Over shoulder checks

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Wolfy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi all....

Im, speaking as a 46 yr who has been driving for almost 30 years. I passed ther IAM Advanced driving test and also went ton to become a qualified observer for them.

My son is a 17 tr old learner and currently on his 8th lesson.

Ive noticed while out driving with him, that he never uses the "over shoulder check" He only uses his mirrors.

i asked him to ask his instructor about this to make sure it wasnt my son gettingit wrong....

I was amazed at he answer..

the unstructor said "they dont teach over shoulder checks anymore, they are considered dangerous because you have your eyes off the road and could swerve into traffic."

He said the only time you are taught to OSC is when moving off or slow speed manouvres.

Is this right ?

Id be interested on otehrs opinions.

regards

Paul.
Wolfy

Postby ROG » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Tell him to ask his instructor if he should do an over the shoulder check when joining a dual carriageway from a slip road at 40+ mph when traffic is fairly heavy?

I would be interested to know what answer the instructor gives............
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Astraist » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Depending on how the car's mirrors are adjusted, the necessity of shoulder checks can be reduced, but never eliminated. I teach my students to open the mirrors as to leave no blind spot in the near lane which would require a shoulder check. I do instruct to perform such checks when there is also a third lane, but even in this case, it's not so much as looking all over the shoulder and behind, but simply titling the head to the side slightly.
Astraist

Postby fungus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:21 pm

He will fail a driving test if he doesn't. I had one fail on exactly that after her emergency stop. At the debrief the examiner said that although the rest of her observations were correct, if she had only looked over her right shoulder before moving off, she would have passed. Don't leave anything to chance. Encourage that over the shoulder check.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby fungus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Sorry I misread your post. But the reply given by ROG is very valid.

The check should not be so far that he pulls the wheel to the right, but in my oppinion an examiner will look for a shoulder check after mirrors, before a signal is given.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 am

Hi guys,

I still do my over the shoulder check, but normally only when joining from slip roads, its not so much to see what I might have missed but more to confirm what I have seen in the mirrors.

Having sore shoulder does make it hard to do otherwise so I just make sure mirrors are right but I still thought it would be part of the test
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby 7db » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:20 am

Wolfy wrote:the unstructor said "they dont teach over shoulder checks anymore, they are considered dangerous because you have your eyes off the road and could swerve into traffic."

If you can't change your gaze without swerving into traffic, then I'd suggest there's a serious problem. I do a shoulder check when joining -- often a long gaze or double-look (helps detect relative movement) if I've seen that the road ahead has a lot of clear space.
7db

Postby crr003 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Wolfy wrote:I was amazed at he answer..

the unstructor said "they dont teach over shoulder checks anymore, they are considered dangerous because you have your eyes off the road and could swerve into traffic."

He said the only time you are taught to OSC is when moving off or slow speed manouvres.

Is this right ?

Id be interested on otehrs opinions.

"Driving - the essential skills", the DSA book for learners, professional drivers and instructors, says on page 68 (2009 ed.):
"Checking blind spots on the move
There will be occasions when it will be necessary to check blind spots on the move. These blind spots will be to either side, and should not require looking round, but rather a quick sideways glance.

Looking right round to check blind spots on the move is unnecessary and dangerous, especially when driving at high speeds; in the time it takes you'll lose touch with what's happening in front.
Take a quick sideways glance
* before changing lanes
* before joining a motorway or DC from a slip road
* before manoeuvring in situations where traffic is merging from left or right"
crr003

Postby Gareth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:43 am

That highlights the difference between looking to the side and relying on peripheral vision to cover the blind spot, and turning your head further to actually look into the blind spot. The former shouldn't cause any trouble for most learners but the latter will almost certainly disturb the posture and will probably cause an unexpected steering deflection in the direction turned.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Return to Learner Driver Forum