Roundabout question

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ljo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Perhaps someone can clarify some roundabout rules for me. I thought it was straightforward but just want to make sure I wasn't in the wrong.

Basically, I was approaching a 3 lane roundabout from a 2 lane road (A1020 south to gallions reach roundabout). I wanted to take the 4th exit (west on Royal Albert Way). I approached in the right lane and moved into the middle lane of the roundabout. Once on it, there are road markings on the two outer lanes for Royal Albert Way. As I went into the middle lane, the car that was beside me in the left lane honked as they were also going to the middle lane and thought I had cut them off. I'm pretty sure I was correct though. Is this right?

Thanks!

The roundabout I'm talking about:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... 8&t=h&z=19
ljo

Postby ROG » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Having looked at the layout on the map I would say that the right lane approach sends a driver into lane 3 of the roundabout and the left lane approach gives the option for either lanes 1 or 2 on the roundabout.

The right lane approach is just about wide enough for one vehicle but the left lane approach is very wide.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Gareth » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 pm

ljo wrote:As I went into the middle lane, the car that was beside me in the left lane honked as they were also going to the middle lane

The basic answer is don't join a roundabout when you are parallel to another vehicle.

As far as I can tell from Google Maps, it is reasonable for vehicles in either lane on the A120 to join the roundabout and choose the middle lane, so it is up to nearby drivers to avoid conflict, in part by signalling and being aware of others' signalling.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:29 pm

"Correct" is a bit of a black and white term so it might be worth stepping back and looking at the situation as a whole.

The question in my mind is what caused the other driver to honk at you? Did you make clear your intentions ahead of your manouevre? Did you cause them to change speed or direction? Could you have anticipated other traffic wanting to merge into your lane?

Ideally you don't want to be on a roundabout along side anyone if you can help it to give yourself plenty of room for manouevre and also to avoid being in anyone's blindspot :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ljo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Well the other driver honked from behind me as I was quicker off the line. The problem I have is that I was taught that the left lane is for left and straight ahead which is what the outer ring on this roundabout is for, and the right lane is for turning right or back the way you came. But I guess it seems the rule isn't as clear as I thought. Anyway, I still think I was right as I was quicker to get into the lane and so the other driver should have just followed me in.
ljo

Postby ljo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Also just to clarify, the inner ring is only for going back onto the A1020 north. It is a bit of a daft layout....
ljo

Postby GJD » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:52 pm

ljo wrote:The problem I have is that I was taught that the left lane is for left and straight ahead which is what the outer ring on this roundabout is for, and the right lane is for turning right or back the way you came. But I guess it seems the rule isn't as clear as I thought.

Well the rule isn't absolute. The highway code advice on which lane to use for which direction is liberally caveated with, "unless signs or markings indicate otherwise": Rule 186. Looking at your google link though, while there are road markings on the roundabout itself, there don't appear to be any on your approach road. If I was on a two lane approach road to an unfamiliar roundabout, intending to take the 4th of 5 exits, 270 degrees around, I think I'd want pretty strong advance notice if lane 2 wasn't the correct lane to approach in.

In terms of the honking event, I'd only suggest that where there is doubt about something like choice of lane, what seems like a sensible and intuitive choice to you might not seem that way to the person behind you and could surprise them, whether you are technically correct or not. I think the way to manage that, as suggested by other replies, is clear indication of your intentions - signalling and road position.

It's a big roundabout and a long way round to your exit. In your situation, personally I would be quite prepared to consider staying in lane 3 on the roundabout that little bit longer to make sure those around me had understood what I was going to do, even if that meant I was still in lane 3 when the road markings said I should be in lane 2. I'd rather be safe than right.

Gavin
GJD

Postby ljo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Some very good advice there. It seems i wasn't doing anything technically wrong by my lane choice but should have used more caution with regards to the other driver.
ljo

Postby fungus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 pm

GJD wrote:It's a big roundabout and a long way round to your exit. In your situation, personally I would be quite prepared to consider staying in lane 3 on the roundabout that little bit longer to make sure those around me had understood what I was going to do, even if that meant I was still in lane 3 when the road markings said I should be in lane 2. I'd rather be safe than right.

Gavin

And by being in lane three you also have the option of going around again if you can't get across, rather like LGV drivers do if they're not sure which exit they need.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Smiling Assassin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:37 pm

fungus wrote:And by being in lane three you also have the option of going around again if you can't get across, rather like LGV drivers do if they're not sure which exit they need.

And on that score, be very careful around LGVs on roundabouts as they may well be lefthand drive, foreign and lost! They may have a great forward view but can see stuff all beside or behind and may well change lanes unexpectedly. I know they're a pain in the backside - I drive one!!!
Phil
Group Observer East Kent Advanced Motorcyclists (EKAM)
Smiling Assassin

Return to Learner Driver Forum