New hazard perception clips - an example

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby martine » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 am

The DSA are going to replace the existing hazard perception clips (real) with computer generated ones. They say this this will save money, allow updates more frequently and make them clearer. They've just released an example clip...

I reckon it looks pretty good.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Renny » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 am

I agree, there's a further clip there and both look not too bad.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby dombooth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 am

I did one as an example to rate it after my Hazard Perception test and it was absolutely crap.

That on the other hand is great. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby MrToad » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Is that a helmetless motorcyclist I can see?
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby jameslb101 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:32 pm

How long before the practical test goes virtual too then?
jameslb101

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 pm

martine wrote:The DSA are going to replace the existing hazard perception clips (real) with computer generated ones. They say this this will save money, allow updates more frequently and make them clearer. They've just released an example clip...

I reckon it looks pretty good.

Perhaps it's my age but that left me confused, in that , I'm not sure where I would have "clicked".
Because it was false, in terms of real life, there being no pedestrians and a lack of traffic in such an urban situation in daylight.
For me, there's something about it not being dynamic enough.
True, I find it hard to consider virtual as real.
Then, as a further criticism, we're not given a rear view.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am

When I first heard that they were going CGI I was horrified - but that's actually very good, quite realistic.

WhoseGeneration wrote: Perhaps it's my age but that left me confused, in that , I'm not sure where I would have "clicked".

If you understand the current [video] criteria, then they still apply. So the Q has to be . . . "Do you understand the current . . . ?"

i.e. You're required to click for 'developing' hazards - those where they've changed to where you need to change course or speed. Current test, each clip has just one 'developing' hazard, apart from one clip which has two.

jameslb101 wrote:How long before the practical test goes virtual too then?

What is the major cause of crashes, is it poor hazard perception or poor machine control? I've been lucky enough to drive a full-sized car simulator - it's incredibly realistic and convincing!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Return to Learner Driver Forum