DSA Theory test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ROG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:49 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:the main concerns are for those clients with learning difficulties or mental health issues.

I would imagine the examiner is going to have a hard time failing someone for that especially if the new rules of having an ADI or supervising driver are in the back ????
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:22 pm

ROG wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:the main concerns are for those clients with learning difficulties or mental health issues.

I would imagine the examiner is going to have a hard time failing someone for that especially if the new rules of having an ADI or supervising driver are in the back ????

Hi Rog

the problems are vast...but one area in particular the DSA have ignored concerns by the BDA that dyslexic candidates will not be able to perform this part of the test. their needs have not been considered...infact the opposite the DSA have in their last publication stated that the BDA have given their approval for the new element when in fact they havent.....and at the end of the day...it will those in society who have learning difficulties that will be stopped from being able to drive.

its not being against the independent driving element (though i dont really see the benefit of it)....its how the DSA propose to test that part of it :wink:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 am

After speaking to Rosemary Thew at a consultation a few years ago on this subject it seems, at that time, that the idea was to see if a driver could split the concentration safely between the control of the vehicle and what they would usually do when looking for somewhere

I wonder if sat-navs can be used ?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:47 pm

ROG wrote:I wonder if sat-navs can be used ?

Hi Rog, I honestly dont know. My gut feeling is probably not...otherwise you may as well have the examiner telling you to take the next right/left etc :roll: the whole point of the new part of the test is to see if the candidate can drive ...completely independently, unaided and unpromted!!...they may be a map given by the examiner...again can foresee problems for people with learning difficulties....and the test time and test fee will be increased to accommodate the new part :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:36 pm

This afternoon at the Bournemouth test centre the manager held a surgery for those who were present.

One of the issues raised was that of independant driving. The candidate will be told to either, follow the signs to X, Y or Z. Be given a schematic map which will be large in detail, eg. A large simple diagram showing for instance, left at the end of the road, left first exit at the next roundabout, then the second road on the right, or given a set of three instructions,eg. at the end of the road turn right, then take the second road on the left, and at the end of that road turn left.

It appears that the fact that a candidate forgets part of the instructions and needs to ask for clarifaction, will not result in a fail. The test will be marked in the usual way, in that only faults that affect, or have the potential to affect another road user will be taken into account. In fact the manager said that he expected some candidates to foget the first part of the instruction by the time they had got to the end of the road. The way I understood it, was that it would be marked like eco driving is at the moment, ie. just a line through a box if the candidate does not perform reasonably efficiently in that element.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:34 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:the problems are vast...but one area in particular the DSA have ignored concerns by the BDA that dyslexic candidates will not be able to perform this part of the test. their needs have not been considered...infact the opposite the DSA have in their last publication stated that the BDA have given their approval for the new element when in fact they havent.....and at the end of the day...it will those in society who have learning difficulties that will be stopped from being able to drive.

It would be reasonable for the driving test to replicate what new drivers are going to have to do after passing. How do people with difficulties which would prevent them from passing this part of the test find their way about?
waremark

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:40 am

waremark wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:the problems are vast...but one area in particular the DSA have ignored concerns by the BDA that dyslexic candidates will not be able to perform this part of the test. their needs have not been considered...infact the opposite the DSA have in their last publication stated that the BDA have given their approval for the new element when in fact they havent.....and at the end of the day...it will those in society who have learning difficulties that will be stopped from being able to drive.

It would be reasonable for the driving test to replicate what new drivers are going to have to do after passing. How do people with difficulties which would prevent them from passing this part of the test find their way about?

I agree the whole point of the new part of the test is to do just that....BUT....in a test situation where nerves are present anyway...giving someone who has either mental health issues or learning difficulties a list of instructions...like take the next left, 2nd exit from the following roundabout, then the third turning on the right or a map.....that would confuse most people. I know its not about asking people to have a great memory...as they are able to ask at any time...which again defeats the object. If they wanted a truly independent drive then they should be saying...okay over to you, you drive for the next 15 minutes, and the candidates should be able to choose where they drive :wink:
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:31 pm

If I remember correctly, one option is -
Do you know the way back to the test centre from here ?
Yes
Please take us there
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum