Would someone clear this roundabout up for me?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Pete102 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:28 pm

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hull&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.231595,26.455078&safe=vss&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hull,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.777364,-0.329804&spn=0.001522,0.006459&t=h&z=17

Can someone clear the above roundabout up for me?

Basically if I was approaching from the A1033 it shows a 2 lane approach (left lane to go left, right lane to go straight on & right) once the roundabout is entered it splits into 2 lanes, from the round about set up If I wanted to take the second exit I would enter from the 1033 in the right lane, and immediately take up the 2nd (outer most) lane of the roundabout, then indicated, check its clear and move left into the lane to move into the 2nd exit.

My question is if I am taking the 3rd or 4th exit, I would enter in the right hand lane from the A1033 marked straight on or right, then I am unsure as to what lane I would take up once I am on the roundabout, as the 2nd (outer most) lane does carry on all the way round, would I need a right indicator on? or just stay in the lane.

Also what purpose does the inner most lane serve? would I utilise this lane If I was taking the 4th exit from the A1033?

Should I even be treating this as a roundabout or a series of turn offs?

Thanks

A confused pete.
Pete102

Postby GJD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Pete102 wrote:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hull&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.231595,26.455078&safe=vss&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Hull,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.777364,-0.329804&spn=0.001522,0.006459&t=h&z=17

Can someone clear the above roundabout up for me?

Basically if I was approaching from the A1033 it shows a 2 lane approach (left lane to go left, right lane to go straight on & right) once the roundabout is entered it splits into 2 lanes, from the round about set up If I wanted to take the second exit I would enter from the 1033 in the right lane, and immediately take up the 2nd (outer most) lane of the roundabout, then indicated, check its clear and move left into the lane to move into the 2nd exit.

My question is if I am taking the 3rd or 4th exit, I would enter in the right hand lane from the A1033 marked straight on or right, then I am unsure as to what lane I would take up once I am on the roundabout, as the 2nd (outer most) lane does carry on all the way round, would I need a right indicator on? or just stay in the lane.

Also what purpose does the inner most lane serve? would I utilise this lane If I was taking the 4th exit from the A1033?

Should I even be treating this as a roundabout or a series of turn offs?

Thanks

A confused pete.

Hi Pete

In the absence of any contrary information from road signs or markings, convention would suggest that if you want the 3rd (three quarters of the way round, exit onto Sutton Road) or 4th exit (all the way round, exit onto Holwell road), then approach in the right hand lane on the A1033 and keep to the right on the roundabout until you pass the exit prior to the one you want, then change to the left lane on the roundabout ready to exit.

Certainly that convention matches the road markings you describe on approach on the A1033. Do you have a particular reason (maybe some signs or road markings on the roundabout itself, or the lanes most other drivers around you choose) to feel uncomfortable doing it that way on this roundabout? Looking at the aerial photo, I'm not quite sure what you regard as the inner and outer lanes. There are lane markings dividing the straight sections of the roundabout into apparently two lanes - is that what you mean? The outer part alone looks wide enough for two cars, which is why I'm not sure.

As for signalling right while in the outer lane, that doesn't sound correct on the face of it. A right signal means "I intend to move out to the right or turn right" whereas I think your situation is "I do not intend to take this exit left", which isn't the same thing.
GJD

Postby ROG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:42 am

No problem in approaching in right lane then opting for the left of the two lanes that go all the way around the roundabout - I would do that with a right signal on to inform other users of my intention to keep turning right and not taking an exit - change signal and move left at appropriate time for the exit I want.

I would expect a large vehicle do the above

No problem in using the right of the two lanes either but more difficult to move left as it would invlove 2 lane changes
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby GJD » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:18 am

ROG wrote:No problem in using the right of the two lanes either but more difficult to move left as it would invlove 2 lane changes

I guess you've concluded it's a three lane roundabout. Looks like it ought to be, but from the absence of road markings I wasn't sure. The roundabout looks big enough for there to be plenty of time to carry out two lane changes. If using the right of the two lanes avoids the need to consider a right signal for something other than what the HC says a right signal means ("not left" does not equal "right"), doesn't that make initially taking up the right of the two lanes the preferable option?
GJD

Postby ROG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 am

GJD wrote:I guess you've concluded it's a three lane roundabout.

Not entirely - where it has 3 lanes then lane 1 is for the exit only
2 lanes are constant going around it - the 3rd lane appears as lane 1 for vehicles to exit in.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Big Err » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Nevermind clearing it up, get it redesigned!

:D
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Return to Learner Driver Forum