When to start teaching reversing.

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby fungus » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:59 pm

I have just had a phone call from a pupil who has just completed thirteen hours with no previous experience or private practice. She is a good learner, but not what you would call a natural and could be a bit nervous. However she has always been happy with her lessons, a fact born out by the fact that she paid me for a block of ten lessons this afternoon.

In todays lesson we started reversing in a straight line, which she did very well. We have previously been working on T junctions, roundabouts, meeting and planning when in residential roads with cars parked on both sides etc.

Any how, the crux of the matter is that her father thinks that she should have done all her reversing manoeuvres by now, and that she is not being pushed enough. He apparently knows another instructor who will push her much harder. I detected a hint of trepidation in her voice when she told me this. My personal preference is to only start reversing when they can drive forward without too much assistance. I get the feeling he is one of these who think that twenty lessons is enough to pass the test. :roll:

So with some annoyance I have sent a cheque for the lessons she has payed for but not yet taken.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ROG » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 pm

I would say that reversing should start asap on private ground with plenty of space - not specific stuff - just going backwards

If they do need to go backwards for any reason whilst out on a drive then at least they have some idea
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby waremark » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:19 am

Surely the order in which you teach things is not the issue here; if the father is indeed dissatisfied, it is with the general level of the pupil's progress, and the approximate number of lessons which are going to be needed. Presumably instructors often have to deal with two clients - the one learning to drive and the one paying the bills. A good instructor also has to be a good salesman and has to be able to get both these clients to buy into the approach he intends to take. I should have thought you would meet the father and review the situation with him.

Incidentally I have recently read a thread about numbers of lessons taken to pass the driving test. A number of posters were claiming very low numbers, several lower numbers than 20 - I have no comment to make on how well they learned to drive.
waremark

Postby daz6215 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:31 am

Fungus, learn her at her pace not his! You could start her with a turn in the road though when you also do Junctions, it will help with clutch control in both areas!
daz6215

Postby foxtrot_mike » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:52 pm

fungus wrote:and that she is not being pushed enough. He apparently knows another instructor who will push her much harder. I get the feeling he is one of these who think that twenty lessons is enough to pass the test. :roll:

I take issue with this based on my experiences, she must do it at her own pace there seems to be a huge push to get students through as fast as possible in as few lessons as possible, with an emphasis on learning how to pass the test rather than learning to drive, bad for road safety in my opinion.

I know lessons are expensive but the cost of failing a test and then further lessons before retakes wouldn't be cost effective.

I'm not sure why this is, maybe they want the figures for numbers of students passed or something

If i took lessons again (PCV or HGV) id be looking for quality not speed.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:59 pm

foxtrot_mike wrote:If i took lessons again (PCV or HGV) id be looking for quality not speed.

Most of those courses are done over five consecutive working days including test but then we are refering to full licence holders
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby foxtrot_mike » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:11 pm

ROG wrote:
foxtrot_mike wrote:If i took lessons again (PCV or HGV) id be looking for quality not speed.

Most of those courses are done over five consecutive working days including test but then we are refering to full licence holders

I was given 2 days then test, granted i was in a minibus but still no room to manoeuvre if your having a bad day
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby morsing » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:38 pm

waremark wrote:Incidentally I have recently read a thread about numbers of lessons taken to pass the driving test. A number of posters were claiming very low numbers, several lower numbers than 20 - I have no comment to make on how well they learned to drive.

I had 10 lessons and passed the test first time. I felt I learned how to drive perfectly within what's expected for a standard driving test.

P.S. That didn't include half a day's track manouvering and driving (incl. reversing) which was the first lesson.
morsing

Postby fungus » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:43 pm

foxtrot_mike wrote:
fungus wrote:and that she is not being pushed enough. He apparently knows another instructor who will push her much harder. I get the feeling he is one of these who think that twenty lessons is enough to pass the test. :roll:

I take issue with this based on my experiences, she must do it at her own pace there seems to be a huge push to get students through as fast as possible in as few lessons as possible, with an emphasis on learning how to pass the test rather than learning to drive, bad for road safety in my opinion.

I know lessons are expensive but the cost of failing a test and then further lessons before retakes wouldn't be cost effective.

I'm not sure why this is, maybe they want the figures for numbers of students passed or something

If i took lessons again (PCV or HGV) id be looking for quality not speed.

This is what I was doing.

She had become reasonably independent with approaching junctions and assessing safe gaps when emerging. Clutch control was generally good and she was able to plan ahead better than some that have had more lessons. We had been reversing in a straight line, and correcting position with the car facing both nose in to the kerb and out. This she accomplished with a good degree of accuracy and control.

Incidently she has not yet passed the theory test, and apparently has not practiced the hazard perception as her computer would not load the programme.

waremark wrote:Surely the order in which you teach things is not the issue here; if the father is indeed dissatisfied, it is with the general level of the pupil's progress, and the approximate number of lessons which are going to be needed. Presumably instructors often have to deal with two clients - the one learning to drive and the one paying the bills. A good instructor also has to be a good salesman and has to be able to get both these clients to buy into the approach he intends to take. I should have thought you would meet the father and review the situation with him.

Incidentally I have recently read a thread about numbers of lessons taken to pass the driving test. A number of posters were claiming very low numbers, several lower numbers than 20 - I have no comment to make on how well they learned to drive.

I was speaking to the father yesterday afternoon. He came across as the type of person who knew better than everyone else. He passed his test then drove to Plymouth a couple of days later as easily as if he'd been driving for years, but this must have been twenty odd years ago when traffic conditions were not as demanding as they are today.

I'm not sure of the figures for the present, but four or five years ago the DSA issued a leaflet by the then chief driving examiner, which was given to candidates who had passed their theory test. In this leaflet it gave the top ten reasons for practical test failure. There was also the opinion of the chief driving examiner as to why so many fail the test, simply lack of experience. Research shows that on average, those that take around forty hours professional tuition along side plenty of private practice, stand the best chance of passing.

I took my test in early 1969 and passed after only ten lessons. However, when I was in the final year of secondary school, we had two cars in which the science master used to teach us basic clutch control etc. and simple maintenance procedures. My brother also used to take me out on gravel tracks over downland at the back of Badbury Rings, an Iron Age fort near where we lived. This was on a fairly regular basis, and by the time I was seventeen, I had all basic control skills and could also reverse the car to the left, and do a three point turn. We only had the two manoeuvres in those days, not the four that they have now. There were also only about seven million cars on the roads then, as opposed to thirty two million today.

I have had pupils pass a test in fifteen lessons, but they have also had a lot of private practice.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:20 pm

fungus wrote:I was speaking to the father yesterday afternoon. He came across as the type of person who knew better than everyone else. He passed his test then drove to Plymouth a couple of days later as easily as if he'd been driving for years, but this must have been twenty odd years ago when traffic conditions were not as demanding as they are today.

Sounds like a difficult - if perhaps not unusual - client. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a bad driver too. I hope he will accept your sensible approach.

One argument to help persuade the person paying the bills to accept more than the minimum number of lessons might be to take them through the accident stats for new drivers, and the effect of an accident on insurance costs. I also passed after 10 hours of professional instruction, but I had more than one claim in my first three years of driving. Nowadays, the cost of insurance would have put me off the road.
waremark

Postby martine » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:57 pm

You've more experience than I teaching learners but my view would be you should stick to your guns...I can't see there's anything wrong in your approach. How about inviting the Dad to sit in the back during a lesson...he will then see his daughter in action and your teaching method? 'Pushing' a learner sounds fundamentally wrong to me.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:01 pm

martine wrote: How about inviting the Dad to sit in the back during a lesson.

To be honest I think this is a lost cause. From the telephone conversation with my now ex pupil, it seems that her fathers mind is made up. She needs someone to PUSH her, and I'm not the one to do it. In fact I will not push a pupil if I think it will unnerve them. It's like shouting at them. With most it would be counter productive. In fact I very rarely shout. The exceptions are if I need them to use more gas if an emerge is misjudged, or if approaching an empty roundabout with a LGV breathing down our necks and they are not responding to the situation by coming off the brakes even after the instruction "off brake". I always warn them of this possibility on their first lesson, and not to take it personally, as there is nothing I can do to get them off the brake, or apply more gas.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:28 pm

morsing wrote:
I had 10 lessons and passed the test first time. I felt I learned how to drive perfectly within what's expected for a standard driving test.

The second half of that sentence says it all really, shame that it seems to apply to most young people, no intention of learning to drive, just learn to pass the test.

One of my pals years ago passed his test on his 17th birthday, had written off 3 cars by the time he was 18 :!:
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby morsing » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:52 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:
morsing wrote:

The second half of that sentence says it all really, shame that it seems to apply to most young people, no intention of learning to drive, just learn to pass the test.

One of my pals years ago passed his test on his 17th birthday, had written off 3 cars by the time he was 18 :!:

Hang-on, I didn't say that! I just said that with what the standard driving test expects, and what my teacher could and wanted to teach, I didn't need more than 10 hours...

And just FYI, I drove for years after that before I had my first minor accident...

Even before I took my driving lessons and test I was interested in driving and my teacher instantly noticed that. In-fact, when I passed the test, he let me take his car and drive home to my parents to tell them I'd passed whilst he went shopping, something he'd never done in his 30 years of teaching, which shows just how confident he was in my driving.
morsing

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:13 am

Not particularly getting at you but.......having passed your test you then drove the instructors car without the instructor, wonder if you were still insured :lol:

Just seems sad that your instructor only felt the need to teach enough to pass the test, however the fact you are on here should mean you started learning to drive once you passed your test, too many new drivers are satisfied with passing the test and thats where they stop, 30 years later, learnt nothing and have to keep hoping everyone else avoids them.

Just for the record, I first drove at 11 years old, had my first car at 16 and still failed my first test, my instructor didn't let me drive his car, in fact I am sure he wanted to hit me with it :D
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum