Getting work/experience as a New LGV Driver?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby White Shadow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:26 pm

I am a qualified Driving Instructor, but since the recession I have gone from having a reasonable number of pupils to having none whatsoever.

As a result, I decided to invest some of my earnings in training, by attaining my LGV Class 2 licence which I successfully obtained first time back in 2007. From there, I signed up with an Employment Agency where I got some work driving a refuse vehicle for a local authority. However, I was then laid off in January 2008 because the local authority had to make cut backs in their financial budget and the agency was unable to offer me any new work.

Due to this, I took the decision to invest my money again in obtaining my LGV Class 1 which again I successfully passed first time in March 2008. Since passing my test, I have not gained any more experience driving Class 1 vehicles because I feel I need more experience driving class 2 and gaining experience using tachographs, both using digital cards and the old style of tachographs. Also, I have no experience of sheeting or roping any goods on a trailer.

If I did decide to move onto Class 1 vehicles, I would probably go back on a refresher course mainly to get more experience and confidence in reversing as I feel this is where the skill really is.

However, I have applied for a few class 2 driving jobs with various companies, but unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful probably due to the fact other candidates have acquired more experience than me and doing multidrops as well. I have invested in a professional satelite navigation system which is specifically designed for LGV vehicles to assist with nationwide deliveries. In particular, I want to gain work experience with refrigerator work.

Many people have suggested working for various Employment Agencies, but the problem I find using them is when you work for a company they offer no training whatsoever. I recall one company without mentioning any names were using vehicles which were not safe to be driven. When I questioned the driver what would happen if we were stopped by VOSA or the police? His response was, the vehicle would be taken off the road and you would be summoned to court for the appropriate offences committed at the time.

Anyone with any sense would refuse to drive such vehicles for safety reasons alone. More importantly, for newly qualified drivers, you are on probation for two years whereby if you acquire 6points on your licence then you lose every category on it!!!

Basically working for a company through an agency you are left on your own to get on with the job at hand. In my opinion, this is irresponsible of both the agency and the company you are working for.

Surely, it is not too much to ask to work with a professional company who will offer all the required training required in order to do your job both safely and professionally.

Please can anyone help?
White Shadow

Postby ROG » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:13 am

A read of THIS POST may be useful.

Companies generally want LGV drivers who are already trained so they do not have to spend the time and money on doing so which makes economic sense from a company viewpoint.

The Govt has the view that if you want extra training for LGV then you pay for it yourself.

The situation will not change unless there is a LGV driver shortage - a real one and not the pretend one that some training brokers pretend that there is!!

White Shadow wrote:More importantly, for newly qualified drivers, you are on probation for two years whereby if you acquire 6 points on your licence then you lose every category on it!!!

That is for newly passed car drivers but not LGV or any other upgrades.
Who told you that load of rubbish :?:

If you really want to know about all aspects of LGV then I strongly suggest a visit to HERE where there are experts in every field relating to LGV.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:22 am

Where are you based? The Iceland lorries in and out of the depot in Swindon always have notices asking for more drivers on them.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby daz6215 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:49 am

Another thing you might want to consider doing is going out with an experienced driver for free to gain experience that way, when I first started I done a few runs to learn the job, I didnt get paid but it did open doors.
daz6215

Postby White Shadow » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 pm

I am from the Staffordshire area of the midlands..
White Shadow

Return to Learner Driver Forum