New Learner - My Online Diary

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:14 am

Hi and good luck with your driving.

There is no such thing as "being behind" with your learning, your instructor will know when you are ready to move on (another area/more difficult roads etc) learn to walk first, that way you dont fall over as much later on.

And remember, familiarity and repetition will build your confidence, sounds to me you are doing ok, keep it up and anything your not sure of, ask away

Enjoy :D
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby driving2day » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Had another lesson today. Went to the normal place for learning.

Drove up to 4th gear and the new thngs learnt were bend assessment and parallel parking.

Didn't get to practise parallel parking (only did it once and that with the instructor's instructions) but she told me my clutch control was much better today.

A few times when I would stop at the end of the road, I went too forward (broke too late probably) but soon got the hang of that again as I was trying to assess when I should break on different types of roads e.g. downhill, flat roads etc.

My instructor said I'm not doing too bad, so I said, does that mean I am doing a little bad? She said, not really, rome wasn't made in nine days, lol.

At the beginning of the lesson I was scared of drving so fast and I was actually not really looking that forward to driving but by the end of the lesson I was happy and felt much better.
Female - learning to drive
driving2day

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:02 am

All sounds good so far, but make sure your instructor knows if you are unhappy about speed etc, that way he/she can take you "back a bit" and improve your confidence before progressing to more things, personally I felt as if you were put under a little pressure with parralel parking while you have yet to master full clutch control, comes back to what I said earlier walk first, but that is down to your instructor of course but just be bullied.

Position at junctios etc comes with practise so dont worry to much, if it gets dangerous your instructor could bring the car to a halt for you in the correct position.

Keep it up, making interesting reading so far :D
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby driving2day » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:40 pm

I think I will cut down how many lessons I have per week to see if it makes a difference to my driving.

This week I had 4 lessons (or should I say last week?).

So for an update:

Thursday - we went to the area where you normally go when you start to learn how to drive. A lot of turning, a lot of inside roads, mostly wide, a lot of uphill and downhill roads as well as bends.

My instructor demonstrated to me how to use clutch control when on a flat road before turning left or right at the end of the road. Breaking and quickly switching to first gear whilst looking right. I then had a turn but now sure how much I picked it up. I felt drving to be a little tiresome.

Friday - She decided I should do traffic lights since I don't get along with them, so we stayed in my area where there are many traffic lights. I remember there was an uphill one and I probably pressed the gas too much so could hear that vrumm sound because I was scared of stalling and going back. She ended up having to help me on that particular traffc light. I'm not sure if I panick or what because it's not like I feel that way but it's probably the pressure of moving off in time when the lights go green. Either way, I'm not sure how good my lesson was then as I end up feeling exhausted during the lesson.

Saturday - We started off in my area then drove up to the other area where I would learn more traffic lights, more bends etc. I sometimes get scared to driving over 30mph because I think I will not be able to control the car.

My instructor said I turn too late when I am turning left because I end up being too wide out once I am on the following road. So once I decided to turn a little earlier and I ended up going towards the kerb (although I didn't think that at first) so she helped me to reverse (put her hand on the wheel instead of me doing it). I did find this a little wierd because I thought if I make a mistake, I should be able to correct it (I know how to reverse and use clutch control with reversing) but I wasn't given that opportunity but I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Over the days I carried on with my 3 manouveres and practised parallel parking as that's the newest I have learnt. Tried once myself and I was okay until I hit the kerb towards the end. But I was able to correct that with the instructor's help.

She has finally mentioned to book my theory test as she said it takes a month to get through and another month to get the driving test. I'm not sure if that indicates anything to do with me being ready to pass within that time (at the moment I doubt it).

She mentioned I've been on the two biggest roundabouts in either my area or London (Green Man roundabout and another one) but that was with her help of course. So next week I will do roundabouts so I get another scare (like traffic lights which I do not get along with at the moment). I've only booked two lessons for next week and spaced them apart.
driving2day

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:33 pm

Hello again.

Heres an idea which some on here may agree with or not.

As you seem to get a little scared at times, which by the way is not a fault and you will get over it

How about going for a drive with a (good)experienced driver (as a passenger) get him/her to drive the same routes you use on the lessons and have them talk you through each junction etc as they go, watch how/when they change gear/brake/turn etc..it might just help it sink in a little, you may be suprised how much you learn.

If you are in London my daughter might even consider helping you as part of her training.

Just an idea

Ivor
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby driving2day » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. It does seem like a good idea. I think my main problem is that I get scared because of all the cars about and then I don't do things in time so yes, I should probably ask someone I know to explain what they're doing.
driving2day

Postby Gareth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:32 pm

driving2day wrote:I get scared because of all the cars about and then I don't do things in time

Fear comes from feeling under too much pressure, and not being justifiably confident to deal with the situation. While you are learning, your instructor is there to regulate the amount of pressure you're under, stepping in if the situation gets too tricky for your current level of experience. They will be aiming to keep you under a certain amount of pressure because most people learn quicker that way.

When you've passed your test the main trick to reduce pressure is to slow down to give yourself more space and time to assess hazardous situations on the approach. That shouldn't mean you go slowly all the time, just that when situations get tricky you don't rush headlong into something you don't fully understand. On the other hand, rushing headlong out of a tricky situation tends to be good.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby martine » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Gareth wrote:...On the other hand, rushing headlong out of a tricky situation tends to be good.

Interesting comment Gareth...would you like to expand?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:29 pm

martine wrote:
Gareth wrote:...On the other hand, rushing headlong out of a tricky situation tends to be good.

Interesting comment Gareth...would you like to expand?

Yes, interesting comment indeed. I can definitely see a basis for it, so I'm just wondering how my reasoning might compare with what Gareth has in mind.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:45 pm

driving2day wrote:
I think my main problem is that I get scared because of all the cars about.

You have to remember that in theory the only cars that should concern you or are a potential danger to you are the ones closest to you, ie in front/behind/left/right, try concentrating on those first then expand to the one in front of the one in front of you and so on.

Until you are more confident let your instructor be your eyes for the distant objects/vehicles, it is after all part of his job to try to keep you safe, confidence will come as you relax more

Ivor
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby fungus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm

If you are coming out too wide when turning, you are probably not looking far enough into the road that you are entering. Another common cause is going too fast into the corner.

Although there comes a time where you have to go beyond your comfort zone, if you are having issues with controlling the gas/clutch etc. it might be as well to ask your instructor if you can just go back a stage and practice in quieter roads to gain more confidence. Then if things go well, progress into more difficult roads. This can often be achieved in the space of a lesson.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:30 pm

fungus wrote:
it might be as well to ask your instructor if you can just go back a stage .

Hey, that was my line!! :D
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby driving2day » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:10 pm

I agree with all of your comments! Less panicking - more concentration means better driving.

I had a lesson today, later on in the day at 12:30 nstead of an earlier start and I'm not sure if the weather contributed (sunny) but I had an enjoyable lesson!

I didn't stall once - woohoo I broke my record! Although I probably would have once when I was approaching a mini roundabout and was going uphill but the instructor helped me at that point.

Yeah, so today's lesson we focused on roundabouts which I thought would be terrible. We did go to a busier one marked with signs on the floor once but then we went to a different one which is covered in grass and no road markings on the floor. She made me go round it many many times so I didn't go off the roundabout and kept going round in circles.

At first I drove very fast not realising that the roundabout was not flat. It goes uphill a bit then downhill. So I then eased off the gas and pressed on the gas when needed and it was okay I guess. Probably wouldn't say the same about other roundabouts but I don't feel like they're my enemy yet like traffic lights were.

That said, I feel better with traffic lights too. It seems this lesson felt way better in terms of everything. I only had one person overtake me but it was silly because they overtook me by a pedestrian crossing (3 points on your license as my instructor puts it) and ended up stopping at the next set of traffic lights anyway which were only a few feet away.

My instructor sad my clutch control has got much better this lesson in comparison to last week and my overall driving was better today as well. She also reminded me to book my theory test which I will do asap so things are looking okay although I know each lesson is different.

One thing - I don't feel very happy driving at 40mph because I feel it's too fast! Wonder how long it will take to get used to that.
driving2day

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:04 pm

You drove on a roundabout covered in grass!!!!

Sounds more positive, well done, keep it up.

As for the idiot overtaking near the crossing, let them get on with it, its their licence!

Need to get to work on your theory now, cant help with that, forgotten most of it!!..just joking guys :D

Practise, practise and yet more practise, oh by the way I have been known to stall my minibus occasionally so dont let it get you down.
Ivor
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby fungus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:11 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:As for the idiot overtaking near the crossing, let them get on with it, its their licence!

Exactly. Don't try to enforce the law. Thats for the police to do.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum