New Learner - My Online Diary

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi,

You seem to have vanished from our radar, problems?

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:40 pm

A very interesting thread d2d. You seem to be doing just fine, to me.

One thing I've been struck by all along is your instructor's tendency to help with the physical control of the car (steering, brakes, etc.). Thinking back to when I learnt, I don't actually remember my instructor ever using his dual controls, and the only time anyone put a hand on the wheel was the examiner during my first test (because he thought I had not seen some roadworks and was about to drive down a hole in the road - I maintain to this day that I had, and I wasn't!). I can't help thinking that if the instructor keeps carrying out these tasks for you, it will take you longer to learn the correct amount of input to those controls. Did it strike anyone else that way?

However, you seem to be past that stage now. Well done!
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby driving2day » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 pm

It's been awhile since my last driving lesson which went well. I was driving like I had learnt for many hours and my instructor said that the following lesson I would do dual carriageways properly to go with the flow of my driving.

However, that lesson has not happened yet.

I have had 20 lessons so far and I felt maybe it was time to take a break and analyse whether I should stay with the same instructor or not. I have also been busy with exams but I miss taking lessons.

I was feeling overwhelmed about the theory test but I need to get a hardcopy of the highway code and learn from there as people say it would be better in a way since it has everything you would be tested on in it. I hope to return to driving lessons soon but in a way I feel confident that I will drive well despite the break, because I feel I have learnt the controls of the car and that's exactly what I wanted to accomplish. Now things like dual carriageways, roundabouts and everything else is about practise.
Female - learning to drive
driving2day

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi, nice to have you back.

Dont fret to much over the theory test, most of the questions have common sense answers, look at the question and discount the obvious wrong one (there will be one) then analyse the remaining ones, it will soon become second nature for you to pick the correct answer.

Like driving, practise, practise, repeat, repeat, its the only way to go.

Good luck

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby ROG » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:18 pm

I always think that the one of the best ways to learn the theory is to have a full licence holder ask you questions on it as they might know ways to prompt you if you do not know the right answers
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:43 pm

ROG wrote:I always think that the one of the best ways to learn the theory is to have a full licence holder ask you questions on it as they might know ways to prompt you if you do not know the right answers

There's just one problem with that, most full licence holder's know less than the average learner!
daz6215

Postby TripleS » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:50 pm

daz6215 wrote:
ROG wrote:I always think that the one of the best ways to learn the theory is to have a full licence holder ask you questions on it as they might know ways to prompt you if you do not know the right answers

There's just one problem with that, most full licence holder's know less than the average learner!

I have grounds for suspecting you're right about that. :oops:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 pm

TripleS wrote:
daz6215 wrote:

I have grounds for suspecting you're right about that. :oops:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Deffinately.

Before CD roms were produced for theory and hazard perception, I advised pupils to read the Highway Code, Know your Traffic Signs, and Driving the Essential Skills to study for their theory. The three books should cover almost everthing that's in the theory test. I was never a fan of the DSAs theory test book, as it had questions on the left hand page, and the answers on the opposite right hand page. :roll: I do think that most learners find theory boring though.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ROG » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Ask an advanced driver to ask the questions :idea:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:13 pm

ROG wrote:Ask an advanced driver to ask the questions :idea:

Careful they might give conflicting advice! :wink:
daz6215

Postby ROG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:24 pm

daz6215 wrote:

Doubtful if asking a learner those questions as they would not wish to confuse them
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:24 pm

ROG wrote:
daz6215 wrote:

Doubtful if asking a learner those questions as they would not wish to confuse them

I didn't know the IAM test included a theory test on the highway code and current legislation :shock:
daz6215

Postby ROG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:51 pm

daz6215 wrote:I didn't know the IAM test included a theory test on the highway code and current legislation :shock:

It doesn't, but all advanced drivers should know the basics of those - if not, then they should do !!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby drivingschoolnewbury » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi.
The frustration you feel is nothing new. Some pupils take to driving like a fish to water. Unfortunately not everyone is like that. I say to pupils on the first lesson;
"There are 3 attributes you need if you want to progress quickly:
Natural ability
Confidence
Keeness to learn"
The first 2 are something that you are born with. Not everyone has these. However Keeness to learn I believe is the most important factor and that you can change. Some pupils with great natural ability and confidence can sometimes be the hardest to teach. The reason being they sometimes feel they know it all and don't bother to learn the things your teaching them. However if you're keen, which by the sounds of it you are, then that hard work will make up for lack of natural ability and confidence. You will slowly but surely learn how hard to press each pedal and when to press them.

Driving with a member of the family could be a good thing. Best to do that when your instructor thinks your ready for that. Remember your parents dont have dual controls. All those extra hours will build up your ability and your confidence.

I have to say I admire the fact that you wanted to pay for your own lessons. Shows a great maturity and responsibility.

As for intensive courses I believe that your instructor is right. Only the very naturally gifted should do them. From what I have heard the pass rates are very low. I believe the ones who pass are the ones with all 3 attributes. However semi intensive which I think you are doing I'm sure will be fine.

Finally as you said, being a safe driver is always the primary concern not passing a test.

I hope that helps :)
drivingschoolnewbury

Postby driving2day » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:26 am

I've had a longer than needed break (due to moving) and need to get back into driving.

I still feel as confident as before (even though I haven't been in the drivers seat) and feel I will be able to continue driving as I did after a few minutes of driving.

However, my main problem is the theory test. I want to pass it first time and not make silly mistakes. I have the instructors version of the theory test questions and answers, I also have the hazard perception CD, both of which are a few years old but seem up to date. The problem is I feel too lazy to go through all those questions considering the book is pretty thick.

I don't know whether I would find it easier to read the highway code from beginning to end and pass rather going through so many questions.

I really feel I need to pass my theory or at least know my stuff before I carry on lessons because otherwise I'd be ready for my driving test before having passed my theory test.

Any advice?
Female - learning to drive
driving2day

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum