Hello All

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby bryazz » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Hello All,

I am new to the forum,and I am learning to drive,

I started lessons some years ago and stopped,and recently I have started to take them again.

I am armed with a book of the highway code.

My question is

Would any of you recommend I stick with my book,or should I also purchase those softwares with the highway code?

Many Thanks,

Bryan.
bryazz

Postby daz6215 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 pm

The discs will help prepare you for the theory/hazard perception so I would buy them, you may also wish to consider 'Driving the Essential Skills'.
daz6215

Postby ROG » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:33 am

http://www.desktopdriving.co.uk/index.php?cPath=51
try the above for cheaper books/cds
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:43 am

Hi Bryan and welcome!

Good advice above. The factual info you need is in the Highway Code but many people need practice on the 'Hazard Perception Test' and the DVDs and/or websites are good for this. The other book mentioned above (Driving: the essential skills) is more about techniques and advice...it's quite a big book but has loads of pretty diagrams. It's written by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) - the organisation that sets the L-test - so it's defintely worth reading.

Are you learning with an instructor or family/friends?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby bryazz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm learning with an instructor.
bryazz

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Welcome!

Although I went through the 'learning to drive' process a little while ago *cough* and didn't have to do any more than answer four verbal HC questions, I'd recommend getting practice at the method of testing and the Haz Per test format.

Good luck!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ROG » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:36 am

After you pass the test consider carefully whether to do the pass plus as I believe many insurers do not now offer discounts for it

Instead of PP consider joining your local advanced driving group as many observers/tutors are prepared to assist you with the same things that are on the PP
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby gfoot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:09 pm

gfoot

Postby fungus » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Hello Bryan, and welcome to the forum.

On the Department for Transport website, you can down load their publication, Know your Traffic Signs. If you go to directgov.co.uk and then click on the DfT, you will be able to search their website for it. The book itself can be difficult to find, but as far as road signs and markings are concerned, it's more comprehensive than the Highway Code.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Wessex » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Bryan. All good advice and the Driving Test Success DVDs are brilliant.

When it comes to the Hazard Perception videos just remember that those on the DVD have been filmed by a guy just driving about and are very good but the DSA HP clips look a bit contrived at times and are a lot easier to spot. Also the quality on the DSA screen is far superior and a lot clearer.

Good luck.
Wessex

Postby Tr1angle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:32 am

Hello! It's been a while since I've learned to drive myself, but i mostly picked up everything I needed to know from a book and my instructor as well as some practical experience. It's nifty how much you can learn from technology nowadays...
Tr1angle

Return to Learner Driver Forum