New Learner - My Online Diary

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 am

Why is she telling you to do it her way rather than your way?

With regard to her telling you to line up x with y ask her to tell you when to stop so that you can find your OWN reference point rather than hers. You and her may be different heights and sit differently in the seat so will need different reference points.

This can be one of the problems with some poorly trained ADI's. They can be far too rigid and insist on things being done their way rather than finding teh best way for the individual pupil!
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby driving2day » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm not sure why. But to be honest she is a excellent instructor so she is only trying to make it easier for me. If we had more time it would be the way, but since I was taught how to do my manouveres completely by another instructor, it is complicated for me.

Trust me on her not being poorly trained. She really teaches to perfection but she did allow me to do some my own way, but the sharp bends she wanted me to learn I guess since it was much quicker her way. I ended up being able to do it last lesson so hopefully I am okay.

Nevertheless, I had my lesson and it did go well but that doesn't mean it was perfect, probably because I was feeling unwell and uncomfortable so couldn't concentrate 100%.

You will probably find a update here tomorrow so if anyone has any tips for the test please do post.
Female - learning to drive
driving2day

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Are you exactly the same size as your instructor? If not then your reference points will be different to hers!

If she isn't giving you reasons why you should do things what's the ncle native to do it her way rather than your own way?

I am sorry, but from what you say she certainly is NOT teaching to perfection! :-(
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby driving2day » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:43 pm

No she is smaller but she did tell me to stop and see where it is but the only thing is I would have described it differently. She would lean over to my side and see where I was coming from and understood. The only one I didn't want to be retaught was the curved corner. The sharp corner I did. And as you said she did stop and tell me to make a mark. So the next lesson I did it better but I think because it was a flatter road it was easier to make a mark.
driving2day

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 am

Now that makes more sense :-)
ExadiNigel

Postby driving2day » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 pm

I passed!!!!!!
driving2day

Postby waremark » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Whey hay! Well done. It means they agree that you are now safe to drive on your own but it does not mean there is nothing more to learn ....

Pass Plus? Perhaps Advanced when you have had a bit of practice on your own?
waremark

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Wooo! :mrgreen: The end of a long, painful and very honestly narrated journey. Well done. Now go and practise, remember you have just passed and there will still be lots to learn, but be proud of your achievement. Remember to always be alert, danger is just around the corner, especially in town.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby dombooth » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Congratulations. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby gannet » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19 pm

congratulations :D

enjoy the journey that is just beginning :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby driving2day » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks everyone. :D

I have the details.

My lesson before the test was tiring. I mean, I was tired and driving like that, like I had no energy. I wasn't feeling positive. I didn't sleep properly but I did get more sleep than before. I also went to sleep during the day yesterday to help, which really did.

We went over all the manouvres and so on. I could tell my instructor was probably thinking I'm not driving as well and I would probably have thought is this girl ready to pass? But of course she is not going to say that to me but I could hear it in her tone during the few mistakes I made lol. It is because I am not feeling too well (not a flu but generally) and it showed in my driving.

She gave me words of advice before the test and was really positive then (when we had parked before the test). She was so positive that I was becoming nervous that I was going to let her down.

We waited in the test centre and for once I was the first person to be called out! Goodness me the man was friendly from the start. We went outside and to the car and so on and as he explained everything I could tell he was really nice.

Guys I have to tell you one thing, this examiner was so friendly. He was calm, he kept reassuring me that if I had any questions then to ask, and he smiled. This helped me so much during my test. I did a turn in the road and a few uphill starts which I have done many times but due to nerves I was revving a bit, which was what my minors were and even then he said to me at the end of the test, I know it was because of nerves so that is fine but remember when you drive to be careful with that. Honestly he was so understanding.

He was talking to me like my dad does, friendly and you know people around him like his company. My roundabouts were 2 nearest to my home, and the 3rd was one in a town centre but it was a good one. All that was part of my independent driving.

I still can't believe how smoothly the test went. It went by so quickly and I enjoyed it. He was so friendly though. Not cracking jokes and so on but talking to me here and there and saying it is fine and to keep asking if I am unsure. It was a massive massive massive difference to my other tests. He even said he has children himself who went through this so he totally gets what I am going through. He also later asked if my heart was okay or pounding. It was completely fine! He enjoyed my question about what lane he'd like me to take (one my instructor comments on often) and he said well done for forward planning and it was a good question! (As he had not told me yet whether we were going left or right at a roundabout after a left turn so thought I'd ask even though I knew he wouldn't take me right)

At one roundabout I suppose I could have failed. I had my left signal on but remembered to cancel it (light was red). But the way my test went, it was meant to be!

I had a lot of peep and creep roads which was fine. Past few lessons I hadn't noticed a car coming at times but today I was on my watch properly. The roads are tight and cars parked all the way so really difficult to tell at times.

At the end of the test he commented on how well I drove. He also told me we shared the same birthday (whilst filling out the form) lol! He then went out of the car and told my instructor how well I drove. My instructor later told me I was the only one that passed in that time (I felt bad for the others).

He was such a nice examiner, I really think he needs a good word put in from him. The whole test was calm and smooth.

I was wondering, is it against the rules to send chocs to the office for the examiner for celebrating a pass?

I will look into advanced lessons. I do want to be more confident and I do have to thank all of you for the advice you have given to me along the way.
driving2day

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Well done.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby martine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Well done - phew - you must be very pleased and relieved.

Enjoy your new-found freedom and keep posting here with your 'independent' driving experiences/questions/issues.

Pass plus might be a sensible thing to do and no point in delaying...go for it.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Brilliant, well done and, as others have said, thankyou for sharing this learning journey with us.
Don't be shy of asking futher questions about driving here, as you get more independent driving done.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby driving2day » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:58 am

I will ask as I continue to learn. :) I still have a lot of things to overcome. I will have to look into pass plus in my area... or I should head back home.

Did I tell you all that the test centre I went to has the lowest past rate in the country? Some people try to put you off with that statistic but I had faith in the test centre. Plus all the people I know passed 1st time with my instructor so the statistic doesn't reflect too much to me. Just need to have a good instructor, and have confidence in yourself, and having a nice examiner really helps. :)
driving2day

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum