What to do when there are no signs on slip roads

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby billy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:35 pm

hello, im new to the forum.im 23 years old & iv spent 4 years in the centre of london doing the black cab london knoweldge. as a result, iv spent little time on motorways and dual carridgeways, and am about to do an advanced driving test!

anyway id like to ask about somthing im unsure on and a little embarressed to ask..here goes.

when entering a dual carridgeway/motorway there are usually signs, indicating that the slip road ends, and you must merge with lane 1, or if it will continue into its own designated lane. iv noticed that a few slip roads dont have signs specifying this. the other day i merged straight into lane one assuming the slip would end, as there was no sign that it actually continued into its own lane(checked on gmaps; there was defo no sign). I did this on the assumption that if there is no sign that the slip continues, then the slip road ends, and you MUST give way...
so for my inexperience, would any of you more experienced drivers be able to enlighten me as to what i should have picked up on, so that when the sign doesnt tell me i will know in future; weather the slip becomes another lane or i have to merge with other traffic.... or is there no solution!
thanks for your time. and any replies appreciated. atb Billy
billy

Postby martine » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi billy and welcome.

I've locked this thread as I see you've also posted it in a more appropriate forum...

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4049

...best to have just one thread going so people can contribute effectively.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Return to Learner Driver Forum