DSA Theory test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ROG » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:31 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:My daughter did her theory test no5 this morning...and failed

x-Sonia-x wrote:she has been doing mock test every day for few weeks now, and has passed every one for about the last 3 weeks

Pressure and test nerves comes to mind.....
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:56 pm

ROG wrote:Pressure and test nerves comes to mind.....

Totally agree Rog :wink: ....and the fascinating bit for me, I took theory test once, just booked it, did the DVD for 2 weeks and got 100% right...practical test went to pieces...seems its the other way round for me daughter...she has no nerves when driving but cant get the hang of the theory test :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:she has no nerves when driving

That may change when on the DSA driving test if the theory test is anything to go by......
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:34 pm

ROG wrote:That may change when on the DSA driving test if the theory test is anything to go by......

Ohhhhh Rog...dont say that!! My nerves wont take it :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:27 am

Well.....today she passed theory test no6 :D :D ...well yesterday actaully as its gone past midnght :lol: :lol: Only just though, 43/50 for the questions (thats minimum pass) and 47/75 for hazard 44/75 is a pass :roll:

I havent as yet written to the DSA I wanted her to pass first :D But I am unhappy that they appear to have no protocol in place for people with learning difficulties. For my daughter both concentration and understanding the wording of the questions were an issue. The DSA will probably tell me all thats needed is revision. In her case it wasnt, she needed someone to explain scenarios/events in a way that she understood, I personally wasnt able to offer her that. In terms of revision she has probably taken more mock tests than anyone else. Ive learnt alot too...as there were quite a few questions that id never heard of either :oops: The last few weeks have been an eye-opener for me and has made me realise that there are lots people out there who struggle with this test and who the DSA turn a blind eye too so if I can do anything to change that I will :wink: . For me personally....im a happy bunny as she has at long last passed :D :D :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby GJD » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:12 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:Well.....today she passed theory test no6 :D :D ...well yesterday actaully as its gone past midnght :lol: :lol:

Congratulations to your daughter Sonia. I bet she's pleased with that, and glad to see the back of it! :D .

x-Sonia-x wrote:Only just though, 43/50 for the questions (thats minimum pass) and 47/75 for hazard 44/75 is a pass :roll:

Obviously more is better, but a pass is a pass. That's all she needed.

Good luck taking on the DSA. It's an issue that wouldn't have occurred to me I expect.

Gavin
GJD

Postby waremark » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:46 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:I havent as yet written to the DSA I wanted her to pass first :D But I am unhappy that they appear to have no protocol in place for people with learning difficulties. For my daughter both concentration and understanding the wording of the questions were an issue.

Do her difficulties not in any way affect her awareness or her ability to make good judgements on the road?
waremark

Postby Gareth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:56 pm

waremark wrote:Do her difficulties not in any way affect her awareness or her ability to make good judgements on the road?

From previous discussions they appear to be of an interpretation of language nature, the sort of difficulties some people have in understanding the gist of a not particularly well worded sentence.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:46 pm

Gareth wrote:
waremark wrote:Do her difficulties not in any way affect her awareness or her ability to make good judgements on the road?

From previous discussions they appear to be of an interpretation of language nature, the sort of difficulties some people have in understanding the gist of a not particularly well worded sentence.

Thats exactly right Gareth, and no so far no difficulties have arisen :D

GJD wrote:Congratulations to your daughter Sonia. I bet she's pleased with that, and glad to see the back of it!

Thank you...and I think we will both feel a bit lost now after spending about 2 hours every day revising :lol: :lol:

GJD wrote:Good luck taking on the DSA. It's an issue that wouldn't have occurred to me I expect.

Me neither :wink: ...not until a couple of months ago, but it is surprising just how many people do struggle. My voice will only be one lil voice in a sea of voices........but if everyone wrote who had problems perhaps they would listen :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby The Thinker » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:00 pm

Best of luck with the remaining parts.
The Thinker

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:07 pm

The Thinker wrote:Best of luck with the remaining parts.

Thank you :D ....looks like her ADi may be giving up sooo we may be on the lookout for a new one :roll:
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:55 pm

GJD wrote:Good luck taking on the DSA. It's an issue that wouldn't have occurred to me I expect.

Just a lil update. I wrote to my MP mainly with concerns over the new part of the test that comes into effect in Oct, the independent part, but also about the problems some people face with the theory. I have received a letter back from him stating that he is very interested in the issues I have raised and will bring the matters up with both the Chief Executive of the DSA and the Transport Minister :D :D ....

will keep you posted :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:32 am

There are a couple of ADI's who are being quite vocal in their criticism of the DSA and the way they are introducing the 'independent driving' part of the test. If you think it may help I can pass on their contact details.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:02 pm

adiNigel wrote:There are a couple of ADI's who are being quite vocal in their criticism of the DSA and the way they are introducing the 'independent driving' part of the test.

What exactly are the concerns over this ?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:52 pm

adiNigel wrote:There are a couple of ADI's who are being quite vocal in their criticism of the DSA and the way they are introducing the 'independent driving' part of the test. If you think it may help I can pass on their contact details.

Nigel

Yes please Nigel...that would be great ...PM me...thanks xx

ROG wrote:
adiNigel wrote:There are a couple of ADI's who are being quite vocal in their criticism of the DSA and the way they are introducing the 'independent driving' part of the test.

What exactly are the concerns over this ?

the main concerns are for those clients with learning difficulties or mental health issues. The British Dyslexic Association have apparently 'approved' the DSA's plans...which effectively they havent!! Its these clients that will suffer when the new independent part comes in as reading maps/directions can be a real problem for them :wink:
x-Sonia-x

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum