DSA Theory test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby jont » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:22 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:For those that have tried the mock theory tests it shows that not all questions have clear black/white answers...and the members on here are not learners!!

Give the DSA publish all possible questions, it doesn't seem a big deal to me to have read the theory test guide and make sure the answers to these are known to these more awkward questions. On top of that, even if 1 or 2 questions are slightly vague, it hasn't stopped any of us achieving a pass mark. I think it's like so many of the exams you sit at 17/18 (which is the age I imaging most of those sitting the theory test are) - learn the answer the examiner is looking for, even if you disagree with it.
jont

Postby ROG » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 am

Who actually compiles these theory questions?
Are there any independant checks and if yes, who does them?
Is there a complaints servce that has the power to change things?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:For those that have tried the mock theory tests it shows that not all questions have clear black/white answers...and the members on here are not learners!! The DSA also have a habit of wording the question 'When you are........what must you NOT do', now when you read this type of question quickly you automatically respond with the 'correct' answer ie what you should do (if that makes sense :lol: ) Gavin also picked up on the fact that some questions asked you to mark 4 answers. You then have the case scenarios, which are not on the mock tests on here that I have looked at. This is a page of text explaining a 'situation', now if you add up all the information you are given and take into consideration a person with 'special' needs or learning difficulties I am sure the DSA could come up with a better test than this :twisted: ..... Ive got confused writing this post :roll: :lol:

As Jont said, it is possible to "get through" these type of tests.
I think it's really quite important drivers know what the signs mean or don't mean and the basic "rules of the road" as given in the Highway Code.
I like the sound of the case scenario questions - I'd expect new drivers to able to assess a situation and make decisions based on that assessment - it's another level above learning what a sign means.
The test programme helpfully tells you if you haven't marked enough answers - I've fallen foul of multiple answers in the past :oops:
Many people call for re-testing on HC for existing drivers, say every 5 or 10 years. :shock:
crr003

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:39 pm

jont wrote: it doesn't seem a big deal to me to have read the theory test guide and make sure the answers to these are known to these more awkward questions.

This is okay for those candidates who are academically minded but there are those out there who have failed their GCSE's, often being labelled as lazy or not concentrating, and yet these people go on to have fantastic careers. The theory test is academically based, yes of course candidates need to have road knowledge and sign knowledge, but just because they do not have the academic ability to pass the theory test doesnt mean they are stupid and cannot succeed at driving. This type of disability is not recognised by DSA :twisted:

jont wrote: even if 1 or 2 questions are slightly vague, it hasn't stopped any of us achieving a pass mark

To be honest I would hope that everyone on here would obtain a pass mark, we are talking about driving experts who have an enthusiasm for driving :wink:

crr003 wrote:Many people call for re-testing on HC for existing drivers, say every 5 or 10 years.

Fantastic idea :D

ROG wrote:Who actually compiles these theory questions?

I am led to believe the civil servants sitting in their offices compile the questions. A couple of years ago ADIs were invited to attend meetings and devise questions, what the outcome of that was I dont know :roll: I also believe the question bank is 'overhauled' regularly just by adding more questions. I could be wrong on these points though :oops:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:10 pm

A common problem with people who have not taken exams for years is that most people scan read. This can lead you to miss key words like SHOULD or SHOULD NOT. I still remember when I started my ADI training they gave us questions that needed carefull reading. For eg. Is it legal for a man to marry his widows sister?
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm

It is, but if he's a Catholic, as my great-uncle Bill was, he might have to get a papal dispensation for it.

HTH :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby waremark » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Mr C-W obviously believes in reincarnation.
waremark

Postby Gareth » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:34 pm

waremark wrote:Mr C-W obviously believes in reincarnation.

Or, perhaps, marriages of convenience ;-)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Doh! and I read it twice, too! :oops:

However, if you want to marry your dead wife's sister, the above applies.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby fungus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks for the laugh. :lol: That just shows how easy it is to miss read a question.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby MGF » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:58 am

:lol:
MGF

Postby Russ_H » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:08 am

ROG wrote:Who actually compiles these theory questions?

I am led to believe the civil servants sitting in their offices compile the questions. A couple of years ago ADIs were invited to attend meetings and devise questions, what the outcome of that was I dont know :roll: I also believe the question bank is 'overhauled' regularly just by adding more questions. I could be wrong on these points though :oops:

When I worked for DSA, there would occasionally be opportunities for examiners to put themselves
forwards as question writers. As I remember it, they had to attend a short course on how to word
and present their questions. They would then be given time off from testing work to do some
question writing.

I'm not sure if this is still the method used.

Regards,

Russ
Russ_H

Postby The Thinker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:38 pm

I did my motor cycle test a year or two ago, after ages of being a car driver.

I got one of the CD's and tried every question on it. I found around 75% easy but that isn't enough for a pass. The other questions are manageable if you go over them. Of the reamaining 25% it wasnt to hard to go over them a few times to get the hang opf them. I did have to think a bit about why I got them wrong though and how I would get the correct answer the next time. Remembering all the answers doesn't work for me, learning principles works best.

Some tips for this test

There were only one or two of similar usefulness as how much distilled water do you need for a battery. These were actually good questions for me as they easily stuck out.

With questions like should not and you misread as should the fact that there are at least four options should make you think again, e.g. there would be at least two things you should do that you can easily understand. That should triggered me to read the question again.

Where there is more than one answer their program reminds you of this if you have the incorrect amount of answers ticked. So that shouldn't be a problem.

If you dont understand the question then you can try and reword it yourself, e.g. if it says what should you not do, think what is especially dangerous to do. What should you do can turn to what is helpful to do. Sometimes this works.

I skipped about 5 and the program was good at letting me revisit them, they were easier after I answered all the others (maybe I just needed a warm up).

Guess, as there are no marks off if you are wrong. Leave nothing blank, it may give you the extra you need.
The Thinker

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 pm

My daughter did her theory test no5 this morning...and failed :cry: :cry: She got 41/50 on the questions and 58/75 on the hazard perception :!: She was really upset after, but we had a positive chat and I convinced her to put in for it again asap....so we have booked another one for next week :D Most annoying part is, she has been doing mock test every day for few weeks now, and has passed every one for about the last 3 weeks :mrgreen: Never mind fingers crossed for next week :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby The Thinker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:28 am

That must be very disappointing to get so close. Still it should show that the test is not impossible for her.
Possibly just may be technique now. Remeber you don't get any more points for finishing faster and you do get to go over the answers again. This is worth doing as anyone can misread something under exam pressure.
The Thinker

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum