Sustained revs gear change.

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby jcochrane » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:39 am

waremark wrote:
ROG wrote:There is enough to learn without going this far

We must remember that the training by an ADI is for the basic DSA test and anything which is not really required for safety will be just an extra burden on the learner

Expanding from the basics is what a driver can opt to do post test

Very difficult to unlearn the way you do something once you have learned it. Much easier to learn to do it right the first time.

What sort of thing are we saying would just be an extra burden on the learner? If you are talking about making smooth gear changes, I don't agree.

Yet again I find myself agreeing with you Mark. I see rev matching as part of basic car handling. It may mean a little more work to learn to do things right from the beginning rather than unlearn and redo later.

I've also found myself in the position of Nick in teaching ADIs how to rev match. Of those that do have some understanding they usually only know of blipping the throttle but not sustained and as to how this can be combined with double declutch......... :roll:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Custom24 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm

jcochrane wrote:I've also found myself in the position of Nick in teaching ADIs how to rev match. Of those that do have some understanding they usually only know of blipping the throttle but not sustained and as to how this can be combined with double declutch......... :roll:

Are you suggesting that learners should be taught not only the various ways of rev matching, but also including double declutching? Where do we draw the line for what learners should be usefully taught?
Custom24

Postby jcochrane » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Custom24 wrote:
jcochrane wrote:I've also found myself in the position of Nick in teaching ADIs how to rev match. Of those that do have some understanding they usually only know of blipping the throttle but not sustained and as to how this can be combined with double declutch......... :roll:

Are you suggesting that learners should be taught not only the various ways of rev matching, but also including double declutching? Where do we draw the line for what learners should be usefully taught?

No but at least to rev match on down shifts. It would be good though if ADIs knew of the two ways of doing it as I've found some people find one way easier than the other.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby waremark » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm

I taught my three children to drive, and I taught them to drive correctly from the start. It was not a particular problem - but I accept that I was not up against the parent paying the bill expecting me to get the learner through their test in an inadequate number of lessons.
waremark

Postby martine » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

ADIs should be teaching to the recommendations in the DSA book: "Driving - the essential skills".

On P91 it says: "To change up you should...ease off the accelerator pedal. Don't take your foot off the accelerator..."

On P92 it says: "When changing down you might need to...raise the engine speed to get a smooth change..."

It doesn't mention the specifics of 'blipping' or 'sustained' but all ADIs should know about the principle even if they don't teach it.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum