is a balance between the conditions, the pupil's ability AND the advice that has been given out by the police.

It is a fine decision and one which should not be taken lightly.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum