Help with stopping procedure

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby sherlock » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 am

Edited
Last edited by sherlock on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sherlock

Postby sherlock » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:46 am

Surely the two go hand in hand. Train to be a good driver and the chances are you'll have no difficulty with the driving test. What concerned me was the fact that she was not being trained to be a good driver, and had I permitted this to continue one wonders what other areas of bad habits he would have left her with, requiring correction at a later stage. I'm sure you'll agree a much more difficult task to unlearn a habit, than to simply learn the correct procedures first time round.
sherlock

Postby The Thinker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 am

What does she do on a hill?
The Thinker

Postby sherlock » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:36 am

Thus far, and as she's a brand new driver with 5 lessons, hill starts have not featured.
sherlock

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Just a thought if your an advanced instructor and want things done your way why are you not teaching her? The instructor is right that come the test it would not be marked providing its safe, that's not to say its right, but there might be an alternative reason, not sure what that would be, but its a shame if he does not explain you end up with this situation
Nigel

Postby sherlock » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:34 pm

The reason I'm not teaching her is to ensure that marital harmony reigns supreme! Plus the fact that she could gain the benefits of using a dual-controlled car, therefore all round, paying a driving school was the better option.
sherlock

Postby Gareth » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:49 pm

sherlock wrote:marital harmony

Hopefully you mean familial harmony :D unless your spouse sides with your daughter in arguments :lol:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby sherlock » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Jeez spouse siding with only daughter - what a novel idea :lol:
sherlock

Postby daz6215 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:31 pm

S-Steering
H-Handrake
A-And
G-Gear

I never forgot that for some reason! :D
daz6215

Postby Nigel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:25 am

sherlock wrote:The reason I'm not teaching her is to ensure that marital harmony reigns supreme! Plus the fact that she could gain the benefits of using a dual-controlled car, therefore all round, paying a driving school was the better option.

Fair point I couldn't teach my daughter and had duals as well
Have you thought about sitting in on a lesson, I would always try and get parents in if there's any concerns.
2 other thoughts I take it the car does not have hill assist, and he's not trying to teach her anticipation as they approach the lights they are slowing down, changing down into first on the move then stopping, or going as the lights change? As I said just a thought.
Nigel

Postby sherlock » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:12 am

Morning Nigel,

No the car does not have hill assist, and when asked why he was teaching this method, no mention was made of anticipation. His response was that he did it that way - GBH - as it helped pupils not getting hung up on overuse and reliance on the handbrake !

I did consider sitting in, but in our telephone call he made it clear, but not in so many words, that he didn't think having a parent in the car helped.
sherlock

Postby Nigel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:00 pm

Ok in that case I would suggest you find another instructor, its a shame when it comes to that but that's life I suppose
Nigel

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 pm

I have always been taught handbrake and then gear, gear then handbrake

Nigel wrote:Just a thought if your an advanced instructor and want things done your way why are you not teaching her? The instructor is right that come the test it would not be marked providing its safe, that's not to say its right, but there might be an alternative reason, not sure what that would be, but its a shame if he does not explain you end up with this situation

I was taught by both a DSA and my father who is an advanced driver and received 2 minors on my test, one for straight lining a roundabout and the other for failing to signal (there was no one around and it was a lane change)

I now believe that the key is to learn to drive to pass your test and then take further training to drive 'correctly'
Jack Norris
MKAM
IAM member and trainee observer
18 Y.O
Jack

Postby reesey82 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:31 am

always handbrake then out of gear for me. as it says in driving the essential skills book
reesey82

Postby sherlock » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:02 am

Surely the two go hand-in-hand waremark. If you're being taught defective or incorrect procedures then you're never going to be a good driver regardless of the test situation.
sherlock

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum