Passing a theory test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby DanielPacey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:29 am

Please could you give some hints or tips, when taking my theory test for my driving?
Thankyou
DanielPacey

Postby martine » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:13 am

{moved to Learner Forum}
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby martine » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:23 am

Hi there.

The Theory CDs are good but there are also some websites that let you practice in a realistic way, on-screen. Try google.

You need to read The Highway Code obviously and I'd suggest the DSA book: 'Driving: The Essential Skills' - loads of good advice and pretty pictures :D

The hazard perception part of the theory test is interesting...some people have a real problem with identifying 'developing' hazards and others sail through it. The websites often simulate these clips as well...don't go berserk with clicking on hazards...you get penalised as they realise you are just swamping hoping to click at the right time by chance.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby DanielPacey » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 am

oh ok thankyou for your help, that was very useful, do you know a rough price of how much these CD's cost?
DanielPacey

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:48 pm

DanielPacey wrote:oh ok thankyou for your help, that was very useful, do you know a rough price of how much these CD's cost?

There are the official DSA versions and other, generally cheaper third party ones. Amazon usually have a good selection, as do Waterstones book shops. I've seen 3rd party ones for £5 in local supermarkets.
Gromit37

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Gromit37 wrote:I've seen 3rd party ones for £5 in local supermarkets.

probably Driving Test Success...and im told it is the best one on the market, you can practice as many 'real' tests as you like. I would recommend it :wink:

My daughter had an absolute nightmare passing the theory test as she had problems understanding the questions. We got there eventually after a lot of hard work.

Practice is really the key...buy the CD and do 1 or 2 tests every day. It will give you your pass mark so you will see you are improving. Most people will only need a couple of weeks of practising before they are ready to sit the test....good luck :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 am

:idea: http://www.desktopdriving.co.uk/index.php?cPath=51 might be good for cheaper books and CDs

Get a compentant driver to ask you the theory questions as that way they have the oportunity to prompt you should you struggle for the answers :idea:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby drivingschoolnewbury » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Most pupils I find concentrate only on the questions. When I ask how the practice is going for the hazard perception (HP) they seem to have forgotten that part of the test.

You can get the cd's from amazon. As someone else said the driving test success ones are good.
When I first tried the HP as a trainee driving instructor I was rubbish, even though I had been driving for 20 years.

Then a trainer told me how to do it:
If you see a potential hazard (e.g. a pedestrian on the pavement) click once.
If the hazard develops (the pedestrian looks over their shoulder and edges closer to the kerb) click a 2nd time.
If the hazard develops further (the pedestrian steps in the road) click a 3rd time.
Click at most 3 times for a hazard.

If there are lots of pedestrians crossing the road, treat them as 1 hazard so give a total of 3 clicks. If you try and give 3 clicks for each pedestrian you will get a big "X" on the screen saying you have clicked too many times.
My son took his theory about 1 year ago. He was struggling with the HP. I gave him that advice and as if by magic he started passing the mock hazard tests.

I had a pupil who scored 75 out 75 on the HP but failed his questions by 1 mark. Next attempt he passed the questions and got 74 out of 75 for the HP. Showed that his score on the HP was no fluke. He was a keen cyclist so I guess his HP was naturally very good. Never heard of anyone getting that high a score before on the HP test.

Good luck :)
drivingschoolnewbury

Postby ROG » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Does passing the HPT actually have a positive effect for first time learners?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby drivingschoolnewbury » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:41 pm

ROG wrote:Does passing the HPT actually have a positive effect for first time learners?

It can do. However it can be detrimental. As soon as they pass the theory test some want to book their test for like next week... even if they're not ready. Can be difficult to persuade them not too :D
drivingschoolnewbury

Postby jordan123123 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi thanks this thread is very useful,
i now feel that i have gained some useful tips on how to pass my Theory test
jordan123123

Postby puddlehopper2 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:28 pm

I found it difficult to do the HP no probs with the questions
been driving for 30 yrs passed car test in 1980 but needed to do it for bike test
was horrible lol
apparently i was clicking to early and missing the 54321 like i would have got 6 or 7 if they had been there.
that was only after i understood it.
the first time i tried a cd i didnt click before the film finished (was looking for kids with breeze blocks on m way bridges and push bikes flying into the road off the pavement etc )
then i realised it was potential hazards :)

however the official dsa cd explained it ok but only 2 clips and when they are done they are pointless keep doing
so i got an aa one which had loads of clips to practice with and tried that
out of about 20 attempts i scraped 2 passes (just) when i decided that the best way for me to go was when i spot the hazard click and because i missed by being to early click again,

so every time i spotted a potential hazard i used the method MIRROR click SIGNAL click Manouvre click left 1 second between each of the clicks hence the words

decided to book the test like a mock 32 quid but worth it to see if it was any better on their real clips and equipment

took the 15 minute break thats offered and watched the video and lo and behold hazard perception was explained to me in a very concise to the point and simple way and i just got it
got a better score on the HP than i did on the questions but hey i passed

the dsa dvd explains the hazard perception ok but it is a bit long winded and fussy, and too many distractions with the nicey smiley lady waffling on about it

just a pity you have to pay 32 quid to see the hey this is what you do and how you do it in plain simple english video :P
so my advice would be have a go on the dvds to get the idea of what your looking at then dont worry if you dont pass on the store bought things as they are a bit rubbish,
invest in the test you can always do it again and be less nervous next time.
take the break watch the video and LISTEN
but that is provided that you are confident with the tricky questions READ EACH ONE TWICE so you dont assume and get one stupidly wrong like i did lol
puddlehopper2

Postby martine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi puddlehopper2 and welcome.

Small suggestion: your first 2 posts here are incredibily long and to be honest many people won't bother reading them. Can I suggest you try and keep your posts to a few sentences and also make a point or answer a question directly rather than describing your experiences?

Do you have any questions about advanced driving?
martine

Postby Andy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:50 pm

martine wrote:Do you have any questions about advanced driving?

Given the original question asked, is that a rhetorical question? To be fair, this thread is (now) in an area entitled 'Learner Driving Forum'.

Should your question not be why there is a 'Learner Driving Forum' on a site entitled Advanced Driving UK and ideally, directed at the site administrators? :?
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby martine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Andy wrote:
martine wrote:Do you have any questions about advanced driving?

Given the original question asked, is that a rhetorical question? To be fair, this thread is (now) in an area entitled 'Learner Driving Forum'.

Should your question not be why there is a 'Learner Driving Forum' on a site entitled Advanced Driving UK and ideally, directed at the site administrators? :?

Andy - my comment was aimed at the newby puddlejumper - I was encouraging them to perhaps ask a question of their own rather than lengthy replies to others.

As far as the 'learner' forum goes - what's wrong with having one here? We are trying to encourage people of all experience levels to think and get involved in AD...the earlier the better.

PS. I am an admin here.
martine

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum