Photocard Expiry

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby crr003 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:58 pm

foxtrot_mike wrote:
fungus wrote:I still have the old style green paper licence and will only change when the law changes and I am forced to.

What dont you like about the new one?

Some of the older folk seem to object to paying £2 a year for the privilege of supporting the system!

Surprising how some people stay in one place so long that they don't need to update their address too!
crr003

Postby fungus » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:42 pm

crr003 wrote:
foxtrot_mike wrote:
fungus wrote:I still have the old style green paper licence and will only change when the law changes and I am forced to.

Some of the older folk seem to object to paying £2 a year for the privilege of supporting the system!

Surprising how some people stay in one place so long that they don't need to update their address too!

I have nothing against the new licence, but why bother until I need to?

Coming up 30 years at the same address.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby michael769 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:12 pm

crr003 wrote:Some of the older folk seem to object to paying £2 a year for the privilege of supporting the system!

When I paid for my provisional I was promised that I'd never have to pay again until I hit 70. When I moved home (and thus switched to the photocard) that promise was broken. That annoys me more than the fee.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby crr003 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 pm

michael769 wrote:
crr003 wrote:Some of the older folk seem to object to paying £2 a year for the privilege of supporting the system!

When I paid for my provisional I was promised that I'd never have to pay again until I hit 70. When I moved home (and thus switched to the photocard) that promise was broken. That annoys me more than the fee.

I can remember when each way through the Mersey Tunnel was 1s 6d. They said once it was paid for (building the first tunnel), it would be free.
Now it's £1.50 each way.

Life is full of disappointments.................... :cry:
crr003

Postby RichardFrench » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:51 pm

crr003 wrote:
foxtrot_mike wrote:

^ Eeerrr... Supporting what system exactly?
You mean the almost instant and automated, now computerised, means of pumping the public for cash?
That system?

@fungus: You may need to re-read the 65,000 or so statutes and acts currently in force as ignorantia legis neminem excusat.
I very much doubt you will be informed as to your obligation.
Mechanic in Bristol
RichardFrench

Postby crr003 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:19 pm

RichardFrench wrote:^ Eeerrr... Supporting what system exactly?
You mean the almost instant and automated, now computerised, means of pumping the public for cash?
That system?

And I'm sure we're still paying for the software and database design............................ :)
I think it's reasonable to have a relatively updated picture (if you're going to bother having a picture) and I don't object to paying towards it. Any little I can do to help support the Country.

At least I am happy in the knowledge that if I end up dead somewhere, the Authorities will be able to easily identify me (if my head's still around), and they'll know my current address. Not bad for only £2 a year. :wink:
crr003

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:13 pm

crr003 wrote:At least I am happy in the knowledge that if I end up dead somewhere, the Authorities will be able to easily identify me (if my head's still around), and they'll know my current address.

So a driving licence is, in fact, an ID card? :P

<.... runs away, cackling ....>

PS my licence is pink, but contains no photo.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby crr003 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
crr003 wrote:At least I am happy in the knowledge that if I end up dead somewhere, the Authorities will be able to easily identify me (if my head's still around), and they'll know my current address.

So a driving licence is, in fact, an ID card? :P

<.... runs away, cackling ....>

PS my licence is pink, but contains no photo.

Let's see if this comes in before you reach 70!
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/49/section/39
crr003

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum