Passing a theory test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby daz6215 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:26 pm

To be fair he has given some good advice, the hazard perception can cause problems for some and the advice given about saying to yourself 'mirror' before clicking does help! often people will click too soon and miss the window, this technique will normally help the user to get into the scoring zone.
daz6215

Postby drivingschool » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 am

Don't panic. All I can say as its just common sense. Look if you see driveways, a bus with school sign, cars on both sides of the road etc. these are all hazards. Anything that would make you slow down. And don't click to many times.
drivingschool

Postby martine » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:25 am

drivingschool wrote:Don't panic. All I can say as its just common sense. Look if you see driveways, a bus with school sign, cars on both sides of the road etc. these are all hazards. Anything that would make you slow down. And don't click to many times.

Not quite as simple as that...the Hazard Perception Test is about identifiying 'developing' hazards...if you click everytime you see a driveway, a bus etc you will fail. The hazard must be getting worse...i.e. a pedestrian running along the pavement...and then looking over their shoulder (as if to cross the road).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:39 pm

drivingschool wrote:Don't panic. All I can say as its just common sense. Look if you see driveways, a bus with school sign, cars on both sides of the road etc. these are all hazards. Anything that would make you slow down. And don't click to many times.

That's the reason Police class 1s often fail it. Seen the hazard, made plans to deal with it, moved on.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Independent Driving » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 pm

There is a web site called theory test pro and it is updated all the time. It has every question you need and lots of clips for HP.
I pay £4 a month for the privalage of being able to log in a pupil and they can go on the site 24/7. If you find it on the web you can have a free trial and see how it works..
Good luck to all doing the test
Independent Driving

Postby martine » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:57 am

Independent Driving wrote:There is a web site called theory test pro and it is updated all the time. It has every question you need and lots of clips for HP.
I pay £4 a month for the privalage of being able to log in a pupil and they can go on the site 24/7. If you find it on the web you can have a free trial and see how it works..

But remember the DSA official question bank is changing and will not be published from January...the DSA are keen to stop people learning the answers by rote and encourage them to read the books to understand the bigger picture.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby crr003 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:19 am

martine wrote:
Independent Driving wrote:There is a web site called theory test pro and it is updated all the time. It has every question you need and lots of clips for HP.

But remember the DSA official question bank is changing and will not be published from January...the DSA are keen to stop people learning the answers by rote and encourage them to read the books to understand the bigger picture.

Interesting quote from theory test pro website:

"The DSA has advised us that the new live question bank will not radically differ from the existing questions in any way; they will cover the same topics, but may be worded differently to prevent candidate recognition (as opposed to understanding) of the questions."

And it's £8/month for new customers.
crr003

Postby Independent Driving » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:43 am

That's true and i on the whole agree but everybody is different and everybody learns a different way so whats works for one may not work for all. Should they suffer? Are they a lesser prepared driver? Perhaps they just cant learn from revising from books but are excellent at practicals? Its a never ending debate and there is no right or wrong way to learn in my opinion.
Independent Driving

Postby fungus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:25 pm

I used to recommend in the days before the computorised test, that pupils read Driving the Essential Skills, along with the Highway Code and Know your Traffic Signs, and not to bother with the theory test book. I could never see the benefit of having questions on one page with the answers on the opposite page :shock:. At least if the three books above were read, I think a fuller understanding of theory is more likely to be developed. I also used to, and still do if a pupil shows signs of struggling with theory, give out practice papers which were discussed after I had marked them.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

martine wrote:Hi puddlehopper2 and welcome.

Small suggestion: your first 2 posts here are incredibily long and to be honest many people won't bother reading them. Can I suggest you try and keep your posts to a few sentences and also make a point or answer a question directly rather than describing your experiences?

Do you have any questions about advanced driving?

I enjoyed puddlehopper's post and found it relevant to the thread and helpful. I didn't realise there were rules about length of post now .... :P

Perhaps you should seek some memory training as you obviously suffer from a short attention ... what were we talking about?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Mr CholmondeleyWarner wrote:-I enjoyed puddlehopper's post and found it relevant to the thread and helpful. I didn't realise there were rules about length of post now .... :P

Just a friendly suggestion not a rule...I was a bit taken back by his first 2 posts on the forum being rather lenghty and not asking direct questions or making a direct point.[/quote]

Mr CholmondeleyWarner wrote:-Perhaps you should seek some memory training as you obviously suffer from a short attention ... what were we talking about?

Eh...who said that...what's your name again...
martine

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum