Muslim Driving School

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ROG » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:42 am

fungus wrote:I had a pupil a couple of years ago who had a spinal problem that caused her dificulty turning round. I phoned the DSA to find out whether she could have extra mirrors to help, and was advised to try to get her to reverse with just the cars standard mirrors because if she needed extra mirrors, it would become a condition of her licence.

The moral of the story. Get your licence, then fit the extra mirrors. :lol:

Why not simply adjust the nearside mirror before starting the reverse and then re-adjust it at the end of the reverse??
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:48 pm

ROG wrote,

Why not simply adjust the nearside mirror before starting the reverse and then re-adjust it at the end of the reverse??

Manually adjusted mirors. I'm not sure the examiner would approve of having to adjust the NS door mirror.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ROG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 am

fungus wrote:Manually adjusted mirors. I'm not sure the examiner would approve of having to adjust the NS door mirror.

Why not - is it illegal or unsafe to do so?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 pm

ROG wrote,

Why not - is it illegal or unsafe to do so?

It's not illegal or unsafe, but given how pedantic some examiners are over some things, I can' imagine that it would go down too well with some.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby GJD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm

fungus wrote:It's not illegal or unsafe, but given how pedantic some examiners are over some things, I can' imagine that it would go down too well with some.

I'm slightly surprised by your thoughts too. What do you think an examiner might object to: the candidate not demonstrating the ability to perform the manoeuvre without the additional reference of an adjusted mirror (which I guess might not be available on every vehicle they might drive in future)? Or the fact that adjusting the mirror downwards means you can no longer use it to see behind on that side - pedestrians on the pavement for example? Or just that it's not the textbook technique?

Gavin
GJD

Postby MGF » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I would imagine the driver would have to make the adjustments herself. With a manual mirror this might take some time; might this be failing to make progress?
MGF

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:55 pm

MGF wrote:I would imagine the driver would have to make the adjustments herself. With a manual mirror this might take some time; might this be failing to make progress?

I would not of wanted to do this while on test,!!!! and yes for me it would of taken me ages!! During my lessons my ADi would fold in the left door mirror so I couldnt use it at all, as he said I relied on it too much :cry:

My car now only has manual mirrors, which take forever to adjust coz you have to lean right over then sit back to see if you get it right...for me a much easier solution would be an extra mirror as fungus suggests :wink:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby GJD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:I would not of wanted to do this while on test,!!!! and yes for me it would of taken me ages!! During my lessons my ADi would fold in the left door mirror so I couldnt use it at all, as he said I relied on it too much :cry:

Now you mention it, I seem to recall my driving instructor doing something similar, but my memory might be playing tricks. I can't see a problem with using the nearside mirror if you want to (I take the point about manual ones being rather more cumbersome than electric) to help line up with the kerb - it seems perfectly suited to the job. Fixating on the nearside mirror (whether adjusted or not) to the detriment of all-round observation is another thing altogether though. But I'm not an ADI so my opinion is just my opinion. If you're taking the test, it's what the instructor and examiner think that matters.

Gavin
GJD

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:15 am

fungus wrote:Aren't we ADIs wonderful :lol:

And modest too ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:07 pm

fungus wrote:
Aren't we ADIs wonderful

And modest too

Hang on. I've just unjammed my head from the lounge door. It must have grown more than I'd expected. Or is that just poor spatial awareness? :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:33 pm

GJD wrote:
fungus wrote:It's not illegal or unsafe, but given how pedantic some examiners are over some things, I can' imagine that it would go down too well with some.

I'm slightly surprised by your thoughts too. What do you think an examiner might object to: the candidate not demonstrating the ability to perform the manoeuvre without the additional reference of an adjusted mirror (which I guess might not be available on every vehicle they might drive in future)? Or the fact that adjusting the mirror downwards means you can no longer use it to see behind on that side - pedestrians on the pavement for example? Or just that it's not the textbook technique?

Gavin

I sometimes set my near side door mirror downwards more than normal in the interests of reversing into a marked bay, or for seeing the kerb when parallel parking, but this setting is not so extreme as to prevent me seeing pedestrians.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:18 pm

GJD wrote:

Gavin

Some of the examiners I have encountered in the past would say that you should have the mirrors adjusted before you start and not need to adjust them further. That's why I have a small blind spot mirror fitted so as not to interfere with the vision from the NS door mirror. I personally don't have a problem with adjusting the mirror for manoeuvring, but I think some examiners would say that the driver should adjust them, which is not easy with manualy adjusted mirrors.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby brianhaddon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:03 am

fungus wrote:Some of the examiners I have encountered in the past would say that you should have the mirrors adjusted before you start and not need to adjust them further.

My son's car adjusts the nearside mirror for you when you select reverse. I wonder how that would go down with them.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:48 pm

brianhaddon wrote:
fungus wrote:Some of the examiners I have encountered in the past would say that you should have the mirrors adjusted before you start and not need to adjust them further.

My son's car adjusts the nearside mirror for you when you select reverse. I wonder how that would go down with them.
Regards
Brian Haddon

What car has he got?????....I want one 8)
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby crr003 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:41 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:What car has he got?????....I want one 8)

My Audi A6 did that.
crr003

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum