Help with stopping procedure

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby waremark » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:14 pm

sherlock wrote:Surely the two go hand-in-hand waremark. If you're being taught defective or incorrect procedures then you're never going to be a good driver regardless of the test situation.

It would be nice to think that was true. We have been given examples in this thread of styles of driving which would be welcomed on an advanced driving test but result in being marked down on a DSA test. Would it be true to say that the DSA test focuses on strict compliance with procedures, because new drivers cannot be relied on to exercise sound judgement, and that good driving depends more on responsible attitudes combined with the exercise of good judgement?
waremark

Postby fungus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:59 pm

waremark wrote:Would it be true to say that the DSA test focuses on strict compliance with procedures, because new drivers cannot be relied on to exercise sound judgement, and that good driving depends more on responsible attitudes combined with the exercise of good judgement?

I would say that in some respects the DSA is less black and white than it was a few years ago. However,there are some procedures that will not be be tolerated for the reason you have mentioned, namely that learners can not be relied upon to exercise sound judgement, neither can some experienced drivers for that matter though. To give an example. Straight lining a roundabout will usually be met by the comment that "there is the potential for danger" by the examiner on the test de brief, even if the candidate has checked that it is safe. I know that some of my pupils have stopped on the foot brake and engaged 1st ready to go, before applying the hand brake. I have never had this marked as a fault in the eleven years that I have been an ADI.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum