another roundabout question, oh wise ones!happy new year!

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby billy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:54 pm

hello everyone, im taking a z category taxi driving test and i wanted to ask advice on a situation iv noticed turning left on roundabouts recently. I refer to bigger flowing busy roundabouts with 2 lane exits. Dont want to get this wrong!

the other day i approached the roundabout in the left lane, intending to go left. coming from the right was a car on the inside lane of the roundabout, intending to come off at same exit i intended. I move out left onto the roundabout and i am in front of him. however he has more momentum and so he moves forward until we are driving side by side, which i know is best avoided, but we both leave the roundabout safely in out respective lanes.

but my main concern and question is....
by moving out at this time, iv forced the driver to take the right hand lane on exit. Am i going against the give way rule to do this and consequently would i get a serious fault?

and

should i have waited for a wider gap to avoid driving neck and neck when turning left? somtimes a comfortable space can take a very long time, and i dont want to [u]be overcautious.[/u]

thanks for all your time as always . best wishes billy
billy

Postby 7db » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Tricky one. I'd always be wary of moving onto a roundabout so that I would be alongside another vehicle, and relying on their staying in the inside lane not to come into conflict with me. One thing I know is that cars in the inside lane always move to the outside lane. However there are two exit lanes and he might have been perfectly happy to remain offside in the exit so possibly no harm done -- extremely hard to judge without being there.

I'd avoid doing it on a test if I were you -- a short delay and you could be certain that he's safely ahead and you can accommodate him infront if he chooses your lane or both lanes (as so many vehicles on RABs do)
7db

Postby billy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm

thanks a lot for your replies guys, and good advice.
billy

Postby Russ_H » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:04 pm

I conducted quite a lot of taxi tests when I worked for DSA.

From your description, it sounds very likely that the incident would have been assessed as a serious fault.

The pass rate on taxi tests was very low. Few candidates took any training. Common issues were absence of observation when manoeuvring; poor mirror use; and failing to check blind spots before moving off. It would probably be a good idea to get some training before you go for your test. Google will no doubt find a few ADIs in your area who offer taxi training.
Russ_H

Postby billy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm

thanks russ i will look into that.atb
billy

Return to Learner Driver Forum