Two questions

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Mariosso » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Hello

I have few questions that im not sure off
1) I want to learn driving with my dad and i know that i have to be insured to that car, but what about my dad, must he be insured?

2) Have you got any information on new rules for theory tests? Some people say that there is going to be written test and some say that new rules for theory tests are coming out on 23th of January and i dont know nothing about it.
Mariosso

Postby Gareth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 am

Unable to answer your second question but for the first it would be a very good idea for him to be insured as there will be times when he needs to take over, either to demonstrate something that he hasn't been able to get across in words or because you are unable to handle a particular situation.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ROG » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:23 pm

1 - Not a legal requirement but a common sense requirement

2 - The DSA are not issuing the current theory test books/dvds that give Q&A but instead are issuing books/dvds with the knowlegde required and then testing that knowledge when you do the theory test at the theory test centre

As there are plenty of online places to do mock theory tests then I do not see how it is going to make that much difference
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby 7db » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Just to confirm on the insurance question, he does not in law need insurance.

There are lots of things that the supervising passenger must comply with, however -- he mustn't be drunk and he can't use his handheld mobile phone -- for example -- if he needs glasses he must wear them. He can't fall asleep and he can be punished for dangerous driving if the learner does it.
7db

Postby michael769 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm

It is IMO advisable that the supervisor does have insurance in case he needs to drive the car for any reason.

In many cases adding the supervisor as a named driver to the provisional license holder's policy will actually reduce the premium compared to a single driver policy in any case.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby gannet » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:33 pm

if the learner crashes the car (not seriously), chances are the supervisor will need to drive it home as the learner may well not be in a fit state...

not that it happened to me of course :oops: :oops:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:57 pm

7db wrote:There are lots of things that the supervising passenger must comply with, however -- he mustn't be drunk and he can't use his handheld mobile phone -- for example -- if he needs glasses he must wear them. He can't fall asleep and he can be punished for dangerous driving if the learner does it.

In actual fact, IIRC, a person supervising a learner can be prosecuted for aiding and abetting if the learner commits an offence.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby 7db » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Anyone can be prosecuted for aiding and abetting (or counselling or procuring), but the burden on the supervisor is stronger than that -- you are in control of the car, not just a person who can influence the person in control of the car.
7db

Postby bbllr87 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 pm

gannet wrote:if the learner crashes the car (not seriously), chances are the supervisor will need to drive it home as the learner may well not be in a fit state...

No of course not brother gannet!
Anita.
IAM Member since 2004. Love driving with roof down, just not in traffic jams!
Crew member in Clipper 13-14 Round the World Yacht Race.
Check out my blog at http://anitasailsagain.com
bbllr87

Postby gannet » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:16 pm

bbllr87 wrote:
gannet wrote:if the learner crashes the car (not seriously), chances are the supervisor will need to drive it home as the learner may well not be in a fit state...

oh alright then, but it was only a small one :oops:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Yet no one has questioned the OP's Father's ability to teach driving. Let alone the problems possible in this situation.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Gareth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:12 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Yet no one has questioned the OP's Father's ability to teach driving. Let alone the problems possible in this situation.

Perhaps because it depends as much if not more on the ability of the pupil to learn, and perhaps because some of us were taught to drive by our parents.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:33 pm

gannet wrote:
bbllr87 wrote:

oh alright then, but it was only a small one :oops:

Size isn't everything. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Gareth wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Yet no one has questioned the OP's Father's ability to teach driving. Let alone the problems possible in this situation.

Perhaps because it depends as much if not more on the ability of the pupil to learn, and perhaps because some of us were taught to drive by our parents.

Some of us had to spend 16s 6d per lesson. :roll:

BTW, Gareth - I haven't forgotten about reading that book you very kindly sent me, and offering comments, but I have a bit of a backlog. I'll get to it within another day or two. It's all the fault of Lyndon for winding me up here. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby MOOEY » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi All,

So everyone knows - Whilst the new questions came out in January they are not goinjg to be published, just like the test routes. Although the questions have changed the topics are the sameand there are only so many questions you can ask so and I have found out that alot of the questions are same but asked differently, e.g "what would you" do rather than "what wouldn't you do" and vice versa. The other thing thats new are scenarios although they are very basic.

The one thing the DSA do have down well is dealing with Dyslexia. If someone is statemented as having dyslexia they can get help either through the questions being read through a headset (computer) or you can have a human reader. In some cases they shut the test centre so you can have a reader. Applause! applause!

If anyone has any questions about this contact me via my website.

Cheers

MOOEY
MOOEY

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum