Photocard Expiry

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby mdax4 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:34 pm

It looks as if I need to renew the photo on my photocard license.

However I only have a provisional license.

Am I right in thinking that this will only become an issue if I actually pass a test and obtain a full license? I.e., it would not in itself be sufficient to stop me taking the practical test?
mdax4

Postby crr003 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:53 pm

mdax4 wrote:It looks as if I need to renew the photo on my photocard license.

However I only have a provisional license.

Am I right in thinking that this will only become an issue if I actually pass a test and obtain a full license? I.e., it would not in itself be sufficient to stop me taking the practical test?

http://www.provisionaldrivinglicence.co.uk/2011/03/renewing-provisional-licence-photo.html

"You must update your photograph on your provisional photocard licence before it expires, failing to do so may result in a fine up to £1,000."
crr003

Postby ROG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 pm

The DSA examiner will also ensure that the licence is valid before the candidate is allowed to take a test

The licence is not valid if any part of it is out of date

The licence is not the same as the categories listed on the licence
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:56 pm

mdax4 wrote:It looks as if I need to renew the photo on my photocard license.

Once it expires the law requires that you surrender your license to the DVLA - either by sending it off for renewal or by giving it up entirely. Maximum fine is as mentioned £1000. This applies even if you were not driving. You also risk the DVLA revoking the license entirely.

It is still technically legal to drive (and you can drive while it is sent off for renewal) until/unless it is revoked - but no examiner would allow a test to proceed with an out of date photocard, and I would be surprised if any ADI would be willing to take you out if they became aware that it had run out.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby mdax4 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Many thanks for all the replies.

I took a closer look and although a specific expiration date is not mentioned it looks to me as if it must already have expired. (This is correspondence I received while abroad).

However, I have not taken any form of driving instruction since the date of correspondence.

Am I to gather that I could be liable for a fine even though I haven't been driving since it expired?
mdax4

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:50 pm

The expiry date of the photocard is the date 4b. on the front of the card.
mdax4 wrote:

Am I to gather that I could be liable for a fine even though I haven't been driving since it expired?

In theory. I believe that they have decided to apply a "light touch" approach to this until folks get used to having to renew, so as long as you send off for renewal, and don't get caught driving without having sent of the application I doubt they would raise it, but probably best to include a letter saying you were out of the country just to be on the safe side.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby ROG » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:27 pm

michael769 wrote:It is still technically legal to drive (and you can drive while it is sent off for renewal) until/unless it is revoked

Odd one is this
The law broken is not having a valid driving licence
Not the other law which is not having passed the relevant test in order to drive

Think I got that ok ?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby vonhosen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:11 pm

ROG wrote:
michael769 wrote:It is still technically legal to drive (and you can drive while it is sent off for renewal) until/unless it is revoked

Odd one is this
The law broken is not having a valid driving licence
Not the other law which is not having passed the relevant test in order to drive

Think I got that ok ?

You've committed an offence of failing to surrender it for a photograph change by the due date. The offence has nothing to do with driving, you commit the offence by failing to surrender it even if you've never driven while holding the licence.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby daz6215 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:00 pm

I came across this whilst checking the licence of a driver for a pre employment driving course, the date on the photocard had expired, so I then rang the DVLA to do a full licence check, the reply was: yes he can drive as the licence is valid until he is 70, but he may commit the offence of not having renewed the photocard which can carry upto a £1000 fine, then just before I was about to hang up they said actually he cant drive! We have revoked his licence because he has not renewed the photcard for a substantial period and as far as we are concerned he may have died and we wouldn't know. The gentlemen concerned had already been driving for this large bluechip client. So the moral of the story was, if you dont renew your photocard in an acceptable time then they might revoke your licence, the gentlemen concerned had to leave his car and get a taxi home from work! It also highlights the importance of regular licence checks!
daz6215

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:29 pm

I let mine lapse by a few months before someone reminded me that they expire. :oops: Don't know if people know, but I was able to renew it online without physically sending in anything (including a new photo) - they were able to use the photo off my passport application. Really simple to do...
You may have speed, but I have momentum
YorkshireJumbo

Postby fungus » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:06 pm

I still have the old style green paper licence and will only change when the law changes and I am forced to.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby brianhaddon » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:02 am

fungus wrote:I still have the old style green paper licence and will only change when the law changes and I am forced to.

And me.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby jcochrane » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:07 pm

I used to have one of those nice red cloth bound ones. Now it's a boring green bit of paper. :cry:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby foxtrot_mike » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:39 pm

fungus wrote:I still have the old style green paper licence and will only change when the law changes and I am forced to.

What dont you like about the new one?
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:56 pm

foxtrot_mike wrote:

What dont you like about the new one?

MONEY
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum