New Learner - My Online Diary

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby driving2day » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:04 pm

jameslb101 wrote:To save me reading through 12 long pages, what's the story behind it taking you two years to get to this stage? How many hours of lessons have you had? Do you practise (or have the option to) in your own time?

I started lessons and took about 3 a week so I can pass sooner (also i thought I would learn better) but I then moved and couldn't find a instructor for ages.

When I did find a instructor, she wasted my time and money, so I had to look for another.

That is my current instructor. I should have booked my test at least a month ago but I didn't. I have also had gaps when travelling etc.
Female - learning to drive
driving2day

Postby driving2day » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:06 pm

fungus wrote:
driving2day wrote:I suppose I feel I should have had more mock tests to get those nerves out the way but we'll see what happened today.

I would't beat yourself up about not having had enough mock tests. I personally find them of limited use and very rarely do one, in fact one pupil was laughing so much because I was trying to role play a rather pompous type of examiner, which is not my style, I had to stop the test. To make a mock test realistic, you really need it to be conducted by an other instructor rather than your own.

All the best for your test.

I guess that's true. I did notice though that when I did a mock, I wasn't as good at roundabouts as I thought I was. But hopefully that isn't the case.

I can't believe my test is on Tuesday. :shock:

My driving was good last lesson. I hope silly drivers don't come in my way. I am so prone to them when I am driving and my instructor really thinks the amount I face only happen during my lessons!
driving2day

Postby driving2day » Thu May 30, 2013 12:15 am

Did I not update this when I failed? Not been connected to the net much so totally out of the loop.

Argh, I have totally not prepared this but I guess whatever is meant to happen, happens.

I started my lessons in London. I had done a good 20 hours (and 3 lessons a week) so I could pass sooner before I moved, but I ran out of cash so I stopped. I shouldn't have, but I can't think like that.

I then moved to a different area. Couldn't find a instructor for ages, eventually did and wasted money as she wasn't teaching me.

Then took me time to find another instructor. So, I have had too many gaps. I found this instructor good.

I took a test and failed. I was so ready for this test. I felt like I was such a good driver, confident and careful. My instructor was feeling sad it was the last time I would be with her. No way hosay.

The roads and routes are very different to where I was learning in London. I grew up in London so was way more comfortable there. With the new area, I wasn't stuck in one city/area, it was constantly driving to different areas and this happened in the test too. I never knew where I was.

Anyway I failed towards the last part (not the very end) of the test... or so I thought. When the examiner said I had 3 serious or whatever they're called, I was gobsmacked. I thought it was one only. I had no minors. He said it was a shame as I was a very good driver, block changing gears, clutch control at the end of the road etc. I was so angry and upset as I couldn't believe it when he said 3. I thought it was 1 only. Because he used the brake. What happened was I was at another big roundabout (the test was constantly dual carriageways to the next area and massive roundabouts). I was hesitant to go, but then I kept remembering my instructors tone (she's nice but one kinds sounds sort of patronizing when she used to say 'go! you can go! with a slight question mark exclamation mark at the end in her tone of voice) so I went. Examiner had to slam his breaks as a car approached. I guess it didn't help that it was a 50mph road and was going downhill too and I guess never done a roundabout like that.

But then he said I failed on a traffic light too, which was in the first 20 minutes, so all that time I was working and not realising I had already failed. What happened was I was going uphill a steep hill (these hills, I always complaing about them I am so not used to them even walking). There's traffic lights at the top of the hill so you can't really see the road ahead. Okay the traffic lights were on green so I should anticipate them going red and yes as always when I get there they are changing to red so I stop. So I fail probably because the car behind didn't get enough notice it should have. There's more to it too but no point getting into it as I don't think I was in a dangerous place, I just stopped rather than went, but I couldn't have gone as I wouldn't have reached the other side in time since it was so far away and the cars from the left and right were coming straight away.
Now I get paranoid when I see green lights and think should I slow down because they might turn amber/red. But in my lessons here in London again, they never do. So why does it happen in my test lol.

Goodness what was the 3rd one now. It could have been that I didn't look before changing lanes on a approach to the roundabout. Oh yes I did but it wasn't obvious enough I guess.

So one test failed and yes I did make mistakes but I think I took it really badly. I thought okay I won't let that knock me down so I booked another test for one and a half weeks later and I failed again.

This time what happened was I probably got a hesitation major. This was a total knock on effect from the first test probably because of the roundabout and traffic lights. I was taking much longer to get up to the junctions and so on. Another thing was that this test was different from the first. It was more normal roads rather than dual carriageways.

I also found that in my first test, the examiner was more helpful during the independent driving. I once asked confirmation for which left turn I needed (was it the 5th left?) but rather than saying yes he started counting them for me too as we went past. In the second test, it was a no help situation I guess. Anyway it was a two part independent drive. First part was done. Second part, the end of it was to get to the end of the road and turn right. I always thought they would be very clear with the independent drive instructions. I suppose I thought this one would be more clearer than it was. The end of the road in this case didn't mean a literal end of the road and not even that close to the end of the road. So it was this long gloomy road that continues to bend to the left. I was looking for the end of the road or a turn right option and I didn't find one until I look up whilst going on this long bendy road towards the end and seeing a one way sign to the left. I had obviously missed the last right and I am no sure which sign I should have seen that indicated there would be no right turn after that as the road wasn't wide so it's not like I had to look too far to the left or right, just ahead vision was poor. Anyway so I cancel my signal as I obviously couldn't turn right anymore then notice it is a dual carriageway I have to join. :o So me already being hesitant throughout my test, I am thinking goodness what more could I get? Still, I thought I have already messed up my independent drive but it is okay as I always thought as long as you correct your mistake properly it is okay. So I am looking to the right to make sure I can go because obviously me being so freaked out driving after failing once, I am going to be extra careful. There is a massive gap so I go.

Btw when I had realised I couldn't go right anymore and adjusted to the situation, the examiner said, now you have missed your right so you will have to go left.

Anyway so at the end of the test when he reviews he mentions me missing the right and having to join the dual carriageway. So he says I didn't look before I joined, I just went. Are you kidding me?! Me, the over cautious, who managed to get over roundabouts during normal lessons but would always be cautious when joining a dual carriageway due to high speed vehicles, would really join a dual carriageway without looking?! Well this really upset me as I was pretty obvious I looked right before I joined. I found that both examiners seemed to miss really big head turns when I was the most obvious. I also found them inconsistent with their own selves. E.g. he gives me a major for one thing which wasn't even wrong and yet when he tells me to turn to the right lane during a different part of the test and shouts RIGHT I SAID RIGHT (I think I had misunderstood his accent which is why I didn't go to the right lane on a slip road when he asked me to), and because he was shouting it so loudly I just moved over and I didn't look as he was so loud, but he didn't fail me for that, or even mention it.

So the other major was the same thing happening at the roundabout and me thinking really? I did this again? I was simply too nervous. What happened was I was at a roundabout and to the right a big lorry is coming but looks like they are taking the exit (big roundabout so far away). Then I think my instructor would be like LOOK,LOOK AT THEIR WHEELS, YOU CAN GO CAN'T YOU? So I go, but then the lorry turns a bit and they're in my face. So examiner slams the brakes.And I'm thinking, how stupid am I? Argh.

So I didn't book a test after that as I thought I was throwing money away and failing. Can't afford it either. Instructor says she will book a test in January but in between that it snows and everything. So since then till last month I have had a 6 month break in driving as my instructor didn't get back to me and she said have a go in London.

So I came back and travelling back every week. My first lessons I was doing the hesitating when approaching junctions things but that is gone now. However I had a mock test the other day and want to discuss what my instructor found. I will make a new post for that but as this is my diary thought I would write the above even if no one reads. I did make silly mistakes and it was so stupid, and it has made me nervous but I will get advice from here after my next post I am sure.
driving2day

Postby TripleS » Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 am

Well I'm really sorry that you're having such a difficult time. It sounds to me as if you simply need to do more driving, accompanied by somebody who can help you to become more comfortable with it and gain more confidence in a wider range of situations. That means giving you some bits of guidance as to how best to deal with the awkward bits which we all encounter from time to time.

Try not to worry about it too much. After all, there's IAM Observers here who don't always seem to know how best to deal with things, so you certainly shouldn't feel too discouraged at this stage. :wink:

Anyhow, I hope you will enjoy success before too long.

Best wishes,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu May 30, 2013 11:51 am

Keep your chin up, driving2day. Sometimes it does take a long time to get to test standard. It sounds as if confidence is the major issue, and this may have been one of the reasons your last instructor was spending more time just letting you drive without too much coaching. Practice and familiarity are what build confidence - the feeling that "I know what to do in this situation, I've been here before". Sometimes that just takes time, and repetition. Good luck - I'm sure you'll be successful some day.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby driving2day » Thu May 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Thank you for your replies.

My second test was a total lack of confidence after failing the first time. The first test I was so confident, I felt so happy that I was driving someone else and without my instructor there and everything was going smooth... until the roundabout. But I still kept going and ignored it despite having failed. I didn't let it ruin the rest of my driving. But as soon as I got to the next test it was totally different.

Nevertheless I had a few lessons in London and got back up to scratch. During the week my instructor gave me a mock test. I do prefer driving there because even though I don't know all the roads, a lot of them are familiar.

So first 30 mins we drove normally then my mock test started. Imagine a normal road with houses (not wide) with cars parked either side. You get to the end of the road and cars are parked to almost the very end. You can just about squeeze your car before the line but at a angle. You then have to turn left but you can see that you won't be able to have a comfortable on this uphill end of road because on the road you are joining, cars are once again parked almost to the very end up to where you are. So when you turn left, you have to quickly squeeze yourself into that space but also be able to position yourself so you can see cars driving your way from the main road (there are quite a few cars which take that road). There is not enough space for two of you, only one.

So I basically would have failed right there and then. My turn was too big as I hadn't done this road before so really didn't know how this road would look once I got there. So I had to suddenly stop as a car came right up and I then had to reverse plus it would be reversing down a sort of hilly end of road. SO technically I should have gone really slow with clutch control, really quickly turn left and straighten in a short space (no space to even drive forward) but also position myself so I can see what is coming as otherwise I would end up being in a parked position space and not be able to see anything. That was gutting lol.

We did this road again after the mock test and this time I tried really hard but even though I was massively better, I was still out and I still had to do this awkward but smaller reverse. I said to my instructor, I really tried this time. And she was like yeah, it's one of those roads.
Why do I still think I'd get failed over it though? Even though my instructor is quite strict and admitted it was difficult this road.

I guess I also did another wide turn on another road too because I jumped too fast without thinking - nerves. My instructor did say at the end of the test that I was driving a little different today (jumpy?) and she said I was trying too hard. She said I wasn't driving like I normally do which would pass me.
I totally agreed with her conclusion as the trying too hard is what failed me twice (at roundabouts thinking my instructor would have said go, so I went to show I am not hesitant). But also, that night I hardly had any sleep, just like my real tests. I kept thinking about roundabouts and other things no matter how much I tried to sleep. This lack of sleep is what makes things in your body jump rather than be calm. I think this massively contributes to my lack of control in some situations.

In the mock test I was at a roundabout. Had to take the 3rd exit at 10 o'clock so I was in the left lane. It was raining heavily and I had the wipers on, all very noisy. To get into the left lane I had to pass a bus lane which you can't drive in, so had indicated left. My instructor asked me if I was sure where I was going. I said yes. Later on she told me I had my left signal on which of course was incorrect as I wasn't taking the first exit. The only reason it was on was because of switching lanes and it not coming off itself, and me not checking. I guess if it wasn't so noisy I would have heard the click sound repeatedly, but it was a good lesson to learnt, check check check.

I also am good with clutch control at the end of the road etc. But I kept putting my handbrake on if it was slightly uphill at the end of the road (I felt we did more uphill during the mock test). My instructor told me I never do this normally but I told her it was fear of rolling back in the test and failing for it. I could do it fine after the mock test but I feel the nerves kick in even if it is a mock test.

Also on the dual carriageway I wasn't going to 5th. With my previous instructor I used to go from 3rd to 5th which the first examiner liked. But with this instructor she likes when I go one gear at a time (I preferred the block changes). The reason why I prefer 3rd to 5th is I know I am going straight to 5th whereas with this car I do end up going 4th to 3rd again. Silly mistake but I guess I don't take it to the right enough. So since my instructor tells me not to do 3rd to 5th in normal lessons, I don't do it.

Anyway, the point is, she said I am driving different for a 'test' situation. She also said I am trying too hard. And I was a bit shakey, which is down to lack of sleep, so when turning left, it ends up wide because I probably hit the gas too much. All this doesn't happen on a normal lesson.

I do need to breathe in and just think, get on with it, drive normally, but I overthink things and get worried. I can drive, I drive normally but when it comes to a test I seem to try too hard. I am not sure how to try less lol.

Diary for the test over.
driving2day

Postby fungus » Thu May 30, 2013 8:56 pm

The advice given by Dave about driving in as many situations as possible is good advice and should help build confidence.

The situation you describe at the end of the road where cars are parked up to the junction requires very tight clutch control and good observation. Lean forward, keep your head moving, try to look through the windows of the parked cars if possible, and look for moving reflections on parked vehicles or windows.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 am

fungus wrote:The advice given by Dave about driving in as many situations as possible is good advice and should help build confidence.

The situation you describe at the end of the road where cars are parked up to the junction requires very tight clutch control and good observation. Lean forward, keep your head moving, try to look through the windows of the parked cars if possible, and look for moving reflections on parked vehicles or windows.

And have a window open and listen for other road users as well as looking.
waremark

Postby driving2day » Fri May 31, 2013 10:48 am

Thank you everyone.

It was pouring that day so I was reluctant to open the window, lol. I can do clutch control well, I just jerk when it's a test. I can't sleep when I am going to have a test so I am going to sleep during the day before the test as I know it won't be possible in the night. Hopefully that will help me.

I really do want to pass as my theory is expiring soon but my instructor told me not to think about it so I won't. If only, if only examiners could sit during normal lessons lol. With a hidden camera rather than them actually sitting there.
driving2day

Postby driving2day » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 pm

I need your help.

Most of my lessons have been away from where I am taking my test so I don't have much practise on the roundabouts and even certain roads.

There is a big roundabout with many lanes. I approach from one side with lane to the very left but it is sectioned apart from the other lanes with say, a pavement in between (narrow) so if you want to turn left you have to do it when you're approaching the roundabout early on (but we won't be asked to turn left there). So I needed to take the 3rd exit or something like that, which was basically after 12 o'clock and before 3 o'clock (closer to 12).

So ignore the sectioned lane for left only. Now there are about 3 or maybe 4 lanes on the approach to the roundabout. My instructor told me I need to approach in the very left lane. I was surprised as I wasn't going straight but more towards the right. Then once on the roundabout, she told me not to take the very lane lane but the 2nd to left to get to my exit, which led me there nicely.

Now if I was on my test I wouldn't have thought of taking the very left lane as I would have thought it was for the other exits beforehand. I would have probably taken the 2nd lane on the approach as I think it was labelled the same. I'm not sure how I could be prepared for this on the test. Is this more local knowledge? It's roundabouts like these which kept me up last week.

Another thing is we were on a straight road and there were traffic lights And on the left was a lane for left only, the other was for ahead. Now the arrows showing this are painted on the ground but only where the first car waiting at the traffic lights is. So if there are cars there, like today, I wouldn't have known to stay in the right lane to go ahead as my instructor told me. Do examiners be more helpful in situations like this? It's not a road I normally go on either.

At the beginning of my lesson (I have had over a weeks break), my instructor told me good news. She said she has a student who I drive to the same level, and they passed yesterday. At the end of the lesson, my instructor said to me, you know what I told you at the beginning of the lesson about the student who is at the same standard as you... and I was thinking she was going to say, actually you don't drive as good. Instead she said, you drive a lot better than him. My instructor is not one to give compliments easily either (she is a very good instructor and wants makes us drive advanced rather than standard I guess). I was pleased with this and she said I need to not try too hard on my test and drive as I do normally but I am worried about things like a couple of roundabouts and roads as mentioned above.
driving2day

Postby fungus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Hello driving2day. Let me deal with the traffic lights and taking the correct lane first.

The advice given in the DSAs Driving the Essential Skills is when going ahead use the left hand lane unless lane markings dictate otherwise. This is normal practice, and would be the advice given by most instructors if you had a choice of using both left and right hand lanes, unless you had been given a specific instruction, for example to go ahead at the lights and then turn right at the roundabout just after the lights and the right hand lane takes you directly into the lane for your manoeuvre at the roundabout. In your example the ahead lane at the lights is the right hand lane. It is my understanding from a conversation with a manager from the DSAs head office in Nottingham, that an examiner is obliged to guide you into the correct lane if the lane markings are obscured by queueing vehicles, or the road markings are obscured. Indeed it is my experience that examiners generally do if the ahead lane is not the left lane. However, it is also my understanding that they are not under any obligation to do so if you can see the road markings.

Would it be possible to post a photo of the roundabout in question from Google maps or the like, as it is difficult from a written description to give specific advice. I am a bit confused by your instructors advice to approach in the second lane which it seems takes you to exit 2, but then go into lane 2 on the roundabout to take exit 3 which you say is past 12 o clock.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby driving2day » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:30 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. The traffic light one wasn't a roundabout but a normal road. But I did think a examiner would tell me to stay in the right lane as there were no signs etc. around until a road marking right by the traffic light which I didn't see until the cars moved.

The roundabout, I am not eve sure which one it is. I've spent an hour trying to find it but no use. :O There aren't the extra lanes I thought there were or maybe I'm looking at the wrong roundabout. Must look again tomorrow.
driving2day

Postby driving2day » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Argh. Sometimes a lesson goes so well and sometimes it just tires you out. One lesson went perfectly. Then yesterday we did reverse round the bend. My instructor is great but I really do feel we left this so late. We spent the entire hour doing this and I felt I didn't achieve much. First we did curved bends. I asked if I could do it my way, and even though it took a little longer in her car, I did it fine. But she asked me to do it her way but with her way if you miss a tiny bit it throws it all out so when my test is very very extremely near I didn't feel okay to be focusing on something I will not be getting more practice on as so many cars kept coming so I barely got to practice anyway. At least it made me know that I am okay with doing it my way.

Then we did sharp turns and I don't feel like I know how to do it. I used to use the blind spot mirror to help me in my other instructors car which I probably shouldn't have relied on but that's the way she taught me and it made it so much easier. So in this car my instructor is telling me the back seat should be level with the other curb. But so many times it looked level but it was never close to what she thought was level and she saw my point but really I have no idea what to do on my test if I get that (does anyone have a good youtube link as that's what I used to figure parallel parking in her car).

I have a 2 hour lesson tomorrow and then bam you know whats next. I can't let last lesson get to me as after all it was only a manouvre and nothing more, I can still drive. But for some reason I couldn't sleep the night before thinking, and maybe that dips my concentration level. I can drive, I am able to pass, I just need to focus and not worry.
driving2day

Postby fungus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Does your current instructors car have a blind spot mirror? If so, do not rely on it but use it when checking around to assess where the rear wheel is. Remember the advice in Driving the Essential Skills is that although you should look mainly over your left shoulder you should keep a good look out for other road users through out the manoeuvre, which means doing 360 degree scans which involve using your mirrors as well. Whilst you are doing this, check the blind spot mirror to assess the position of the rear wheel in relation to the kerb. With modern cars there is much less glass area than there was in cars 30 or 40 years ago. This, and the wide pillars make vision restricted when reversing.

I advise my pupils to keep checking around, which will usually involve three checks whilst turning, one at point of turn, one about one third to half way around, and another at the end of the corner. These checks are usually sufficient for the pupil to maintain a reasonable position. If there are blind driveways or blind areas these checks must be increased.

Unfortunately with the DSA test you will also be expected to reverse for anything from two to four or five car lengths into the road depending on the examiner. Some will stop you when you have barely got around the corner. Others expect you to go back four or five car lengths. We had one like that down here in Bournemouth a few years ago :roll: . Even if there was a parked car on the opposite side of the road he would expect you to reverse past it if it was within four or five car lengths, whereas others would stop you short of the parked car.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby driving2day » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:44 am

My current instructor has no blind spot mirror. My other one did which really helped me. I used it for reference and it allowed me to know where I was and when to turn. I don't have this on the current car which is much older than my other instructor's car.
driving2day

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum