New Learner - My Online Diary

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby driving2day » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Thank you all for your comments. Not cutting down your posts in my quotes because they're not interestting, but only doing it to shorten the space it takes in the post.

TripleS wrote:Is it possible that you are being exposed to potentially difficult traffic situations a little too early? We can't tell from here, but while both you and your instructor will want to advance the learning processes as quickly as can be done safely, any scares you may have along the way could set you back a bit in confidence terms, so it's a matter of finding the right balance.

I'm actually not sure because I've driven home twice now and perhaps because it was a Saturday it was like that, but I think the main thing that scared me was a) collding with the police car because we kept on driving instead of stopping but then b) the car to the right of us which I thought we were drving towards rather than away. I did think you stop on the left normally but it was all a muddle at the time. I wouldn't have minded dealing with the stuation myself but maybe I wouldn't have been fast enough.

I'm going to try and reconstruct the incident. I'm not sure if this will work.

We joined the roundabout from here. Since I join from there, I don't really have to go round the roundabout apart from a small portion of it, but the instructor has so far kept one hand on the wheel.

About this point I could see the polce car. What I mean is, you know where the bus is right ahead (not the one on the left side of the screen), then there's another car behind it then no cars behind that car for a bit, well it was a little behind that car. The police car at the time had cars behind it and cars in front and I could see the lights flashing and hear the sirens.

There weren't really cars behind us, or if they were they weren't driving as fast as we had slowed down, but I stillt hought we would stop here in case the police car got way and moved forward onto the roundabout. It seemed safe to because none of the cars which join the roundabout from the left (where you can see the bus more clearly) were moving forward. However, we carried on driving.

We got about here but there were no buses there and t was clear, although there was a little car a bt to the right of us and a little infront. It seemed as if we were driving into the car rather than away, and stopping at the left. Eventually that car had moved (which seemed like forever) and the police car had space to go (it was right behind us I think).

fungus wrote:You are correct Gareth, it is an extremely usefull exercise, and one I use myself.

Instructors should plan routes to suit the pupils ability. However, it does occasionally go wrong, and the instructor then has to use plenty of talk through and reassurance. One thing that does cause problems is when using the left hand lane at a two lane approach roundabout. Drivers using the right hand lane often go beyond the give way line blocking the veiw to the right for those in the left hand lane. This can result in drivers behind getting impatient. This puts pressure on some learners, even those at test standard.

I think from the place we go to drive the car, this route is the main route home. Otherwise it would take a long time to get home. I guess next lesson I will ask her about it and mention about stopping on the left nstead of being in a somewhat confused and scary situation.

crr003 wrote:Sorry you had a scare! Lots of experienced drivers also react to the approach of emergency vehicles.
Did the police car have its blue lights/sirens on?

I can imagine. Yes, the police car did have the blue lghts and sirens on. I only wonder why we didn't stop on the left soon enough.

As you all mentioned, it is a lesson to learn from, but it was the confusion about not really stopping on the left and feeling like the wrong actons were being taken that left me uneasy. As always, the instructor knew what she was doing and I was probably scaring myself.
Female - learning to drive
driving2day

Postby ROG » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 pm

From what I saw on the links and they way you described the senario. I would have said that stopping before entering the roundabout for a few seconds would have been my decision
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby driving2day » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Yesterday I had my lesson early. Wasn't really prepared for it as I thought it was 45 minutes later but it was written wrong on the card.

I don't think I drove too well. We stayed on the main roads quite a bit and went a different way during the lesson, and I was freaking out at how fast we were going with the bigger cars around.

I also reversed round a sharp bend again, first time with help, second time alone. Went quite well. I also learnt about meeting cars safely.

Today I also had a lesson. I have a record of stalling when I turn left (once per lesson) because I bring the clutch up too quickly (I think).

Anyway, we did the second manouver. I can't remember what she named it but she said it is also known as 3 point turn but you don't have to do t in 3. First, she showed me how to do it and I watched her. Then it was my turn. There were many cars about today throughout the whole lesson so I had to keep waiting for them to go!

The first time I tried the manouver, upon reversing I hit the kerb lol. The second time was much better. My nstructor mentoned my clutch control was great then.

On the way home we went on the famous green man roundabout. It seemed okay but the instructor had her hand on the wheel so it's not like I was in control anyway.

She did say to me at the end of the lesson that my clutch controld uring manouvers is excellentbut when I feel stressed I kind of forget, such as when turning corners. I'm not sure why this keeps happening but it's probably because I can't estimate how much I should rest on it or not.

Also, went up to 40mph today, as well as driving from the beginning of the lesson. I don't like this clutch business today! It was wierd because after I did the manouver, I was handling the clutch when on normal drving, but then it wore off after a bit.
driving2day

Postby Gareth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 pm

driving2day wrote:I have a record of stalling when I turn left (once per lesson) because I bring the clutch up too quickly (I think).

That's interesting - it means you are going around the corner with the clutch down, which possibly implies you have too high a gear selected before you start to go around the corner.

driving2day wrote:I feel stressed I kind of forget [...] I'm not sure why this keeps happening

Don't forget that, in some ways, driving is really difficult! You are having to maintain exam concentration while attempting to co-ordinate limb movement in a completely unfamiliar fashion. Fortunately you should improve rapidly with practice -- most people do -- so try not to get too hung up about particular incidents. Rather, you focus on the overall progress you are making and take heart from that.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby daz6215 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Gareth wrote:
driving2day wrote:I have a record of stalling when I turn left (once per lesson) because I bring the clutch up too quickly (I think).

That's interesting - it means you are going around the corner with the clutch down, which possibly implies you have too high a gear selected before you start to go around the corner.

driving2day wrote:I feel stressed I kind of forget [...] I'm not sure why this keeps happening

Your not Dispraxic are you?
daz6215

Postby driving2day » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Gareth wrote:That's interesting - it means you are going around the corner with the clutch down, which possibly implies you have too high a gear selected before you start to go around the corner.

Don't forget that, in some ways, driving is really difficult! You are having to maintain exam concentration while attempting to co-ordinate limb movement in a completely unfamiliar fashion. Fortunately you should improve rapidly with practice -- most people do -- so try not to get too hung up about particular incidents. Rather, you focus on the overall progress you are making and take heart from that.

I'm not sure. What happens is I put my foot a bit on the break, then fully down on th clutch and either go to 2nd gear when I'm still moving or 1st gear if I'm stopping, which happens mostly, then press more on the break.

But I can also tell my instructor is pressing harder on the break.

I take words quite literally when learning so when she says gently on the break then I do that - but obviously I need to be more than gentle and press more as she does that herself. This probably confuses me which leads to the rest not coordinating properly.

She did ask me after I did the manouver as to what I do when turning corners, which is when I repled about mirrors, signal, slow down and position then change gear and she said to me for some reason I don't keep that in mind even though it's routine and I do the same thing when I am turning right etc.

daz6215 wrote:Your not Dispraxic are you?

I hope not! But I had to google that to know what it was. I think it is lack of sleep (I can't sleep well lately which is what hits my concentration) but also, I don't know if it is noticing someone else pressing on the break more that distracts me. Argh! I wish I could practise in a family car but I can't since I'm not insured.
driving2day

Postby fungus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm

If you are stalling when turning left, I would suggest braking a little earlier, giving yourself time to change to the correct gear and fully release the clutch before the point of turn. It is important that the clutch is fully released before you reach the point of turn to maintain full control of the car.

If your instructor hasn't explained the function of the clutch, I will try to in simple terms.

Put simply, the clutch is the connection between the engine and the road wheels. When you press the clutch down you break the connection. This allows you to engage a gear. As you bring the clutch smoothly up you will reach the biting point, (you know this because you will hear the engine note alter, and on some cars (front wheel drive) you will feel the car try to move forward and, if the hand brake is not released, the rear of the car will go down. At this point you release the clutch very gently, releasing the hand brake at the same time. As you bring the clutch up further the car moves a little faster as the clutch becomes fully engaged. The car will only move very slowly unless you press the gas pedal, but if the clutch is fully up it will be driving the car. When you did your manoeuvre, (a turn in the road your instructor probably called it,) you used the clutch to control the speed of the car by bringing the clutch up to bite, and then easing the pedal up about the thickness of a pound coin to make the car move, or squeezing it down about the same, to slow the car if it wasn't going down hill. Hopefully you find this easy enough to understand, (it's much easier with a diagram).

Now we can see that the clutch drives the car it will be easier to understand why it is important that the clutch is fully engaged, (pedal fully up), before you turn into a junction or corner.

Imagine the road goes up hill as you turn into the junction. If the clutch is down, you have no drive and the car will slow. If the road goes down hill, the car will pick up speed. It is important to be in the correct gear with the clutch fully up so that you can use some gas to maintain the safe speed for the turn on the flat or up hill, or no gas, allowing the engine to control the speed of the car, (called engine braking) down hill. If you have too high a gear engaged, the car will go too fast, or the engine will stall if the speed is too low for the gear.

I hope this rather long winded explanation helps you understand what the clutch does, and why it is important to bring it fully up before turning into a junction.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ROG » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Better to brake more firmly than required to start with - by firmly, I do not mean harshly

If doing that means that you have braked too much - so what - better than not enough

You will soon gain more confidence so that the depth of braking and timing of the braking improves

Discuss with your instructor the possibility of trying this even if it means slowing down too much and too early in the early stages of training

doing it safely to start with is more important than progress - progress comes last
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby driving2day » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

I must admit, it mostly happens after I have pressed the break, because when I start driving at the beginning or setting off, that doesn't happen.

For example, if I have to stop at a traffic light then move off, I seem to struggle and not go off in time.

I wll probably break more firmly and see if that helps. I remember the AA instructor saying about changing gears quickly, whch helped me, but perhaps the lack of sleep makes me forget too easily. I have a lesson tomorrow although very early. Will keep in mind all your descriptions.
driving2day

Postby martine » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:36 pm

driving2day wrote:I wll probably break more firmly...

PS the word is 'brake'. :wink:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby driving2day » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:13 pm

martine wrote:

I can't believe I spelt that wrong.

:o

Lack of concentration, I used to be such a good speller at school.
driving2day

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:01 am

driving2day wrote:
martine wrote:

I can't believe I spelt that wrong.

:o

Lack of concentration, I used to be such a good speller at school.

Don't worry, I see that word spelt wrongly on many motoring forums, supposedly full of enthusiasts.
I'm impressed by your enthusiasm and desire to learn.
Just relax and consider that many much less concerned than you have passed their L test.
You will succeed in mastering the basics that are the L test and then, I hope, go on to acheiving a higher level.
Constant thinking is the way.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby driving2day » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:03 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Don't worry, I see that word spelt wrongly on many motoring forums, supposedly full of enthusiasts.
I'm impressed by your enthusiasm and desire to learn.
Just relax and consider that many much less concerned than you have passed their L test.
You will succeed in mastering the basics that are the L test and then, I hope, go on to acheiving a higher level.
Constant thinking is the way.

Thank you for your encouraging post. I am looking forward to my lesson tomorrow so I can apply my rethought method (by the explanations given on this forum) but then 'm not looking forward to it being 8:45 in the morning! Hopefully not many cars around tomorrow. Update tomorrow hopefully.
driving2day

Postby driving2day » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:18 pm

I had another lesson today.

This time we didn't go up to Wanstead, stayed in my area and there was a reason for that - learning about pedestrian crossings.

There are loads in my area so it was good practise, and had a lot of experience of it today.

I started driving down my road and when I nearly got to the end I stalled - must have brought the clutch up too quickly! Lol but it only happened then and not throughout the lesson.

Got to the bottom of the road and turned left - soon after is a zebra crossing. There was a lady on the left who seemed like she was going to cross but she didn't, but then all of a sudden a man from the right started to cross (he didn't cross from the zebra crossing but cut his way though) which led to a sudden break - first lesson learnt.

Carried on driving, turned left onto another main road and then left to a smaller road. I was told to park on the left which I did. I thought I put the gear on nuetral when stopped but I accidentally slipped it to 3rd gear so the car gerked!

My instructor then started teaching me about the 4 types of crossings including toucan, pelican and puffin.

We started driving agan, turned left onto a wide road where there are many zebra crossings because of the schools around and I was told to check mirrors on the approach of these crossings. We carried on driving and then I could see this man and lady walking on the left so I slowed down, but their backs were to us and they were away from the edge of the pavement and we bouth thought they wouldn't cross. I then picked up speed a little and the man put his foot onto the crossing! No sign nothing. He didn't even look bad to see if there was a car there. Very odd in my opinion as I know some people don't stop at crossings so that would have been risky. Anyway my instructor broke as it was very sudden but I learnt another lesson, not to pick up speed even a tiny bt because of people not giving any notice really.

Then carried on drving and as I mentioned, we kept going past zebra crossings so I'd check mirrors, look to see if anyone was around and if there were I would dlow down, then carry on driving.

Eventually got to the bottom of the road where we turned left onto another main road and after that would see normal pedestrian crossings at the traffc lights. Sometimes I would stop, sometimes it was green so I carried on if no one was around.

Now I did mention I had a problem when stopping at traffic lights and driving off again. I guess I was better today after taking your advice but I still need a lot more practise. I didn't lift the clutch too much but the instructor would say press on the gas more and then I would hear that sound from the car which to me seems like I have pressed on the gas too much, but I also had to remember at the same time to ease of the clutch a bit so I am actually moving - I noticed if I ease of too much the car would stall so I didn't get off completely until I had gone forward a few car lengths.

A lot of bendy roads, a lot of pedestrian crossings, a lot to remember when driving. I did say to my instructor the clutch has been my enemy since the start, lol, but she said to me they have ways to get us to be able to use it well.

Hopefully next lesson if I still keep in mind what you have all written here as well as my instructor's advice, I should get better with the clutch. All in time I guess.
driving2day

Postby ROG » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:44 pm

Many things such as guessing who is going to do what at pedestrian crossings or who is likely to do what at roundabouts can be done very cheaply by taking a walk to your nearest as a pedestrian and observing for a while
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum