Muslim Driving School

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 am

Just wondered if anyone watched the new reality show, Muslim Driving School this evening???

I found it very entertaining :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:14 am

The wife and I watched it - more next week at same time
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:51 am

I thought the instructors were excellent - very patient with some clearly very nervous clients.

I think many of us take for granted the freedom we gain from be able to own and drive a car...it's just not like that for lots of people.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 am

martine wrote:I think many of us take for granted the freedom we gain from be able to own and drive a car...it's just not like that for lots of people.

Im one of em :oops: :oops: ....thing is it was only driving I had fear of, work etc - totally confident, infact Ive never been for a job interview where I didnt get job :wink: . So what is it that gives rise to this almighty fear??? For me, even turning the key in the ignition and the sound of the engine made me panic...and for a whole hours lesson - that was torture :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: ...those were the days :lol: :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 pm

Aren't we ADIs wonderful :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 pm

fungus wrote:Aren't we ADIs wonderful :lol:

Absolutely, old boy. I don't suppose there's a free refresher lesson, or three, in the offing? :lol:

Actually, I wouldn't mind comparing notes, without wishing to upset anything of course.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:23 pm

fungus wrote:Aren't we ADIs wonderful :lol:

I certainly agree with that statement :D :D

Just out of curiosity..... and coz I like being nosey :wink: ...how do you deal with nervous pupils? For me, in the first 6 months with my last ADi, on several occasions I would email him and tell him I couldnt do it anymore, I would never be able to drive etc...he would email back something along the lines of 'you are funny...see you thurs'...and would always turn up for the next lesson :lol: :lol: I know, that if he hadnt of done that I would of given up!! :roll: Also you must get the biggest 'job satisfaction' from teaching someone who is so nervous???
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Sonia,

With a nervous pupil I try to find out the reason for the nervousness. I find that initially a relaxed approach along with a chat to settle them down and plenty of encouragement helps. You have to assess the way to deal with a pupil quickly. Should you be formal, or would a less formal approach be better?

Plenty of talk through helps all pupils in the early stages of attempting a new skill, but with nervous pupils this is obviously extended. I also find that question and answer sessions can help to build confidence prior to trying a new skill if you can get the pupil to work out the best option.

I often use demonstration with commentary of where I'm looking, and what I'm looking for. I sometimes get them to park up in a position where they can watch how other drivers deal with a situation. For instance. Imagine a typical residential street with cars parked on both sides of the road. Parking in a position before the obstructions they can see how other drivers deal with the obstructions. We can then discuss how various drivers dealt with the situation, which ones dealt with it OK, and which ones made a mess of it. They then have an idea of what to do, and what not to do.

Many will talk themselves out of doing something. For instance, one of my pupils will do her utmost to avoid reversing the car on to the drive. Her reason is that she does not want to make a fool of herself, and when she has passed her test, her father will reverse her car on for her. My response is usually that she will look more of a fool if she abandons the car and gets someone else to park it for her. I am usualy more forcefull with her and won't accept her excuses. The irony is that she can reverse paralell park perfectly reasonably, although reversing around a corner is not perfect, it is acceptable. She also has no difficulty in turning the car around using forward and reverse gears.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:45 pm

fungus wrote:She also has no difficulty in turning the car around using forward and reverse gears.

Yeah but what's she like doing a 3 point turn though :?: (sorry)

I've not come across a really nervous 'advanced' associate yet - the closest was one who didn't like motorways - understandably as she had been in a serious accident previously. Just a bit of reassurance and encouragement with extended obs seemed to do the trick.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Nigel

Thanx for sharing that. I can identify with this bit.....

fungus wrote:Many will talk themselves out of doing something

.......your girly that doesnt like reversing on her drive, even now I hate reversing my car into my carport, for exactly that reason. You do think everyone is watching you...even though they probably are not :oops: :lol: but during my lessons I would make every excuse in the world to avoid any sort of reversing :twisted:

fungus wrote: I sometimes get them to park up in a position where they can watch how other drivers deal with a situation.

I think this is great idea and I would imagine one that works

martine wrote:I've not come across a really nervous 'advanced' associate yet

Im quite surprised by that, I would of thought lots of associates would be nervous, especially the ones who are older and havent driven for years :) I was nervous on my first advanced drive and I know the reason for that is that someone else is actually watching what you do :oops: :oops:
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:32 pm

I have a young lady associate who, although confident, and competant in all other aspects, struggles with reversing. At the moment we are working on the left reverse. She reverses slower than a learner would, and the accuracy is not that good. Some of the problem is that she is probably only 5ft tall and she finds looking around makes her feel nausious, so we only do two or three reverses. I have advised her to get a small mirror to fix below the NS door mirror as she can't tilt it low enough to be of any help. Another thing I found out yesterday when I asked her to reverse paralell park, was that she would pull up a full cars length beyond the gap. This appears to be down to how she was taught when learning. I teach my learners to pull up no more than a bonnet length beyond the target vehicle, and if they stop at the point of turn, make all round observations and get on with it.

Going back to the left reverse. I know that it is traditionally taught to pull up about two car lengths beyond the junction, or it was when I was training to be an ADI. Personaly I think this is totaly unecessary. I always pull up at the point of turn and start from there.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ROG » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:13 am

fungus wrote:Going back to the left reverse. I know that it is traditionally taught to pull up about two car lengths beyond the junction, or it was when I was training to be an ADI. Personaly I think this is totaly unecessary.

I have a thought on why this may be necessary for a B learner...

Being 2 car lengths away from the corner allows safe space for other road users especially those who may come out of the side road to turn left as well as it being a space where the learner is not under pressure to 'get on with it' so allowing the learner to set up correctly (maybe adjust the n/s mirror) before proceeding.

Perhaps I am well off with my thoughts as I am not an ADI...
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:02 pm

When I was learning we certainly pulled up a lil way from the corner...dont think it was 2 car lengths though :?

fungus wrote: I have advised her to get a small mirror to fix below the NS door mirror as she can't tilt it low enough to be of any help

I am going to get one :D ...although I made up all the excuses in the world not to reverse, I actually found it really difficult to turn round and see out of the rear screen (I do have spine disease, where 2 vertebrae are fused together - and thats not an excuse :lol: :lol: ). Think this may help me even now, though I must say ive been driving for 18 months now and ive never got meself in a position I cant get out of :D

fungus wrote:This appears to be down to how she was taught when learning.

My ADi said to me that because I spent 16 hours in a car park parralel parking with my previous ADi (this was my first 8 lessons as at the time I was waiting for my provisional as id lost it, and about 7 yrs ago)...I had inground 'bad habits' and repeating mistakes had caused all my problems..think there is some truth in that
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:58 pm

I had a pupil a couple of years ago who had a spinal problem that caused her dificulty turning round. I phoned the DSA to find out whether she could have extra mirrors to help, and was advised to try to get her to reverse with just the cars standard mirrors because if she needed extra mirrors, it would become a condition of her licence.

The moral of the story. Get your licence, then fit the extra mirrors. :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:26 pm

fungus wrote:
Going back to the left reverse. I know that it is traditionally taught to pull up about two car lengths beyond the junction, or it was when I was training to be an ADI. Personaly I think this is totaly unecessary.
I have a thought on why this may be necessary for a B learner...

Being 2 car lengths away from the corner allows safe space for other road users especially those who may come out of the side road to turn left as well as it being a space where the learner is not under pressure to 'get on with it' so allowing the learner to set up correctly (maybe adjust the n/s mirror) before proceeding.

Perhaps I am well off with my thoughts as I am not an ADI...

I can see where you're coming from ROG, but once they get back to the point of turn the problem still presents itself as they still have to do a full 360 degree observation. As learners generaly reverse quite slowly, the problem of a vehicle appearing from behind is a fairly common one, and one that can be awkward for them to deal with, in so much as, are they going to get out of the way in time, or will they be too slow, and then the other driver starts to go around them mid corner.

As I understand it, the reason that they are required to go back a reasonable distance (3 to 4 car lengths), is so that the examiner can assess the candidates ability to reverse in a straight line. It also takes them a little clear of the junction
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum