New Learner - My Online Diary

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ROG » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm

fungus wrote:
IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:As for the idiot overtaking near the crossing, let them get on with it, its their licence!

Exactly. Don't try to enforce the law. Thats for the police to do.

You may use your horn if you think that someone is in danger so as to warn perhaps a person who is about to walk in front of the daft driver
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby GJD » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

ROG wrote:You may use your horn if you think that someone is in danger so as to warn perhaps a person who is about to walk in front of the daft driver

May you? I think it would contravene the Highway Code, if not necessarily the law: rule 112 says "Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence". (My emphasis).
GJD

Postby hir » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 pm

GJD wrote:
ROG wrote:You may use your horn if you think that someone is in danger so as to warn perhaps a person who is about to walk in front of the daft driver

May you? I think it would contravene the Highway Code, if not necessarily the law: rule 112 says "Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence". (My emphasis).

Who cares what the Highway Code says if your action invokes the safety override and results in saving someone from serious injury? "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools"
hir

Postby GJD » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:16 pm

hir wrote:Who cares what the Highway Code says if your action invokes the safety override and results in saving someone from serious injury?

Not me. That wasn't the point of my post. I probably wouldn't care much what the law said either.

hir wrote: "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools"

No argument with that :) .
GJD

Postby hir » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 pm

GJD wrote:
Not me. That wasn't the point of my post.

Apologies, I misunderstood. I'm pleased that we agree on this.
hir

Postby martine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:36 pm

hir wrote:
GJD wrote:

Ahhh...this is all cuddly and nice...you're both playing well together now... :wink:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 pm

martine wrote:
hir wrote:
GJD wrote:

Ahhh...this is all cuddly and nice...you're both playing well together now... :wink:

Ooh great. Can I join in? 8)

Anyhow, if an imminent threat to safety can be avoided or reduced by a bit of illegality, I'd say do it. Those who are there at the time are likely to know better than remote rule makers.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Wonder if our intrepid learner driver has lost the will to live yet? :lol:
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:39 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Wonder if our intrepid learner driver has lost the will to live yet? :lol:

No I haven't; but I'm afraid some aspects of the learning aren't going very well.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby driving2day » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Luckily no one was crossing!

I had another lesson today - focused on one way roads and did a 3 point turn along the lines too.

On the way we went on that normal roundabout near my house and before I moved off onto the roundabout I stalled. LOL. I think the ambulance that I could see from the right reminded me of that police car experience and I didn't want to move off despite my instructor saying go forward. The sirens were being heard!

I must admit I was probably floppy with my clutch control today but I think I no longer like 10am lessons, I prefer later in the day, so I am going to avoid taking early lessons for now.

I also went on the North Circular but stayed on the left lane (went to 5th gear although I don't think I quite reached 50mph although I was probably driving my fastest) and it was raining so I couldn't even see the road markings. My instructor had to help move the steering wheel so I stay to the left instead of going to the other lane. t was quite wierd because I actually enjoyed it, even if I was a little worried, but I fear driving 40mph on normal roads more than I did on the dual carriageway (I think that's what it is, looks like a smaller version of a motorway).

I seriously need to consider booking my theory but some of the questions in the book frustrate me and I get put off revising (the not so common sense questions). I should try to revise tomorrow though.
Female - learning to drive
driving2day

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:14 pm

driving2day wrote:
I think the ambulance that I could see from the right reminded me of that police car experience and I didn't want to move off despite my instructor saying go forward. The sirens were being heard!

but I fear driving 40mph on normal roads more than I did on the dual carriageway (I think that's what it is, looks like a smaller version of a motorway).

I seriously need to consider booking my theory but some of the questions in the book frustrate me and I get put off revising (the not so common sense questions). I should try to revise tomorrow though.

Hi, at the risk of upsetting your instructor I need to ask a couple of questions.

If the ambulance was on an emergency callout and approaching the roundabout, why did your instructor tell you to go?

Why are you unsure if it was a dual carriegeway, did your instructor not explain if it was or not?
Am I alone on here wondering about your instructor?

As to the theory most of the questions have iether a "common sense" answer or a "logical" answer.
Take it a section at a time and you will fine, dont cram too much into the brain at once.

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby fungus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:
driving2day wrote:
I think the ambulance that I could see from the right reminded me of that police car experience and I didn't want to move off despite my instructor saying go forward. The sirens were being heard!

but I fear driving 40mph on normal roads more than I did on the dual carriageway (I think that's what it is, looks like a smaller version of a motorway).

Hi, at the risk of upsetting your instructor I need to ask a couple of questions.

If the ambulance was on an emergency callout and approaching the roundabout, why did your instructor tell you to go?

Why are you unsure if it was a dual carriegeway, did your instructor not explain if it was or not?
Am I alone on here wondering about your instructor?

As to the theory most of the questions have iether a "common sense" answer or a "logical" answer.
Take it a section at a time and you will fine, dont cram too much into the brain at once.

Ivor

I would tend to agree with those sentiments Ivor.

driving2day, whilst it is understandable that you want to get your theory out of the way, there really is no point in rushing into it, especially if you are still a fair way off being ready for your practical test. I advise my pupils not to take their theory test untill they are consistantly scoring 46 out of 50.

A dual carriageway must have a physical barrier seperating the two carriageways, ie. kerbing, a crash barrier, or a bank running between the two etc. A white line painted on the road, even if there are two lanes on either side, would not constitute a dual carriageway.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Gareth » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:41 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:If the ambulance was on an emergency callout and approaching the roundabout, why did your instructor tell you to go?

It's probably a matter of perspective, in this case that of driving on busy London roads where other motorists are possibly more impatient than in other areas of the UK. If the instructor thought there was plenty of time to continue onto the roundabout without inconveniencing the ambulance driver, then it's understandable. Learners tend to be hesitant to begin with, and it takes time to develop the judgement to know whether to set off or to wait, so the instructor will be trying to provide practical experience by telling the learner what they should do in uncertain situations. However, if the learner is still unsure, waiting is clearly the safer option.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 am

Gareth wrote:
IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:If the ambulance was on an emergency callout and approaching the roundabout, why did your instructor tell you to go?

It's probably a matter of perspective, in this case that of driving on busy London roads where other motorists are possibly more impatient than in other areas of the UK. If the instructor thought there was plenty of time to continue onto the roundabout without inconveniencing the ambulance driver, then it's understandable..

Ok Gareth I can see your point but surely to almost encourage a driver to pull out despite the ambulance, is only encouraging the same impatience in the learner.
I think and I know I am not an instructor, it could have been better to waited until the pupil knew where the vehicle was going, more valuable experience to be gained that way surely.

Ivor
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby TripleS » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:38 pm

GJD wrote:

In most cases I expect it will be appropriate, but I wonder if the HC reference to your presence could occasionally be too restrictive, and deter somebody from giving a general warning.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum