DSA Theory test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ROG » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:53 am

ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby crr003 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:I just did one of the tests and got 50/50 8)

Well done!
x-Sonia-x wrote:If you was to read through all 1300 questions I think you would find lots more you disagree with :twisted:

Another thing I didn't know: Apparently if you're thinking of reversing from a side road to a main road you should "not at any time".

It's not illegal though.
crr003

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:13 pm

The accident one got me - apparently it's more important to know if the driver is the owner of the vehicle than it is to know if he/she has a licence :?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jont » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The accident one got me - apparently it's more important to know if the driver is the owner of the vehicle than it is to know if he/she has a licence :?

I made that mistake too. :?
jont

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Well one of the many 'wrong' questions in the theory bank asks: how much distilled water should you add to your car battery? .....most batteries are 'sealed for life' these days :twisted:

But I will say that I have actually learnt alot over the last few weeks.....there are loads of things that I had never heard of before :oops:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:51 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:Well one of the many 'wrong' questions in the theory bank asks: how much distilled water should you add to your car battery? .....most batteries are 'sealed for life' these days

Do as I did with the wifes 306 HDI. Remove the sealing tape, and check the level myself. I've had to top up one cell on a couple of occasions, but the battery is the original, and at almost 10 yrs old I dont think thats too bad. Neighbours of mine have an imaculate 1984 Mk1 Astra estate which they've had since new, and I believe the original battery lasted for 16+yrs. :D

Incidently, the correct level to top the battery up to, is just covering the cell plates.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:58 pm

fungus wrote:Incidently, the correct level to top the battery up to, is just covering the cell plates.

...there you go...ive learnt something new tonite as well 8) 8)
I dont think I will ever attempt to top mine up though :oops:
x-Sonia-x

Postby GJD » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:09 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The accident one got me - apparently it's more important to know if the driver is the owner of the vehicle than it is to know if he/she has a licence :?

I've just gone through the first test and came across the same question. It's about halfway through and I'd ticked "Whether the driver owns the other vehicle involved" in preference to "Whether the other driver is licensed to drive" almost before I realised it was the question you mentioned. Clearly answering "no" to "are you licensed to drive?" is much more serious than answering "no" to "is this your vehicle?", but I think that's exactly why the correct response to the theory test question is the one it is.

The difference is in the nature of the question. If I ask you whether you are the owner, I am simply establishing a relevant [*] fact, and both "yes" and "no" can be legitimate answers. If I ask you whether you are licensed or not, I am implicitly accusing you of a serious offence. I think it's more the case that, as a concerned member of the public it is my business to establish relevant and innocent facts, whereas it is not my business to make serious, unfounded accusations.

Gavin

[*] Although rather less relevant, I'd have thought, than the other three correct answers: driver's name and address, insurance details and vehicle registration.
Last edited by GJD on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJD

Postby fungus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 pm

jont wrote:

That is how learners often answer that question. Whether the other driver is licenced or not is a matter for the police, not the parties involved in the accident.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:35 pm

So how is ownership a matter for the parties involved? Surely that's a matter for the insurers?

The whole thing should be able to be resolved with the registration mark. If anything else were required, the name and address of the driver should complete the picture. Everything else should be able to be deduced from one of those two items.

PS I actually ticked the ownership option first, then changed it in favour of the licence question, because I thought it probably had more legal significance. I wonder how many people involved in an accident remember the right 4 things? :roll:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby MGF » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:13 am

crr003 wrote:...I disagree with the question about the injury RTC. There is no legal requirement to give a phone number AIUI.

I think the question refers to what you 'should' do not what you 'MUST' do as in the HC sense.

It is a legal requirement to give the name and address of the vehicle owner to the other party (if you don't report it as soon as practicable or within 24 hours). This requirement was in the 1930 Road Traffic Act. :)

I got the question on arm signals wrong as I assumed the car was facing towards me. Forget about us driving right-hand drive cars.

:oops:
MGF

Postby GJD » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:So how is ownership a matter for the parties involved? Surely that's a matter for the insurers?

I'd have thought so, but the question asked for four answers :). The ownership answer seemed the least incorrect of the remaining options after I'd ticked the three I thought were definite.

Actually, the whole "mark four answers" thing is what caught me out when I first saw theory test questions. The web test is helpful enough to prompt you if you haven't ticked enough options, but when I first went through practice questions in a book I did abysmally simply because I'd never before (or since) encountered a multiple choice quiz where you select more than one answer - and I didn't read the questions properly. Fortunately I wasn't doing it for real...

Gavin
GJD

Postby crr003 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:35 pm

jont wrote:

HC286 and 287. It's based on RTA 1988 s170.
Interesting to note here no mention of phone numbers either......................so why in the test question?
What if the vehicle is a company one - the owner/insurer is important not the driver?

Also, if it's only damage, not an injury to someone other than yourself as driver, you don't have to give/show insurance details.
crr003

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:18 am

For those that have tried the mock theory tests it shows that not all questions have clear black/white answers...and the members on here are not learners!! The DSA also have a habit of wording the question 'When you are........what must you NOT do', now when you read this type of question quickly you automatically respond with the 'correct' answer ie what you should do (if that makes sense :lol: ) Gavin also picked up on the fact that some questions asked you to mark 4 answers. You then have the case scenarios, which are not on the mock tests on here that I have looked at. This is a page of text explaining a 'situation', now if you add up all the information you are given and take into consideration a person with 'special' needs or learning difficulties I am sure the DSA could come up with a better test than this :twisted: ..... Ive got confused writing this post :roll: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum