DSA Theory test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:Been thinking about this, can I ask, you wasnt a driver at the time, but was aasked to review the material they were going to use????.....I wonder why they got learners instead of expert drivers to review and infact construct the questions in the first place?? :shock:

My driving instructor was involved in the "written theory test" (although I don't know at what level) and he asked me to sit the sample paper he had been given and then give my feedback to him. Presumably he then fed it back to the relevant people and the test was born. Whether I was the only learner in the country to be asked I am not sure - I would suspect at the very least my driving instructor asked some his other pupils. :lol:

It was nice to be asked, but I passed my test before the theory test was introduced so I never got to see the end results.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:I would suspect at the very least my driving instructor asked some his other pupils.

I would be interested to know just how many ADi's had an input????? Anyone know? :wink:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby peterg7lyq » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:52 pm

hi while i feel for your problem. it is very difficult to have a test for all the types of human abilities on the planet.
i also wonder how your daughter will react to the stress of driving?

the best way i have found is to get her to research her problem, find a solution that works for her and the maybe pass it on.
sorry to be so negative, But i have always thought that we assume the right to drive, like getting a birth certificate.
most peopl will think nothing of spending thousands on getting a university qualification.
And yet they refuse to pay anything like as much on learning to drive, which is not only a memory thing like most exams.
but is also about learning decision making with a crash or no crash outcome.
which gear to be in to avoid damage to the engine.
ability to place the car correctly on the road with closing speeds in excess of 100 mph without hitting each other.

if you dont pass and get a degree the result wont be injury or death will it?

and thats the difference that no one will pay for
peterg7lyq

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:04 am

Hi

I appreciate your comments.

peterg7lyq wrote:it is very difficult to have a test for all the types of human abilities on the planet.

Very true, as humans we are individuals with different fears, history and abilities...we are human beings not robots and learning to drive is like anything else we learn in our lifetime. Driving is not a system its an art, yet it is this sytem that is failing so many youngsters, sitting in the classroom for an hour answering 50 case scenario questions will not make you a good driver :wink:
x-Sonia-x

Postby The Thinker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:05 pm

I thought the DSA published the questions word for word, with answers.
The Thinker

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:39 pm

I was just going to ask - how difficult are they? Being far too old to have ever seen one, I honestly have no idea whether I'd pass one or not. I know what I hope, but have nothing to support that view.

How does the average test candidate prepare? Do they buy a book or something that helps them study the right things?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby fungus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:How does the average test candidate prepare? Do they buy a book or something that helps them study the right things?

Most pupils nowadays use CD roms which have the theory questions along with an explantion of the answer. They usually include a number of hazard perception clips covering town, country, motorway, and night driving etc. There is a demonstration clip to show when to click the mouse, and showing how the scoring window deminishes as the hazard developes further.

A few years ago theory books were fairly popular, but with most people having access to PCs this is now the most popular means of study.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm

And how do the candidates know the questions in the materials will be appropriate to the test - are they published by the DSA, or by commercial organisations?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby fungus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:And how do the candidates know the questions in the materials will be appropriate to the test - are they published by the DSA, or by commercial organisations?

The CD roms are produced by commercial companies using questions from the Official DSA question bank.The DSA produce an interactive DVD for hazard perception practice. I can't remember if contains theory questions, but they do produce a theory question & answer book.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Well some googling turned up this page with a couple of practice tests from the DSA. I managed 45 and 49, the first result being biased by my poor knowledge of the speed limits when towing a trailer, and the like. Room for improvement :oops:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I managed 45 and 49

......not bad, not bad 8)

The best CDrom we have come across is 'Driving Test Success' - it includes all tests, theory, harzard perception and practical, has mock exams and is only £5.99...what a bargain 8) :wink:

I did try to copy a page of questions onto here...but didnt know how to upload it...can anyone help :oops: :wink:
x-Sonia-x

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Don't worry, you'd probably be breaking a copyright anyway. Does the company have a website?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:38 pm

True. Its produced by Focus...the website is www.focusmm.co.uk...havent been on the site though :mrgreen:
x-Sonia-x

Postby crr003 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Well some googling turned up this page with a couple of practice tests from the DSA. I managed 45 and 49, the first result being biased by my poor knowledge of the speed limits when towing a trailer, and the like. Room for improvement :oops:

Is it me or are some of those possible answers just silly?

And I disagree with the question about the injury RTC. There is no legal requirement to give a phone number AIUI.
crr003

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:50 pm

I just did one of the tests and got 50/50 8) but then I should really as ive spent hours and hours over the last few weeks going over and over theory questions :roll:

crr003 wrote:And I disagree with the question about the injury RTC. There is no legal requirement to give a phone number AIUI.

If you was to read through all 1300 questions I think you would find lots more you disagree with :twisted:
x-Sonia-x

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum